EPB issue

cruno

Registered Member
NJ
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
My 2011 Equus needs to have the entire electronic parking brake controller replaced. My go-to shop said they could do the replacement but it looks like it might need to be programmed, which they can't do for this car.

Has anyone here had the EPB controller replaced and do you know if it requires programming?

A.F.

Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
My 2011 Equus needs to have the entire electronic parking brake controller replaced. My go-to shop said they could do the replacement but it looks like it might need to be programmed, which they can't do for this car.

Has anyone here had the EPB controller replaced and do you know if it requires programming?

Did you ever find out if it needs to be programmed? I’m in the same situation with my 2012 Equus. My EPB completely stopped working and I’m not planning on having it replaced by the dealership.

cruno

Registered Member
NJ
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Nope. Decided to just sit on it and not use the parking brake for a while.

Here's a short video of the issue I made a few weeks ago. When you engage the parking brake there's a god awful noise coming from the controller.

Kraig Wilkinson

Registered Member
New Jersey now live in South Dakota
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)

Here's a short video of the issue I made a few weeks ago. When you engage the parking brake there's a god awful noise coming from the controller.

Yikes ! Sounds like something like stripped gears.

A.F.

Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)

Wow that really is an awful noise.

The problem I’m having with my car is that the parking brake just won’t engage at all. If I press the parking brake switch, nothing happens. The EPB light is constantly on the dashboard and while I'm driving it constantly tells me to push the EPB switch.

I have ordered a used parking brake module from a low mileage Equus at a junkyard for $200 and I am going to attempt to have it replaced by an independent mechanic. I will update you and let you know if that works out for me. I'm really hoping it doesn't need to be programmed.

cruno

Registered Member
NJ
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Wow that really is an awful noise.

The problem I’m having with my car is that the parking brake just won’t engage at all. If I press the parking brake switch, nothing happens. The EPB light is constantly on the dashboard and while I'm driving it constantly tells me to push the EPB switch.

I have ordered a used parking brake module from a low mileage Equus at a junkyard for $200 and I am going to attempt to have it replaced by an independent mechanic. I will update you and let you know if that works out for me. I'm really hoping it doesn't need to be programmed.

That's awesome you were able to find one at such a low price!

I may end up getting a used one as well but the prices I was seeing were closer to $700. Better than the $1200+ prices I was seeing for new, but not really cheap either.

My main concern with going used at such a high price is that my shop says this looks near identical to the controller they use on BMWs, which he repairs a lot of, and that this is a pretty common issue with them, so usually better to go with a new part.

At $200 though it's definitely worth a shot, good luck!

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

A.F.

Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
I found a bunch of them for sale for under $200 actually on Car-part.com. It's in a weird category but there's actually a lot of EPB modules available. Search for a Cruise Control Computer and it will show the parking brake module in the sub categories.

My mechanic is going to try and replace it this weekend, I'll let you know what happens.

A.F.

Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)

I just had the EPB module replaced today by my mechanic and we did not need to program it, we just removed the old one and installed the junkyard one and now it's working perfectly again.

I think I have an idea as to what may be wrong with your system. Before we installed the module in our car, we plugged it in and turned it on to make sure the module was working and when we engaged it, it actually made the exact same noise that yours did. After installing it anyway, my mechanic adjusted the parking brake and then it hasn't made that noise again. I'm hoping it stays that way. So maybe your parking brake just needs to be adjusted as well? On the wheel hub, there is a tiny rubber plug that you remove and it can be adjusted from there.

Hope this helps.

cruno

Registered Member
NJ
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
I just had the EPB module replaced today by my mechanic and we did not need to program it, we just removed the old one and installed the junkyard one and now it's working perfectly again.

I think I have an idea as to what may be wrong with your system. Before we installed the module in our car, we plugged it in and turned it on to make sure the module was working and when we engaged it, it actually made the exact same noise that yours did. After installing it anyway, my mechanic adjusted the parking brake and then it hasn't made that noise again. I'm hoping it stays that way. So maybe your parking brake just needs to be adjusted as well? On the wheel hub, there is a tiny rubber plug that you remove and it can be adjusted from there.

Hope this helps.
That's great to hear, thanks! Once I'm back from vacation I'll start by fixing the part on the hub and see if that does the trick. I have a feeling that might be what's broken on mine and the controller may end up being okay, but we'll see.

Z1968

Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
That's great to hear, thanks! Once I'm back from vacation I'll start by fixing the part on the hub and see if that does the trick. I have a feeling that might be what's broken on mine and the controller may end up being okay, but we'll see.
cruno, did this work? Any news / updates on your repair? I have the same problem/noise with my parking brake.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners