• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

DRL/parking light intensity

okcguy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I've had my '16 for a few months now. I like the DRL strips by themselves but hate the low beams coming on when going thru overpasses or pulling into the garage since they'll just be switched off within seconds (shortens bulb life). So I've just been running the parking lights as often as possible. However I was disappointed the LEDS strips are pretty dim.

Today I noticed they're much brighter when set to AUTO (low beams off, sun out). Has anyone figured out a way to keep the same intensity from the AUTO setting to the parking mode? I hate having to switch the lights to parking or to off anytime the low beams are about to fire up for brief periods.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Today I noticed they're much brighter when set to AUTO (low beams off, sun out). Has anyone figured out a way to keep the same intensity from the AUTO setting to the parking mode? .
How much do you figure the life is shortened? Not something I'd be concerned about. I'd want to see real numbers before changing wiring.

okcguy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
How much do you figure the life is shortened? Not something I'd be concerned about. I'd want to see real numbers before changing wiring.
I'm not sure of specific data showing controller life cycles or halogen gas breakdown. However for someone who parks in a garage, this adds 2 additional cycles (start up, return home). At say, 5x week for 45 wks/yr, this would add a significant count to all the components over time simply leaving/parking in the garage, not counting any other situations where the low beams would be tripped briefly along the way.

The DRLs should have 2 current modes. I just wonder which module would be controlling that output.

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I'm not sure of specific data showing controller life cycles or halogen gas breakdown. However for someone who parks in a garage, this adds 2 additional cycles (start up, return home). At say, 5x week for 45 wks/yr, this would add a significant count to all the components over time simply leaving/parking in the garage, not counting any other situations where the low beams would be tripped briefly along the way.

The DRLs should have 2 current modes. I just wonder which module would be controlling that output.
Over 5 years it can easily be 12,000 cycles, but, is that a bid deal? If the MTBF for the component is 50k or 100k cycles, it amounts to no concern.

I've heard of people not using turn signals until the last minute so they don't wear out the blinker. How often have you replaced one? I did on my '53 Mercury back about 1966.

Good luck, if it works for you, do it.

okcguy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Over 5 years it can easily be 12,000 cycles, but, is that a bid deal? If the MTBF for the component is 50k or 100k cycles, it amounts to no concern.

I've heard of people not using turn signals until the last minute so they don't wear out the blinker. How often have you replaced one? I did on my '53 Mercury back about 1966.

Good luck, if it works for you, do it.
I apologize if this topic has gone more towards a negligible wear on components. This is more of a desire to run the brighter parking lights (DRLs) solely in overcast or darker conditions without tripping the HIDs.

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I apologize if this topic has gone more towards a negligible wear on components. This is more of a desire to run the brighter parking lights (DRLs) solely in overcast or darker conditions without tripping the HIDs.
OK, but will tail light still come on? Sounds like you want an interim setting before headlights are really needed.

parisgrey

Registered Member
I park in a garage at work, a garage at home, and I drive tree canopy-covered streets on my way to and from work...my lights are constantly cycling on and off during my drive. I had to replace one of my xenons after 2 years of ownership, so your fear isn't completely unfounded. bumper removal is required unless you are willing to brave loosening a philips screw inside the housing to get the old bulb out.

My old BMW, left the auto lights off since the DRLs would kick in regardless. Never had to swap a Xenon bulb in 8 years and 100k miles. Had the same Osram brand bulbs that are in the Genny.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type

surprisinguy

Registered Member
NC
Genesis Model Type
My headlights come on early sometimes (my perception) when it's a little cloudy sometimes or I go under a large overpass - when I'm in Auto (2015). If I dont want this to happen I just turn DRL to OFF and turn my fog lights on if I'm wanting some light up front.