• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Drove home my G70! 2.0 elite RWD Yayyyyyy!! :D

rish0708

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
After several test drives and negotiations, I finally got my gorgeous Mallorca blue Genesis G70 2.0 Automatic RWD elite last week !! Having an absolute blast of a time driving it. This is also my first owned car ever :D. My observations so far-

Pros
1. Looks- I know looks are subjective, but I simply love the lines and the angry, masculine front end look of G70. Low slung and sleek is a bonus too. My fav view is the front three quarter view. Already have gotten 3 compliments with people asking what car is that!
2. Comparison - People think its a bentley lol
3. Performance- Having driven mostly rental vehicles before, the base 2.0 engine has plenty performance for me as a daily driver and occasionally on some back roads around town. Mostly driving in smart/sport mode until now. Love leaving other cars in my rearview mirror when light changes from red to green. Though I feel that slightly more torque would be amazing ( kinda like 280-300 lb-ft range like 3 series/ Giulia).
4. Comfort as a daily driver- Auto hold is a god send! My legs get ample rest :D . 15 speaker lexicon sound system sounds sublime, specially in stage mode. Lane assist is quite useful, but what amazed me was the attention to detail in this car. Things like reduced music volume during reversing, and mirrors rotating downwards with it also are very well thought off.
5. Handling - Quite responsive steering, and I absolutely love the G70's control, especially in sport mode during 60mph+ speeds! Very planted, very stable and overall I now prefer RWD dynamics much more than FWD dynamics. Talk of being spoiled lol

Cons
1. Fuel economy- The heart gets what the heart wants, and fuel economy isn't part of that list so frankly don't care. Getting close to 20 mpg in sporty city driving.
2. Comparison - People think its a Chrysler :(
3. Interior lighting- I wish there a tiny bit of some ambient interior lighting. Adding a blue LED usb stick as a quick fix !
4. Torque- Slightly more torque would be very welcome ( around 280-300 lb-ft range)

I test drove the following cars before getting my G70-

1. Kia Stinger GT2 - A bit heavy and less sporty for my liking. That 3.3 V6 beast scared me a little bit and hence I decided to go for 2.0 G70 vs 3.3. Pretty similar interiors and infotainment.
2. Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti sport - Sexiest looking sedan in the market, period. Amazing handling, those gorgeous paddle shifters, the sexy 5 spoke wheels and that engine noise, even on the base 4 cylinder, OMG! I was pretty much set on the giulia. She stole my heart, and then the dealership and reliability horror stories broke my heart :(. Though it would not have been that comfortable and luxurious from inside as the G70!
3. Mazda MX-5 Miata sport- Aah the Miata! Loved the top down feeling and the pure driving experience, but I would probably get it as my second car, and not my only car. Hopefully soon!
4. BMW 2 series coupe- A bit underwhelming. Drives and handles nicely! Less features and luxurious than G70 and doesn't have the sleek low slung design as the G70. Later realized BMW doesn't have Android auto so chucked 330i and 430i Gran coupe as well. Pricier options as well as compared to G70.
5. Mercedes C300- Personally I don't like the curvy design of Mercedes cars( side view, looks like someone bent the cars from both front and rear), but hoped that the interior and performance might sway my decision. Interiors and more luxurious than G70, though the current C300 doesn't have the updated interior featuring the big screen like the A220 has. Drive wise was too much on the comfy side than sporty. My G70 seems more alert, slightly stiffer and tighter to handle than the C300

Yesterday, I also tried launch control and made the rear end slip and slide a little. Needless to say, I don't think I can go back to driving FWD based cars anymore lol. Anyways, looking forward to more fun and will keep updating about the maintenance experience near my area ( SF bay area). Happy holidays!

Attachments

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Nice color and congrats. Love my G70 sport, same color. My second car is a MX-5 rag top and it’s a fun weekend car. We have similar tastes. Enjoy your ride.

LandOfConfusion

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Excellent! I would have loved a chance at the MB color but, alas, none within 200 miles of me.
Enjoy!

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
MB was my first choice. My wife and daughter both said I’m too old for it...sigh.

So I did SI...no regrets. Show stopper.

As said before...Genesis colors are brilliant. IMO...they need a sick yellow and some crazy green 😜

3mattya

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Can I ask your thought process on choosing the Elite vs the higher trim packages? Currently shopping and in that thought process of choosing between them :censored: @rish0708

rish0708

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Excellent! I would have loved a chance at the MB color but, alas, none within 200 miles of me.
Enjoy!
Yup, the exact trim and color can be hard to find. Mine was the last 2019 2.0 mallorca blue elite trim left in the 200 mile vicinity of san francisco.

rish0708

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
MB was my first choice. My wife and daughter both said I’m too old for it...sigh.

So I did SI...no regrets. Show stopper.

As said before...Genesis colors are brilliant. IMO...they need a sick yellow and some crazy green 😜
Personally not a fan of yellow, but yeah A darkish greenish would be sick! Alfa romeo giulia 2020 came out with a green color and it looks quite stunning :)

rish0708

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Can I ask your thought process on choosing the Elite vs the higher trim packages? Currently shopping and in that thought process of choosing between them :censored: @rish0708
Sure. IMO, the elite trim adds the most used features as follows -
1. full LED headlights - Was one of my requirements
2. Navigation - sometimes useful when I get lazy to open google maps lol
3. parking assist ( SUPER USEFUL) - a blessing in tight parking spaces
4. sunroof - Was one of my requirements
5. power tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel - not a necessity, would be useful during early days when you fine tune your perfect driving position
6. power-folding outside mirrors- Not required, but a nice luxurious touch which now I love!
7. 15 speaker lexicon setup - Was one of my requirements

for close to ~$5k for the above features, I felt it was a needed and worthwhile upgrade, hence elite at a minimum was what I went for. In further trims(prestige, dynamic and sport), I didn't see too many MUST have features that I felt I should pay for like-
1. Heads up display - Nice to have, but not a necessity
2. wireless device charging - my Pixel 2 does not have that so dont need
3. surround-view parking camera system - dont need it. parking sensors are more than sufficient
4. rain-sensing windshield wipers- My eyes are still good and can see when the rain starts, so not needed
5. adaptive headlights ( low beam assists)- Only useful in dark, and when tunring on twisty curvy roads and not on big freeways. Rarely a combo I encounter
6. heated rear seats, a heated steering wheel - I am not sitting at the back, and I live in Cali so again, not needed
7. limited-slip differential, - Can easily live without it since curvy back roads are not part of my daily commute
8. Performance brakes- These would be useful obviously, but to get these I need to get to sport trim, meaning paying $5k on top of elite trim. No thanks.

So essentially it boils down to what features you ABSOLUTELY need and then from those which you don't, do they actually add some value to your drive? How often will you use them? I would suggest go through all the G70 features above and see which you absolutely want and ones which you can live without, and you will have your answer. Good luck :)

elsid88

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Have the MB as well... very stunning color and car no doubt. Not wife because she loves the car, but siblings said I was too old for a car and color like that...I think they are jealous.

The one thing that you may miss out on... this thing is a treat to drive in the snow. The AWD traction sitting at a red light next to a Jeep and then leaving the Jeep wondering what just happened once the light turned green.

Last edited:

rish0708

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
NC. Copper red. Although it’s 13+ years old, no issues at all, still looks good and drives fine. 6sp is fun, just not everyday.
Sweet! Any Miata is always fun unless you need to go grocery shopping or on a very long drive :cool:

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums