Engine Misfires - 2015 V8

Dimitry

Registered Member
Other week I had the car start shaking fairly badly on a stop light, along with flashing check engine light. Car ended up stalling, although I was able to restart it, without the check engine light but still a rough idle.

Car was smoother but throttled at higher RPMs, however every time it was idle it'd shake fairly badly as a result of the misfire. Wasn't able to actually start it once until I gave slightly depressed the gas when it was starting up. I actually had a headache on the way home, and when I got out of the car, there was an overwhelming gas odor as if I was right next to a puddle of gas.

I've got a scanner tool, and it came up with misfires on cylinders 8 and 4. Had it towed to a local dealer, they determined it was cylinder 8's fuel injector that needed a replacement.

It was replaced with minimal downtime, and the car was good for a few days.

A few days later, same symptoms reoccurred. Scanner tool revealed more misfires (2, 4, 6, 8). It's been in the shop for about a week now, they've replaced another fuel injector and it's still misfiring. They're going to try replacing the drive control module, as they suspect it's gone bad. They're going to need to order it and burn the VIN onto it, and it'll probably take a while.

Any of you have a similar issue on the Tau?

http://i.imgur.com/W7RAbbx.png

I'll keep you guys updated on the progress.

Dimitry

Registered Member
Any chance it could have been caused by some bad gas?
I'd imagine bad gas would cause a misfire on all cylinders. What they've been telling me so far is that cylinder 8 so far is the primary culprit, even though I've seen misfires on that entire bank (2, 4, 6, 8)

At least they are duplicating the problem.
Amen to that one. I've still got a sound issue here (Volume at over half is prone to clipping/cutting out) that they just flat out refuse to work on anymore, citing normal operation. That's direction straight from regional/national too. That's a whole different animal to pursue though...

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Volume at over half is prone to clipping/cutting out.
Probably amplifier protection circuits cutting in. Music that is recorded to high quality standards (not seriously compressed) can require up to 10 times the amplifier power during peak music passages as compared to the average sound pressure level.

Dimitry

Registered Member
Probably amplifier protection circuits cutting in. Music that is recorded to high quality standards (not seriously compressed) can require up to 10 times the amplifier power during peak music passages as compared to the average sound pressure level.
Probably. Nonetheless, it shouldn't occur. What's even worse, is that new Genesis vehicles I've tested on the lot are just fine with the same settings. It's an issue that seems to really degrades over time, and just in time for the 3 year/36k warranty for liability to shift from the manufacturer to the consumer (For 16 MY, they shifted the radio warranty to 5/60 however) Haven't had another car aside from the Genesis that has had the same problem.

Dimitry

Registered Member
Sorry, I was going by the description under your name. I see that you changed it. Any luck getting to the bottom of the issue?
None yet unfortunately. Engineering/Techs are working on getting it up and running, last I heard they're ordering a DCM.

HMA didn't offer a loaner either.

forzza1

Registered Member
Toronto, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Other week I had the car start shaking fairly badly on a stop light, along with flashing check engine light. Car ended up stalling, although I was able to restart it, without the check engine light but still a rough idle.

Car was smoother but throttled at higher RPMs, however every time it was idle it'd shake fairly badly as a result of the misfire. Wasn't able to actually start it once until I gave slightly depressed the gas when it was starting up. I actually had a headache on the way home, and when I got out of the car, there was an overwhelming gas odor as if I was right next to a puddle of gas.

I've got a scanner tool, and it came up with misfires on cylinders 8 and 4. Had it towed to a local dealer, they determined it was cylinder 8's fuel injector that needed a replacement.

It was replaced with minimal downtime, and the car was good for a few days.

A few days later, same symptoms reoccurred. Scanner tool revealed more misfires (2, 4, 6, 8). It's been in the shop for about a week now, they've replaced another fuel injector and it's still misfiring. They're going to try replacing the drive control module, as they suspect it's gone bad. They're going to need to order it and burn the VIN onto it, and it'll probably take a while.

Any of you have a similar issue on the Tau?

http://i.imgur.com/W7RAbbx.png

I'll keep you guys updated on the progress.
Had the same problem on my 2009 BMW 750i. Dealer replaced all injectors, spark plugs to no avail. Eventually was concluded that the carbon deposit on the valves and intake was the culprit.

Gunkk

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Florida
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Amen to that one. I've still got a sound issue here (Volume at over half is prone to clipping/cutting out) that they just flat out refuse to work on anymore, citing normal operation. That's direction straight from regional/national too. That's a whole different animal to pursue though...
1. get tazer
2. unplug radio (or amp) from chassis, whichever it is... or both, who knows?!
3. taze the radio-side plug
4. plug back in
5. verify head unit is dead, or repeat from step #2.
6. take back to dealer for warranty replacement

Dimitry

Registered Member
Nearly 3 weeks now in the shop.

DCM changed, fuel injectors replaced, but the 2/4/6/8 cylinder bank keeps misfiring. Field engineer coming out to check out the vehicle tomorrow.

They should have a loaner finally available on the 1st. Ugh.

Had the same problem on my 2009 BMW 750i. Dealer replaced all injectors, spark plugs to no avail. Eventually was concluded that the carbon deposit on the valves and intake was the culprit.
Good suggestion. Mentioned that to the SM, and he said it may be that, but there's so many different things it can be at this point.

1. get tazer
2. unplug radio (or amp) from chassis, whichever it is... or both, who knows?!
3. taze the radio-side plug
4. plug back in
5. verify head unit is dead, or repeat from step #2.
6. take back to dealer for warranty replacement
Sounds illegal. :p I'd rather they just fix the car.

Dimitry

Registered Member
Update:

Still no loaner from the dealer/HMA.

Field Service Engineer came out to inspect the car, and determined that it needs a new long block. That's on order, and ETA for all the work completed is Friday of next week.

Just over a year and the car has been out of service for 6+ weeks and counting. How disappointing.

I love the product - but man, what a service nightmare with the Genesis.

balfor

Registered Member
CA
That is a long time, check your state lemon laws. I know in CA you would qualify for a buy back, over 30 days out of service within 18 months is enough.

Does not sound right to me, a new engine due to misfire?? Misfire is almost always fuel or ignition related.