Eco vs Snow Mode......

Beardie

Registered Member
I believe this question was discussed a while ago, but now that most areas are seeing slippery weather, I was wondering if any definitive conclusion was reached as to whether the snow mode really helps driving in slippery conditions, or will Eco mode be just as helpful. I have a 2015 AWD Tech, and weather reports for the east coast are starting to sound very wintery!! Any recent experiences would be appreciated.

2015MontecitoBlue

Hasn't posted much yet...
Hi, I am writing from Ontario, Canada, I have a '15 Genesis with AWD and drive with snow tires over the winter months,

From my experience, the SNOW mode definitely improves traction when roads are covered in snow.

Midnightsun

Been here awhile...
Montreal, Canada
As far as I know, eco mode only reduced throttle input a bit and makes the AWD about 90% RWD which is not all that great in snow. I suggest you stick with snow mode. That being said I also use dedicated winter tires and leave it in normal as I find snow mode removes so much throttle input it is almost dangerous for normal driving. Could be useful for alleviating the pucker factor for a Floridian in his first snow experience. :rolleyes:

powerslide

Registered Member
I'm also in a 3.8 AWD with snow tires. I also find SNOW mode to be useless also because of the restricted power. Depending on road conditions, I will occasionally turn off the stability control for low speed driving so I can use the throttle to control yaw (intentionally induce oversteer to prevent an understeer skid off the road). However, I always turn it back on for highway driving. The stability control can recover from a high speed skid better than any two pedals.

penga25

Registered Member
a few weeks ago it was pretty crappy in NJ one morning, a few inches of slushy, icy snow. i have a RWD 3.8 and snow mode was a great help on the unplowed streets and slow moving roads, i turned it to normal when on the highway (even though speeds were only about 35mph for the conditions) this is on stock tires. whats a good way to add snow tires keeping a leased vehicle in mind? just buy tires and have them mounted or buy a whole wheel/tire set?

smirn0ff

Registered Member
Bulgaria
we have lots of snow these days here and I made some tests on the drive modes.
My car is equipped with snow tires.

Normal mode/Eco/Sport - in this modes the car is mostly RWD, when I push the throttle, my back start to shake. the power is not alocated immediately on the front wheels it takes some seconds.
Snow mode - some of the power is allocated to the front wheels and when I push the throttle the car is handling pretty good. no shaking on the back. the power transfer between front and rear is very fast.

letapragas

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
2015 3.8L AWD Ultimate (Bigger stock tires) and snow mode definitely helps with not just snow but also heavy rain..

ewang

Hasn't posted much yet...
WI
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Stupid question... but how do I find this snow mode? I only have Normal Eco and Sport?

I guess I haven't spun through the different drive modes in winter. Does it appear with cold weather?

hguh9591

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Does anyone know if they have tested the AWD where only one wheel has traction? I saw a video where a Hyundai SUV got hung up on a diagonal rise where the right front wheel was in the air and spinning freely. I'd like to know if the differential or power transfer system is strong enough to deliver power to just one wheel.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.