Electrified GV70 EV to debut Nov. 19

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

mythdoc

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I read that the range will only be 250 miles on full charge. If true, that pretty much ensures the model will have very low sales in North America.

Backslack

Registered Member
I read that the range will only be 250 miles on full charge. If true, that pretty much ensures the model will have very low sales in North America.
We have no specs yet. 250 miles of range is for the GV60. A Porsche Taycan barely breaks 200, so I doubt 250 will be a problem.

G3NES1S

Registered Member
genesis should rather adopt & go for a hybrid strategy like lexus. best of both worlds, quick pickup & low end torque with the mild electric motor, plenty of power at the top with the beefy ICE engine & you dont have to charge it. plus you get better gas mileage compared to the crappy sub-20 mpg the 3.5T gets (the way I'd drive it lol)

Backslack

Registered Member
genesis should rather adopt & go for a hybrid strategy like lexus. best of both worlds, quick pickup & low end torque with the mild electric motor, plenty of power at the top with the beefy ICE engine & you dont have to charge it. plus you get better gas mileage compared to the crappy sub-20 mpg the 3.5T gets (the way I'd drive it lol)
A crappy CVT like a Lexus hybrid is the last thing anyone would want in a vehicle like the GV70.

Backslack

Registered Member
yes, because the alternative GV70 EV will have such a nice 10 speed DCT right 🙄

in any case, that wasnt the point.
An EV needs no transmission because it responds instantaneously to throttle inputs. It's even better than a DCT.

Hybrids are total crap to drive unless they're PHEV's and even then what makes them decent to drive is their EV mode.

mythdoc

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
We have no specs yet. 250 miles of range is for the GV60. A Porsche Taycan barely breaks 200, so I doubt 250 will be a problem.
Wow, I know this forum is prone to over enthusiastic takes, but comparing the GV70 to a Porsche Taycan may top them all. Two completely different markets and buyers, so maybe you should clarify your point. I repeat that sales of the GV70 EV are likely to be very low in NA.

Also, I got the 250 figure from an article about the GV70 (not the GV60) in C|net magazine.

PS: new Taycan announcement touts range of 510 km (311 miles)

Last edited:

Backslack

Registered Member
Wow, I know this forum is prone to over enthusiastic takes, but comparing the GV70 to a Porsche Taycan may top them all. Two completely different markets and buyers, so maybe you should clarify your point. I repeat that sales of the GV70 EV are likely to be very low in NA.

Also, I got the 250 figure from an article about the GV70 (not the GV60) in C|net magazine.

PS: new Taycan announcement touts range of 510 km (311 miles)
So you want like for like? lol, go look up the range figures for the Audi E-tron crossover.

Screenshot 2021-11-17 at 11-16-09 Audi E-tron crossover range - Google Search.png

Oh, how about something even more mainstream:

Screenshot 2021-11-17 at 11-19-26 EPA Confirms Volkswagen ID 4 AWDs Range.png

By the way the Taycan won't reach 300 miles anytime soon under the EPA.

Screenshot 2021-11-17 at 11-17-45 2022 Porsche Taycan Turbo.png

Cnet doesn't have any official information for the GV70 range, that's just their own estimate. And even if it was 250 miles, it'll be more than competitive against the German badges you fanboy over.

mythdoc

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
The Audi is a better comparison, no doubt. The VW is too downmarket in my opinion. The e-tron has been out three years and has sold under 20,000 total In the US. Meanwhile, the Q5 sold 165,000 units In the same 3 year time frame. Less than 1/8th as many.

Last time, then, because you seem to be missing the point: the sales of the GV70 (like the Audi) are likely to be a very low fraction compared to the gas version. Limited range is the main reason why.

Backslack

Registered Member
The Audi is a better comparison, no doubt. The VW is too downmarket in my opinion. The e-tron has been out three years and has sold under 20,000 total In the US. Meanwhile, the Q5 sold 165,000 units In the same 3 year time frame. Less than 1/8th as many.

Last time, then, because you seem to be missing the point: the sales of the GV70 (like the Audi) are likely to be a very low fraction compared to the gas version. Limited range is the main reason why.
Generally EV's sell less because of limited battery supply, not lack of demand. You see the same problem even on PHEV's like the RAV4 Prime, which have ridiculous demand but tiny supply, leading to crazy markups (even prior to COVID). The only manufacturer to avoid this problem is Tesla because they have their own battery factory.

I think Genesis will sell every GV70 they make, unsavory dealer markups included. The only question is how many they're capable of making now that Hyundai/Kia have so many other EV's in the pipeline and not a huge supply of batteries to fit them all.

blue92lx

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
I think it's also been said that the Genesis lineup will also have the 800v recharge capability which makes a huge difference, and really the only reason the Taycan is a viable travel solution with 200 miles.

I'm also super interested in two things, 1) will it end up higher than 250 miles estimated, 2) will it actually average over the EPA estimations?

I came from a preordered Mach E GT preorder (so much happier I found the GV70) that regularly gets over their EPA, vs Tesla who thinks they get these super high range numbers and continue to never meet their listed numbers.

A t this point I'm super happy I found out about Genesis and went this route, hoping in about 5 years when I trade in my GV70 that I can make a parallel move to an equally luxurious and equally performance oriented EV version.

shogun95

Registered Member
Greensboro, NC
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
I really don’t want to start any political discussion so let’s not go that direction, but I really would like someone to explain why anyone would be interested in an EV vehicle. The issues I see are range, cost, the environmental impact of manufacturing batteries and disposing of batteries, the fact that they’re not zero emission, we can’t generate enough electricity to charge everyone’s car if we all switch, in a major accident first responders can be in danger of electrocution, and in the case of a natural disaster where everyone is trying to leave an area such as like with a hurricane there is no way to charge that many vehicles all trying to charge at the same time. Example is a hurricane coming up Florida. All Miamians would be trying to charge around Daytona. I just don’t see why I would ever want one. Someone please enlighten me.

blue92lx

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
I really don’t want to start any political discussion so let’s not go that direction, but I really would like someone to explain why anyone would be interested in an EV vehicle. The issues I see are range, cost, the environmental impact of manufacturing batteries and disposing of batteries, the fact that they’re not zero emission, we can’t generate enough electricity to charge everyone’s car if we all switch, in a major accident first responders can be in danger of electrocution, and in the case of a natural disaster where everyone is trying to leave an area such as like with a hurricane there is no way to charge that many vehicles all trying to charge at the same time. Example is a hurricane coming up Florida. All Miamians would be trying to charge around Daytona. I just don’t see why I would ever want one. Someone please enlighten me.
Part of the issue is that the charging infrastructure of course isn't anywhere near what gas is, simply because EV's haven't been a viable solution until recently with Tesla pushing it forward. Car manufacturers and also companies like Electrify America are working together to start bringing in more infrastructure.

Having a realistic view is important here. Even hypothetically if every manufacturer in the world was only producing EV's by 2030, there are still going to be primarily gas vehicles being driven. People have this weird image that all of a sudden all gas vehicles are going to suddenly vanish from the Earth, that's not the case.

As far as why want one? I had a Mach E GT on preorder until I found the GV70. If you haven't driven an EV I'd recommend test driving one. Instant torque all the time starting at 0 mph, completely silent, the smoothest acceleration you'll ever feel, you can floor it over and over again and not feel like you're going to damage something in the drivetrain.

For me long distance isn't a huge deal, I doing trips maybe 3-4 times a year where I'd need to do quick charging. This is where the Ford was slower, but a lot of manufacturers can recharge to 80% in about 15-20 minutes which really isn't that bad. Ford was about 35-40 minutes. And of course that's from almost 0% charge to 80%, which isn't the case most of the time.

EV's are going to take a LOT of education for people. You don't fill it up, you use apps to plan your charging stops on long trips so you know for instance ok this one I should be stopping with about 20% left in the battery, I only need to charge to 60%, so that's maybe 10 minutes. It's not like gas where you just stop and fill it to 100%.

As far as first responders I'd assume they're already trained to look for the signs of an EV and pull the emergency shut down on the battery to disconnect it. I don't think you can really argue about fires, etc. Any huge accident is a potential danger for fire with gas or batteries. Even hybrids that have been around for a LONG time now have the same batteries EV's do, EV's just have more batteries than hybrids. So this isn't something new. There are also a LOT of safety precautions taken to protect batteries from major accidents, the same as a gas tank that could explode while the responders are onsite.

The main thing to consider is that this isn't a new thing. Not in the slightest. This isn't like suddenly we're just jamming batteries into a car and hoping for the best. There are, and have been for decades now, safety testing, safety regulations, and everything in between to keep the batteries safe from harm.

For disposal, they can refurbish a battery just like anything else. The battery trays are actually a bunch of smaller batteries essentially tied together. Just because your "battery dies" does not mean they throw out the entire battery tray. They'll take it out, test each individual cell and replace the bad cell. Disposal isn't as extreme as people make it out to be and you can bet there will be reusing and recycling batteries just like junk yards are full of cars right now being recycled and reused.

Full EV's for sure are a new thing for the masses, but in reality it's decades old. That's the main thing to keep in mind. And Hybrids which are basically EV's with smaller batteries have been around decades longer than EV's have.

mythdoc

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I just wish that the competing technologies were allowed to progress on their current paths without municipalities overdetermining the outcome. Synthetic gasoline is doable now, and emissions and efficiency technologies for ICE’s are continuing to make big strides. I’d rather pursue both paths (EV and new ICE tech) simultaneously with research dollars and incentives than ban one and heavily subsidize the other. The deficiencies in the power grid are going to be addressed but it seems inevitable that somewhere, at some time in the future, there will be an emergency event where the grid fails and a public crisis ensues.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners