Equus 5.0 V8 Air Intake for 15hp gain!

Driv200

Been here awhile...
Central US
Just installed on my Rspec 5.0 V8, ABEL Racing built and installed this Cone Air Intake. The 5.0 motors have "4" catalytic converters and very restrictive airboxes with secondary flapper valve for more restriction. When you install a CAI like this, you do a number of positive things:

* 15 more horsepower
* better gas mileage (probably 3-5mpg city & hwy)
* 7-11 more pounds of torque
* Great V8 muscle sound only when you are full throttle
* No droning or funny noises
* Car is still stock quiet for everyday driving

If you are a performance guy wanting to get more out of your Equus 5.0 V8, then this will make you happy and put you closer to the sound of a Mercedes AMG.

(For another 15hp gain, you can unbolt the two rear catalytic converters and install MSA cat delete pipes for a total of 30hp gain! Dyno pic below shows our results in both horsepower and torque improvements.)

If you are interested in this kit, PM me.

Attachments

• Rspec air box.JPG
    Rspec air box.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 983
  • Rspec CAI.JPG
    Rspec CAI.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 1,618
  • Rspec stock vs upgrades.JPG
    Rspec stock vs upgrades.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 909

TimC

Getting familiar with the group...

omelyan

Registered Member
Is it suitable for 3.8 Gen?

TimC

No chance you get 3-5 mpg more with an air intake. MAYBE 1mpg...
I aggree, the engineers at Hyundai have squeezed out so much mileage from that motor/tranny combo already, I'd suprised to see a 1mpg increase.
More air is definitely going to mean more power when it's opened up, but not more fuel efficiency at the low end as the computer has all the air it needs the feed the motor down there.

Of course I'd happy if you could prove me wrong...I'm already getting over 26mpg average on my R-spec, so long as I keep an easy pedal.

Driv200

Been here awhile...
Central US
I got some decent iPhone vids on Dyno and interior sound with the CAI! Can one of you send me ur email so you can post links? Even got a quick race with supercharged Z06 who missed a shift before passing me. It was our first test run off the Dyno.

Perhaps I am optimistic with improved mpg. Will let you know after some miles are put on. :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWDLR_w4QtE&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]2012 Hyundai Genesis Rspec CAI Dyno - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WeaGAx6tDA&feature=email"]2012 Genesis Rspec ABEL Racing's CAI "decibel interior" - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Driv200

Been here awhile...
Central US
ER I have a 2012 Equus too. Vids are of the exact same V8 in '12 Equus. Filmed in my Rspec. Many Equus owners are contacting me about the upgrades for more power!

Kemp

I put the K & N air filter on. Seems to have more pickup, but got an oily smell first time I ran it. what is with the little air filter? I don't see where that will go on an Equus, no room in the engine compartment.

Driv200

Been here awhile...
Central US
Almost lost this thread.

Kemp - factory 930 slant? SWEET!!!! Drove a 930 slant turbo S for awhile and it was a 1st -2nd gear screamer. Among the quickest ever I drove.

This new air filter in the Equus and Rspec replaces the huge stock air box you see in the front and left part of your engine. It's about 25% of your engine bay space. Mostly to conform to California emissions and to achieve the amazing quietness.

I retract my initial statement of gas mileage improvement. It's probably closer to 1mpg better if any, but it's the sound that really impresses along with the proven horsepower increase of 15hp at the wheels!!

Kemp

I am a little confused. I put in the K N filter in the black stock box. Sounds great. Are you saying that you get rid of the box and reinstall a new filter? Little worried about warranty on that. Yes the slant nose, one of 114, is a widow maker. I took out the cat converter and installed a Boland and a higher pressure turbo gate. Got 23,000 miles on it, 1987. And yes second gear is scary. Shit the whole car is scary. Go Cart with a roof.

Driv200

Been here awhile...
Central US
Kemp, post #6 above 1st video shows what the replacement filter looks like after you remove entire air box assembly. I did the K&N drop in at first too, but it did not do anything for me or the horsepower gains

If you want any excitement in your. Equus when you floor the gas, you need a Cold Air Intake....or cone filter. It does make a difference and gets you closer to a more aggressive sound vs stock. The cool part is you only hear the difference when you are hard on the gas. It's stock quiet in normal driving.

As for your P car, love it. I did a 1bar boost controller and recirculated the blow off air back into the turbo inlet.....so I had quicker spool up out of corners. Less turbo lag. I raced a 930 Turbo in the PCA events. Nothing like them today......everything is more balanced and tame. Some might say boring.

Driv200

Been here awhile...
Central US
Re: Equus 5.0 V8 Electric Exhaust Cut Outs = Open/Closed

I think you guys will like this one:

It's my Genesis Rspec, but I'm building one for my Equus too.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2a0vjHyUCE&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]2012 Genesis R-Spec - Exhaust Cutout Open/Closed/Partial - YouTube[/ame]

Kemp

I saw the stock box and was a little afraid that is what you did. I am thinking five year warranty, do I want the hassle for the extra HP? You know if I blow the engine, they are going to tell me to kiss off. Risk=reward? Not worth it. I want to scare the hell out of myself I'll take out the 930. I'll bet it does sound great.

Kemp

Any chace we could get a dealer to approve this?

Jbo

Been here awhile...
Dealers do not approve a modification to any car. Only the manufacturer can, and most won't due to liability and warranty issues.

Driv200

Been here awhile...
Central US
The fun thing about air kit upgrades is it only takes a screw driver and 15 minutes to put stock box back in. If you want a little more performance and better (AMG/BMW M) sound, the cone air fiters are the rage and are easily the best way to get 15 more wheel horsepower!

ImInPA

Been here awhile...
Very few, if any, CAI systems yield much at all. Can you post your before and after dyno results for both hp and torque? The one you posted looks more like torque Ratings. It is hard to believe you would lose over 100 hp at the wheels due to parasitic losses.

Glad it makes you feel good.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums