driving lights on all the time?

Philip2

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
When I am behind another car I see reflections of my driving lights being on even though the light switch is off. Curiously when I turn the light switch to driving light position these lights go out. Obviously I have no idea if these lights are on while the cars in motion. Is this normal?

Philip2

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
by DRL I assume you mean what I mean driving lights. It is not the headlights that are on.
If these lights are on all the time, what is the purpose of the setting on the light list below headlights.?

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
You can always put the light switch in different settings and get out of the car to look to see which lights are on.

Or, pull up to a glass front business where you can see the reflection of your car in the glass, and flip the switches. I did this just the other day in my wife's QX50.

Kraig Wilkinson

Registered Member
New Jersey now live in South Dakota
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
You can always put the light switch in different settings and get out of the car to look to see which lights are on.

Or, pull up to a glass front business where you can see the reflection of your car in the glass, and flip the switches. I did this just the other day in my wife's QX50.
That's how I check my stop lamps. 👍

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Is there a reason that Auto setting doesnt work? Why move it from there ever?
I've turned mine off from time to time, like when pulled up to a business and I don't want my headlights shining into their windows. Or when I'm doing my nighttime recon work as a crime fighter. 😆

Richard Mississauga

Old Fart
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Canada
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
When I am behind another car I see reflections of my driving lights being on even though the light switch is off. Curiously when I turn the light switch to driving light position these lights go out. Obviously I have no idea if these lights are on while the cars in motion. Is this normal?

Are you perchance in Canada?? Or did you buy a Canadian car? Up here in Canada ..the Daytime Running Lights are required by law to be on whenever the vehicle is in use.... day or night.

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Guess not. I thought it went it in 2009 but that petition was rejected. My apologies for the incorrect info.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I recall the period where all cars had to have their headlights on all the time, even during the day. Can't recall the years but I'm guessing the early 80's. That was annoying to me at the time.

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I recall the period where all cars had to have their headlights on all the time, even during the day. Can't recall the years but I'm guessing the early 80's. That was annoying to me at the time.

That must have been a regional thing. Didn't happen here.
Maybe the Mount St Helens eruption?

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
DRL's are always on. They're brighter when the headlight are off, and dimmer when the headlines are on, but always there.

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
DRL's are always on. They're brighter when the headlight are off, and dimmer when the headlines are on, but always there.
On some cars, they go off when the parking brake is applied.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners