• Just a quick message to let you know that we now have a JB4 Support Forum so questions can be asked once, in one place, rather than the same question being asked and answered in the G70, G80 and G90 forums. You can find the forum on the main page in the forum list - or click here.

Edmonton Owners - Winter Tires

Van_Nik_75

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Vancouver, BC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Also I notice they said the courtesy car they provide will be provided by Budget car rental. Interesting...I thought it would be a similar genesis?
I just checked the Genesis Canada web site and the exact wording about loaner cars is:

"Courtesy Vehicle Service
While your Genesis is away for maintenance at the local service centre, a courtesy vehicle will be left at your disposal."

So unless there is other wording to the contrary there doesn't appear to be a statement that the loaner car will be a Genesis.

canucklehead604

Hasn't posted much yet...
West Coast Canada
So I got this booked in and Genesis is recommending I get a tire alignment done when they put on the winter tires, for $200. I've never heard of getting this done when swapping tires. Thoughts?

Also I notice they said the courtesy car they provide will be provided by Budget car rental. Interesting...I thought it would be a similar genesis?
no, you shouldn't need to do an alignment for a simple tire changeover. perhaps after a few years it would be an idea, especially if you notice uneven tire wear, but not on a brand new vehicle.

to be honest, if genesis says you need one this should be covered under warranty with such low mileage. it may have been out from the factory. my wife's Highlander came out of alignment from the factory so the dealer made it right under warranty.

most dealers nowadays have a free express alignment checker as part of the regular maintenance. they attach these sensors and drive the car forward a bit which gives a pretty good reading of where the alignment is at. not as good as a full check on the lift, but good enough.

and a $200 alignment is very expensive - they usually run ~$100 or so.

as for the courtesy car, everything i've been told by the GXM and read is that you get a genesis courtesy car.

WhoIsHomer

Edmonton
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I haven't brought the car in yet, so they are just saying it will need the alignment without even seeing the car. I will turn it down. Yeah I thought it would be a genesis, maybe it is a genesis through budget...time will tell I guess.

PD705

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Genesis courtesy cars are provided for the scheduled maintenance and/or warranty work, but not necessarily for customer-pay jobs (though this is at the discretion of the distributor who owns the courtesy vehicles).

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
My car is booked in tomorrow for its first service so I will let you know what I end up with. I don't think it was ever discussed but I did personally assume it was a Genesis and not a rental. Not that it really matters. Likely they only have so many loaner cars in their fleet and if they are all out they have to rent.

WhoIsHomer

Edmonton
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Could be. Yeah let us know what the courtesy car
Genesis courtesy cars are provided for the scheduled maintenance and/or warranty work, but not necessarily for customer-pay jobs (though this is at the discretion of the distributor who owns the courtesy vehicles).
I should have clarified. I booked the winter tires to be installed as well as getting my first service done. Also the prices on genesis website for parts are wrong. My winter tires/rims cost 200 more then the website says. At least that's what Hyundai is quoting me. Still waiting to get an explanation.

Last edited:

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Could be. Yeah let us know what the courtesy car

I should have clarified. I booked the winter tires to be installed as well as getting my first service done. Also the prices on genesis website for parts are wrong. My winter tires/rims cost 200 more then the website says. At least that's what Hyundai is quoting me. Still waiting to get an explanation.
I'd go in with a printed copy of the price and demand that price, or no sale. Could it be an individual dealer marking it up? Not sure that that works in Canada but dealers here do mark things up. Pays to shop around.

Friday

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
You shouldn't have any problems getting the price adjusted. The Hyundai Parts department doesn't know exactly what parts are required. The Parts Department needs to contact Genesis and it will get clarified and your price will be right.

TO Genesis

Toronto
There's some small print at the bottom of the wheel and tire page about regional price variances.

Accessory Pricing. Accessory pricing and availability is subject to change without notice. For calculation purposes only, our accessory pricing includes the estimated cost of installation (if necessary). However, the cost of doing business varies in different parts of the country, therefore the installed price may not be the exact cost of installation depending on the province you reside. Please contact your local Genesis Distributor to confirm the pricing in your area.

WhoIsHomer

Edmonton
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I emailed sales to ask about this.
He confirmed that the loaner car will be a genesis. He also confirmed that they will match the pricing on genesis website so it sounds like Hyundai should honor the pricing.
He also gave me a new number to call/txt to for faster service so that should resolve the slow email responses going forward.
I'm glad they were able to take care of this

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Well I think there is a big problem with the Genesis/Hyundai split yet when it comes to parts/service. I asked for pricing for the wheels (as it was before someone here mentioned the Genesis website is smart enough to price the correct size for you) and I was quoted today $4,780 before tax for wheels and tires!!!!! But they said I got 10% off with my go card (no f-ing clue what that is). And that was for the 18's with Yoko Ice guards which is a cheaper tire than the options on the Genesis site. Oh, and that quote took two days.

I replied back asking how they could be over twice the online price and wtf a go card was. The response was there was a glitch in the computer and the parts manager will get back to me. And they told me the go card saves me 10% on parts and service. Clearly at this point I am just dealing with a Hyundai dealership and this is the entire reason I bought the Genesis was to avoid "stealerships". I can tell you today was the first time in 4 months that I missed owning a BMW.

BTW, my loaner car was a G70 Elite 2.0T.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I replied back asking how they could be over twice the online price and wtf a go card was. The response was there was a glitch in the computer and the parts manager will get back to me. And they told me the go card saves me 10% on parts and service. Clearly at this point I am just dealing with a Hyundai dealership and this is the entire reason I bought the Genesis was to avoid "stealerships". I can tell you today was the first time in 4 months that I missed owning a BMW.
Its a new setup. Sh$$ happens in an imperfect world. Not worth agita

WhoIsHomer

Edmonton
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Well I think there is a big problem with the Genesis/Hyundai split yet when it comes to parts/service. I asked for pricing for the wheels (as it was before someone here mentioned the Genesis website is smart enough to price the correct size for you) and I was quoted today $4,780 before tax for wheels and tires!!!!! But they said I got 10% off with my go card (no f-ing clue what that is). And that was for the 18's with Yoko Ice guards which is a cheaper tire than the options on the Genesis site. Oh, and that quote took two days.

BTW, my loaner car was a G70 Elite 2.0T.
It does make me wonder. I thought Genesis was supposed to be direct, Genesis of Edmonton is part of Go Auto. How can it be direct when its run by a dealership?

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yeah, I finally looked more into this go auto card. Supposedly you get it when you buy from a dealership in the go auto group. I don't have a card though, and from what I can tell the go auto group is one of the worst. Focus is totally on sales and long term financing. Looks like they prey on people underwater on their loans that will make stupid decisions to upgrade. They constantly run ads that say "text 1234 to XXXX to win your new car". They had one of those money wind tunnel things at a car show for you to win money off your new car. They seem to be an extra level of slimy.

I am hoping this is still a growing pain and Genesis will work on distancing themselves from this particular Hyundai dealer. I will eventually write a review on my first service experience, but there are still loose ends to deal with and I don't want to post yet.

canucklehead604

West Coast Canada
^ yes, please do. the service and warranty coverage aspect of Genesis is something i am curious about. when i had my infiniti, all warranty work was done at various exclusive infiniti dealers, and their warranty coverage was excellent - with very little resistance to providing coverage. i am also a bit disappointed with how Genesis has separated itself as a stand-alone brand in my local market. my paperwork and follow up letterhead has all been from the Hyundai dealer, which in itself is not a big deal i suppose, but on most documents i'd think i bought a Hyundai and not a Genesis. if Genesis has been around for a few years in Canada i would have expected a more concerted push for demarcation between the brands.

part of me wonders if the 'we come to you' model by Genesis is a way to mask the fact that the majority of after-sales support is handled by Hyundai reps. i know the GXM stays involved which is great, and provides the perception of Genesis being a separate entity, but my initial observation is that there is a ways to go before the brand separation is achieved. hopefully by the time the SUVs are launched this will be more established.

TO Genesis

Toronto
^ That's absolutely how its going to work. Every Genesis "Dealer" in my area is associated with a Hyundai dealership. The closest one to me has acquired a site and has plans to build a combo Hyundai / Genesis store with separate showrooms and service check-in for each brand. Once your car rolls out of the check-in it will likely go to the shared service department. If you choose the come to you model, it'll be the Hyundai lot boy (or girl) that drops off your loaner and takes your car back for service.

Van_Nik_75

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Vancouver, BC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ yes, please do. the service and warranty coverage aspect of Genesis is something i am curious about. when i had my infiniti, all warranty work was done at various exclusive infiniti dealers, and their warranty coverage was excellent - with very little resistance to providing coverage. i am also a bit disappointed with how Genesis has separated itself as a stand-alone brand in my local market. my paperwork and follow up letterhead has all been from the Hyundai dealer, which in itself is not a big deal i suppose, but on most documents i'd think i bought a Hyundai and not a Genesis.
I agree with this 100%. I chose to pickup my G70 instead of having it delivered to my house and it was all done at the Hyundai dealership in Richmond and as you’ve said all the legal paperwork saying Hyundai.

I guess some of this is unavoidable as we're buying into a car brand that is pretty new and not completely established yet. I expect in time that there will be dedicated Genesis centres but likely years in the future.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.