EPB Glitch?

Genspec14

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I experienced something rather unsettling this morning. Freakin cold Texas morning. I drove 3 miles to an intersection with a ridiculously long light (turned out to be a blessing) So I’m sitting there 2 minutes, the temp gauge hasn’t moved up from zero yet which I didn’t think was right. All of a sudden car shuts down. Notta nothing wouldn’t start. Sat there and took the fob out of my pocket messed with lock unlock a bit. Turned flashers on because I figured that was that. All of sudden it did start but then I was left with the EPB light on. I continue to drive to the store I was intending, turned it off went in came back out, everything was fine no light or issues all the way home.
I'm up for any suggestions on that. I read a post on this light but didn’t really see any resolutions. Probably ought to take it to the dealer though.

Genspec14

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I experienced something rather unsettling this morning. Freakin cold Texas morning. I drove 3 miles to an intersection with a ridiculously long light (turned out to be a blessing) So I’m sitting there 2 minutes, the temp gauge hasn’t moved up from zero yet which I didn’t think was right. All of a sudden car shuts down. Notta nothing wouldn’t start. Sat there and took the fob out of my pocket messed with lock unlock a bit. Turned flashers on because I figured that was that. All of sudden it did start but then I was left with the EPB light on. I continue to drive to the store I was intending, turned it off went in came back out, everything was fine no light or issues all the way home.
I'm up for any suggestions on that. I read a post on this light but didn’t really see any resolutions. Probably ought to take it to the dealer though.
I see that no one has touched this post so I will add to it since it’s been enough time. So far it seems very evident (because it makes perfect sense) that the issue was a dead or close to it key fob. You can steal a push button started car but you won’t go too far before it doesn’t detect a fob and shuts down. Hopefully this may help someone that experiences it. Best to just replace the battery at least once a year.

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I see that no one has touched this post so I will add to it since it’s been enough time. So far it seems very evident (because it makes perfect sense) that the issue was a dead or close to it key fob. You can steal a push button started car but you won’t go too far before it doesn’t detect a fob and shuts down. Hopefully this may help someone that experiences it. Best to just replace the battery at least once a year.

I have never heard of a smart key car shutting down because it couldn't see the key. It's a safety feature for it not to. (Exception: If the car is stopped in park for several (more than ten?) minutes, this is only for some cars.) Plenty of people have driven off without their key. The cars keep running till the driver shuts it down. Then, they can't restart it.

Sounds like an electrical failure to me. Maybe loose battery cables?

Genspec14

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I have never heard of a smart key car shutting down because it couldn't see the key. It's a safety feature for it not to. (Exception: If the car is stopped in park for several (more than ten?) minutes, this is only for some cars.) Plenty of people have driven off without their key. The cars keep running till the driver shuts it down. Then, they can't restart it.

Sounds like an electrical failure to me. Maybe loose battery cables?
I understand that to true as well but at that traffic light, I had been sitting in neutral for just over 2 minutes when it shut off. That’s when it said “no key detected” so that is what made me think of the battery. Days before I actually did have a negative battery cable issue of being loose but I corrected that right away and before this incident. Anyway, so far so good, hasn’t happened since.

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I understand that to true as well but at that traffic light, I had been sitting in neutral for just over 2 minutes when it shut off. That’s when it said “no key detected” so that is what made me think of the battery. Days before I actually did have a negative battery cable issue of being loose but I corrected that right away and before this incident. Anyway, so far so good, hasn’t happened since.
I didn't realize you were in neutral. Why?

PRINCE KEN

Registered Member
H TOWN TEXAS
Genesis Model Type
A free piece of advice if I may my fellow Texan during early Texas Cold mornings you may want to spare some extra time like 5 minutes to crank up your R Spec up until that temperature guage moves at least close to the middle before take off Another thing I have noticed is that most times in cold weather it's actually best to push start your vehicle with the actual physical Keyfob at start up

Genspec14

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
A free piece of advice if I may my fellow Texan during early Texas Cold mornings you may want to spare some extra time like 5 minutes to crank up your R Spec up until that temperature guage moves at least close to the middle before take off Another thing I have noticed is that most times in cold weather it's actually best to push start your vehicle with the actual physical Keyfob at start up
This post was a little while back. It was the first thing the car did leading up to a newer post; Severe Jolt going on right now. I always warm the car up for several minutes before taking off, just not Fully. So the car stalled at that light but come to find out the only reason it didn’t start right back up was a dying key fob issue. It had that lingering light after I took off but it went away later after I restarted it at the store. The push start on my dash is the only way I can start the car so just not sure what you meant above. Thanks for your reply. Man it’s cold now isn’t it? Ridiculous!

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums