Drove an Audi A7

G80guy

Been here awhile...
Northeast
Thread starter #1
Audi is giving me a $75 gift card to test drive an Audi. So I did so last night they gave me an A7 3.0 supercharge. Sticker was around $73K.
Honestly didn't like it at all, it felt slower than my G80 3.3T, it hesitated like a turbo when I gave it gas, the interior felt cheaper and it didn't have quite all the amenities my G80 has. It really makes me appreciate all the G80 gives you for thousands of less $$.

I looked at several Audi models that were in the showroom and sorry none of them made me say wow as the G80 did when I sat in it.

omegafiler

Getting familiar with the group...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I actually test drove a loaded (prestige) A4 and A6 while car shopping a few months ago. It's pretty clear where Hyundai got some interior design... ideas. Hah.

And yeah, I wasn't all that impressed. I mean, it's all well put together, good material, quality, etc. Although from what I've seen of the next gen Audi's, they're really stepping it up. I'm sure Genesis will follow suite.

In my opinion, from recent drives, Mercedes-Benz is the one to watch. They've set the bar for interior design, driving dynamics, technology, etc. They are very nice.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Audi is giving me a $75 gift card to test drive an Audi. So I did so last night they gave me an A7 3.0 supercharge. Sticker was around $73K.
Honestly didn't like it at all, at several Audi models that were in the showroom and sorry none of them made me say wow as the G80 did when I sat in it.
A guy at work has one. He really likes my G80 amd often comments about it. I think he is sorry he bought the Audi when he could have had a Genesis.

ifonline

Been here awhile...
Braselton, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The upcoming A6 looks good to me, but I’m not at all interested in the touchscreen surfaces everywhere. Too much fuss just to change settings while driving down the road. I’ll take physical buttons and knobs over touchscreens all day long.

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Honestly didn't like it at all, it felt slower than my G80 3.3T, it hesitated like a turbo when I gave it gas, the interior felt cheaper and it didn't have quite all the amenities my G80 has. It really makes me appreciate all the G80 gives you for thousands of less $$.

I looked at several Audi models that were in the showroom and sorry none of them made me say wow as the G80 did when I sat in it.
They used to be a real head turner. Audi has under powered the A7 and over priced it also. IMHO. I here you also, I came from a Lexus RCF, Mercedes and an Audi. Frankly, I'm sticking with the Genesis G80.

ACN

Hasn't posted much yet...
AZ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The best quote I found is 59k out the door for sport awd in Maryland if anyone interested. Pretty disappointed with the numbers.
I agree, but I still think Mercedes interiors are nicer
The new cls 550 looks great. Too bad both cost close to 100k...double the price of the g80

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
The new cls 550 looks great. Too bad both cost close to 100k...double the price of the g80
Oh no question; I completely agree with you. I was just specifically referring to the Audi vs the Mercedes interior comparison. It's all highly, HIGHLY subjective, but for reference,
Here's the 2019 Audi s7 interior:

..and here's the Mercedes S550 interior (I know you mention the CLS-550, but I don't think that looks nearly as nice as the S-class interior):

While I personally am not a big fan of the porthole vents, subjectively speaking of course, in all other respects, I much prefer the Mercedes interior. Yes I know there are tons and tons of people who prefer the cold-steel graphite look for interiors, but I think my DNA is more Elven than Dwarven, as I prefer warm, earthen colors for my interiors :).

Having said all that, watch this space- I expect that the 2020 G80 is going to be an appreciable upgrade from the DH sedan in every conceivable way. For example, I think you'll see a further evolution of the K9 interior with huge (hopefully not "pop-up") LCD like you see here:

..which I wouldn't call horrible, except of course the center-console display looks tacked-on. Hopefully in Genesis-form, they will keep the jog-dial (unlike Audi and Mercedes who seem to have gotten rid of it? Touchscreens suck while you're driving) and abandon the "pop-up" look for the display.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.