Equus Signature Review

Turbineguy

Hasn't posted much yet...
Howdy all,

I spent a week with a new Equus last month courtesy of Hyundai's press fleet, and absolutely loved the car. I see it as an excellent competitor to the Lexus LS, but for about 10k less. I'd like to hear from owners and others familiar with the car.

I have an R-Spec coupe coming next week, and will be posting that review 1 or 2 weeks later.

http://www.examiner.com/review/hyundai-equus-lexus-is-on-notice?cid=db_articles

Regards,
Will

Last edited:
I have a 2013 Equus Signature. I have had a 1997 BMW 740 iL and still have a 1996 BMW 850 ci. There is no way the quality of either of the BMWs comes close to the Equus. I have not been in a newer BMW so presumably the quality has gotten better. The 850 spends most of its life in the shop where it is at present (coming up on three weeks).
One thing I noticed in the review is Will stated that the 2012 Equus has manual rear seat window shades. Is that correct? The 2013 does not have rear seat window shades, only rear window shade (power).
I tried to "build" a BMW on line that was comparable to the Equus Signature and the closest I could come was somewhere around $109,000.

BacktoHyundaibychoice

Registered Member
Suburban Chicago
I have a 2013 Equus Signature. I have had a 1997 BMW 740 iL and still have a 1996 BMW 850 ci. There is no way the quality of either of the BMWs comes close to the Equus. I have not been in a newer BMW so presumably the quality has gotten better. The 850 spends most of its life in the shop where it is at present (coming up on three weeks).
One thing I noticed in the review is Will stated that the 2012 Equus has manual rear seat window shades. Is that correct? The 2013 does not have rear seat window shades, only rear window shade (power).
I tried to "build" a BMW on line that was comparable to the Equus Signature and the closest I could come was somewhere around $109,000.

The '11 Equus has power rear/side window shades, they were dropped to manual in '12. I assumed it was to further differentiate between the Sig and Ult.
Sad to hear they're gone completely in the '13.

thanks for the review of your equus! sounds like the 2013 equus signature is a great choice!

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

vasy

Getting familiar with the group...
VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

Richard, does your 2013 Equus' TPMS display each tire's inflation pressure on the dash? Is it location-specific, i.e., does it tell you which pressure setting is for which tire? Thanks.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Richard, does your 2013 Equus' TPMS display each tire's inflation pressure on the dash? Is it location-specific, i.e., does it tell you which pressure setting is for which tire? Thanks.
Might be hard to answer unless one has had a problem with tire pressure or has read the manual. I know the Genesis (and I am sure Equus) displays on the dash the location of the tire with the tire pressure problem, but does not display the exact tire pressure (which might be misleading if they did display the pressure because I suspect they are only accurate to within a few PSI).

vasy

VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Might be hard to answer unless one has had a problem with tire pressure or has read the manual. I know the Genesis (and I am sure Equus) displays on the dash the location of the tire with the tire pressure problem, but does not display the exact tire pressure (which might be misleading if they did display the pressure because I suspect they are only accurate to within a few PSI).

Some luxury cars can display all 5 tires' pressure in the instrument panel if you press a button at any time. Lexus LS 460 is one of them. 2013 LS 460's system is location-specific while previous years' (07 - 12) are not. I was wondering if Equus' TPMS is similar.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Some luxury cars can display all 5 tires' pressure in the instrument panel if you press a button at any time. Lexus LS 460 is one of them. 2013 LS 460's system is location-specific while previous years' (07 - 12) are not. I was wondering if Equus' TPMS is similar.
According to the Equus OM (owners manual download from https://www.hyundaitechinfo.com , it appears to be very similar (or identical) to the Genesis:
  • Only displays a warning if the tire is seriously under inflated (does not display exact pressure).
  • The compact spare does not have TPMS. Not 100% sure if this means all Equus come with a compact spare, or only some countries get compact spare in Equus. But OM is clear that if car has compact spare, it does not come with TPMS. Even if a full size spare is included, and has a TPMS sensor, I doubt it would work unless mounted on the car, since it takes a little while for the TPMS to be calibrated while driving after an under inflated tire is properly inflated.
  • Does display the location of the tire that has a tire pressure problem "if equipped"(which I assume means that some countries may not get that feature, such as Canada for example, which does not have TPMS on the Canadian Genesis, However, I know that US version of Genesis and Equus both have TPMS.).

Sounds to me like the 2013 Lexus LS 460 has a completely different type of TPMS which shows actual tire pressure even when a tire is not mounted on the car, although I would be curious as to how accurate that is. For $40,000 more, I would expect a few extra things that the Equus does not have.

vasy

VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
According to the Equus OM (owners manual download from https://www.hyundaitechinfo.com , it appears to be very similar (or identical) to the Genesis:
  • Only displays a warning if the tire is seriously under inflated (does not display exact pressure).
  • The compact spare does not have TPMS. Not 100% sure if this means all Equus come with a compact spare, or only some countries get compact spare in Equus. But OM is clear that if car has compact spare, it does not come with TPMS. Even if a full size spare is included, and has a TPMS sensor, I doubt it would work unless mounted on the car, since it takes a little while for the TPMS to be calibrated while driving after an under inflated tire is properly inflated.
  • Does display the location of the tire that has a tire pressure problem "if equipped"(which I assume means that some countries may not get that feature, such as Canada for example, which does not have TPMS on the Canadian Genesis, However, I know that US version of Genesis and Equus both have TPMS.).

Sounds to me like the 2013 Lexus LS 460 has a completely different type of TPMS which shows actual tire pressure even when a tire is not mounted on the car, although I would be curious as to how accurate that is. For $40,000 more, I would expect a few extra things that the Equus does not have.

Thanks. I downloaded the entire manual following your link. Confirmed what you and Richard said. At least it lets you know which tire is under-inflated.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Thanks. I downloaded the entire manual following your link. Confirmed what you and Richard said. At least it lets you know which tire is under-inflated.
Unfortunately, I can tell you from experience that the Genesis has done that from the 2009 MY, and obviously the Equus also.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners