• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Genesis owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Electronic trunk lock failure

Jbo

Been here awhile...
First problem, trunk will only open with key in actual trunk lock. Remote release on door, pressing smart key or attempting to use manual release under lip near license plate will not function. Trunk will open only with key in underside of lid near license plate. What did I screw up? 2012 R-Spec by the way.
Jbo

Jbo

Been here awhile...
Found answer on page 32 page 32 of Quick reference guide, never did find it in operating manual. But I guessI'm learning to be creative in reading the 6 pounds of manuals...that is against all laws of real MEN!!!

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
Yep, my wife and I had to read and study the manuals in depth as we did with our Mercedes. It just takes time to master the features of these great cars.

Jbo

Been here awhile...
Problem was a "valet" trunk security lock feature. You turn electronic features off on glove box, lock glove box and take key that comes out of key fob with you when leaving car with valet or perhaps in storing valuables in trunk in a parking facility. It allows trunk to be opened only with key inserted into " blind" keyhole in I deride if license plate area. The price for technology I guess!

Southern Boy

Registered Member
If you buy a Yugo you don't have to study the owners manual because there are no options to worry about.:D
I spent almost 2 weeks with the various manuals that came with the Genesis and still have to refer to them at times.:confused:

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

kev4

Registered Member
Problem was a "valet" trunk security lock feature. You turn electronic features off on glove box, lock glove box and take key that comes out of key fob with you when leaving car with valet or perhaps in storing valuables in trunk in a parking facility. It allows trunk to be opened only with key inserted into " blind" keyhole in I deride if license plate area. The price for technology I guess!

OR, you enter the car and select the trunk security lock OFF and get out of the car and open the trunk with
1. the remote
2. the trunk release button below the drivers armrest.
3. the release button under the left side of the trunk lid.

Much easier this way, especially in the dark, at the airport, during a rain storm.

QuantumRift

Been here awhile...
Central OH
First problem, trunk will only open with key in actual trunk lock. Remote release on door, pressing smart key or attempting to use manual release under lip near license plate will not function. Trunk will open only with key in underside of lid near license plate. What did I screw up? 2012 R-Spec by the way.
Jbo

You have jarred the valet switch in the glove box. Open glove box, look towards the top, and switch it back out of valet mode.

Jbo

Been here awhile...
Either I hit the switch or the window tint guy when he was looking for stacks on $100 bills in glove box......probably me!

QuantumRift

Been here awhile...
Central OH
Yea, I inadvertently did it again yesterday afternoon...I was in the glove box replacing the incandescent festoon bulb with a LED version and I guess I pressed the button and put it in valet mode...as SOON as I tried the trunk release on the FOB, then the finger switch, I knew what the problem was...ME.

LoL :D

G-317910

Jbo

G-919562

Found answer on page 32 page 32 of Quick reference guide, never did find it in operating manual. But I guessI'm learning to be creative in reading the 6 pounds of manuals...that is against all laws of real MEN!!!
Thanks for the clue. You saved me hours of (possibly futile) searching. My Genesis is a 2011 4.6, and page 32 was a blank page for written notes, but I just flipped back to page 30 and there it was. The answer for me was easy but still pretty convoluted and complicated, partly due to model year changes. I guess that could be typical of Hyundai.

Blkceasar

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Coupe (2009-2016)
Jbo
I had the same problem months ago and solved it with the valet button in the glove box. But the same issue has occurred again and I cant open trunk. Worse yet, my key does not physically go into the slot provided under the trunk. I click the inside trunk open and the dash light just flickers. I am stuck on this one. Two people told me to reset the system by disconnecting the battery. Except we Genesis owners know that 's not possible without removing the back seat. Help I am stuck on this one.