• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Durability/reliability of G80?

Peterparker444

Registered Member
I tend to buy cars new and own them for 10-15 years. I currently have a 2005 Lexus ES 330 with 175k miles on it and am looking to upgrade. I want a new car with AWD, carplay with easy to use infotainment system, good safety rating and reliability. The 2019 3.3T Sport G80 seems to fit the bill pretty nicely and it drives great.

My only concern is the overall reliability/durability of the Genesis cars. Was hoping to find out how long people have had their current or prior Genesis/Hyundai Genesis cars (years, miles) and whether they ended up getting a new car because of issues or simply because they wanted a new car. Also, would they buy a Genesis again?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I tend to buy cars new and own them for 10-15 years. I currently have a 2005 Lexus ES 330 with 175k miles on it and am looking to upgrade. I want a new car with AWD, carplay with easy to use infotainment system, good safety rating and reliability. The 2019 3.3T Sport G80 seems to fit the bill pretty nicely and it drives great.

My only concern is the overall reliability/durability of the Genesis cars. Was hoping to find out how long people have had their current or prior Genesis/Hyundai Genesis cars (years, miles) and whether they ended up getting a new car because of issues or simply because they wanted a new car. Also, would they buy a Genesis again?
You may want to do a search as there has been a thread or two about longevity.

I've not kept mine beyond 45k, but I did buy another because I liked to so much. I just wanted a different color and some new features.

RCH04

Registered Member
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

You might check Consumer Report buyers guide to see if any reliability issues show up from their Owner Surveys.

vmi9d3

Registered Member
Odenton, MD
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I am on my first Genesis but also own 2 Sonatas, 2011, 2015. The 2011 has 110,000 miles on it, bought it new in 2010 and passed down to my college son. I bought the 2015 last Nov, it as 55K miles and bought it for my other college son. I feel reliability is great for Hyundai and I feel it will transfer over to the Genesis easily.

Windchaser

Getting familiar with the group...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I have a 2012 Sonata 2.0T which has about 135K on it and it is going strong. My 2018 G80 Sport has 29K on it and it is going strong. I did have an isue with the Sonata and the engine was replaced under warranty at about 40K miles. Mine was one of the early cars to experience the engine issue which ultimately resulted in a recall. Hyundai did a great job taking care of me. I would easily purchase another Hyundai or Genesis again without hesitation.

I too keep my car for a long time. I generally get a new car when I hit about 200K. The Genesis was picked up a little early since I was in need of another car. The Sonata was given to my new wife (second marriage). My son just bought my old Honda from me. It is a 2004 with 245K on it. It was the first car he drove and he loves it. Still going strong.

Acpantera

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
My daughter had a 2009 Hyundai Accent from new till she traded it for a new 2014 Chevy Spark. The Accent had just over 70,000 miles and never was in the shop for anything except oil changes and tires. Not one warranty repair on that Little Accent.
The Chevy on the other hand(also made in s.korea) has been a regular visitor for warranty work, including a tranny replacement. At 55,000 miles now and shopping the fall specials for a good deal on a Kona.
My G80 sport has been pretty Dang good too, had it for a year and they replaced the all the wheels at delivery because of the clear coat pealing, and they replaced all the window trim pieces because the finish was messed up. Other than that it has been flawless, runs like a banshee with the RaceChip on it( Just embarrassed a guy in a C6 vette, made me proud).

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
If long-term reliability is of prime concern, recommend going w/ the NA 3.8 V6 or the Tau 5.0 V8 over the Sport.

While reliability of turbo engines have improved over the years, there is still more parts (esp. the plastic bits) which can be problematic//degrade over time.

That's a major reason why Toyota went w/ a lower boost for its 2.0T in the IS and GS - to ensure better reliability (but being underpowered compared to the competition has placed a toll on sales).

Mechanically, the G80 is pretty tried and true; if there are any issues, likely to be the tech stuff and in particular, the 3rd party head unit (which is basically the same company that supplies Lexus, Mark Levinson being a unit of Harman Industries).

Last edited:

glennk

Been here awhile...
Dallas, TX
My daughter had a 2009 Hyundai Accent from new till she traded it for a new 2014 Chevy Spark. The Accent had just over 70,000 miles and never was in the shop for anything except oil changes and tires. Not one warranty repair on that Little Accent.
The Chevy on the other hand(also made in s.korea) has been a regular visitor for warranty work, including a tranny replacement. At 55,000 miles now and shopping the fall specials for a good deal on a Kona.
My G80 sport has been pretty Dang good too, had it for a year and they replaced the all the wheels at delivery because of the clear coat pealing, and they replaced all the window trim pieces because the finish was messed up. Other than that it has been flawless, runs like a banshee with the RaceChip on it( Just embarrassed a guy in a C6 vette, made me proud).
Personal opinion, GM products are trash. Number one problem are transmissions. The only American brand I'd buy is a Ford product.

glennk

Been here awhile...
Dallas, TX
If long-term reliability is of prime concern, recommend going w/ the NA 3.8 V6 or the Tau 5.0 V8 over the Sport.

While reliability of turbo engines have improved over the years, there is still more parts (esp. the plastic bits) which can be problematic//degrade over time.

That's a major reason why Toyota went w/ a lower boost for its 2.0T in the IS and GS - to ensure better reliability (but being underpowered compared to the competition has placed a toll on sales).

Mechanically, the G80 is pretty tried and true; if there are any issues, likely to be the tech stuff and in particular, the 3rd party head unit (which is basically the same company that supplies Lexus, Mark Levinson being a unit of Harman Industries).
If you don't need the extra power, stick to the 3.8. It is far more reliable and much easier to work on.

daviderle

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
We are on our forth genesis in 11 years, mechanically they have been very reliable...
I would agree with others, both 3.8 & 5.0 have a proven record, however, with the 3.3T there is still the ten year/100k miles warranty to cover any unforeseen issues, which based on the last couple years, there are little to no reported mechanical issues with this drive train.

Acpantera

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Personal opinion, GM products are trash. Number one problem are transmissions. The only American brand I'd buy is a Ford product.
I've had about a dozen GM vehicles since I was 16, all of them pretty much trouble free except for my XTS and then my daughters Spark. I won't write of the whole brand yet, but the trend in my experience is less than favorable. I am real glad that I took a leap to Genesis, blew my mind how well put together it was and how well it drives. I was shopping for a CT6 but the Genny is the better car IMO. As far as Ford.....Never again. bought a Taurus SHO new for the wife in 1990, other than the Yamaha engine and the Mazda tranny the rest was rubbish. Had a laundry list of major issues, including the subframe breaking away from the body. Many of my family/friends has tried ford as well and they have had more than their share of major problems. We have had seen lots of Hyundai's with above average track records and that influenced my decision on the Genny.

glennk

Been here awhile...
Dallas, TX
Ford has gotten better, but their seats aren't very comfortable (owned a '13 Taurus SHO...had no problems at all). As for GM, I got the shaft twice (Chevrolet Corsica and Oldsmobile Intrigue). Both had electrical and engine problems.

rickfen

Registered Member
We owned a 2010 Genesis (first generation) and traded it for a 2015 Genesis (second generation). When traded the first one in, it had 65000 miles on it - nothing ever went wrong with it:))
The second one has 45000 miles on it and again, nothing has ever gone wrong with it. We're now on another 10000 km trip with the second one - just waiting for the 3rd generation to be released, then we're trading the 2015 for the new one. These cars are what a luxury car should be - truly trouble free!!

Bourbonncigars

It burns when I pee...
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Being an active member on a GM forum, I wouldn't go so far as saying "trash", but they do have issues. However, it's no more or less than any other auto forum I'm a member of or frequent often.

That said, the longest lasting vehicles I've owned were trouble free Tahoe's. One was a '96 that I got rid of at 260K miles, the other was an '02 with over 240K miles and it only needed a fuel pump. Quality does seem to have gone downhill with newer models where more tech is involved. But an outsider looking at this forum may say the same thing.

Ironically, the Jeep wrangler forum is mostly about suspension upgrades and what everyone is spending money on and having fun doing. Relatively few threads about problems. I say ironic because Jeep is not known for quality. I'm not speaking about the new JL series, though. I got rid of my JK before they hit the market.

Anyway, on topic....my wife had a '15 5.0 that went to 92K. Her current '15 5.0 (someone totaled the other one) has about 50K. My '15 5.0 has 28K. Both of us have A/C issues and her's has the infamous sunroof not closing problem.

Oh, and the OP asked if we'd buy again. My wife has had an '09 Genesis and two '15 5.0's. I got one after she's had three.