Equus vs 300c luxury

MercedesOwner

Hasn't posted much yet...
MI
I find the Equus to be a bit puzzling in where it slots with the competition. I don't find it to be a legitimate competitor to the S, 7, or A8 at this stage. Nor should it be expected to be at the significant price advantage. Likewise, the size and drive dynamics don't lend comparisons to the mid-size germans (E,5,A6).

That being said I think the best comparisons are to the Cadillac DTS and the Chrysler 300. The 300 can be optioned out to a comparable level to the Signature Equus, especially when the new luxury series appears later in 2012. The size of the two is comparable, the features are comparable, but here the 300 will be at a significant discount to the Equus. A similar point can be made with the Cadillac. Moreover, Cadillac has their new luxo-barge due out presently which will heighten the comparison.

It seems to me the Equus lives in a no-mans land and the value proposition is not that clear to me. Yes, the valet service and warranty are outstanding and above competitors.

I truly enjoy my new Equus but I would have not purchased unless I got the phenomenal lease rate that I did. I have driven the new 300 and I will tell you that it is a legitimate competitor to the Equus.

I applaud Hyundai for making the bold step into the luxury market but in my opinion they need to address quickly the driving dynamics and some material choices in order to define where they want to compete. Reduce some content that is a bit silly such as massaging seats, back seat heat, etc. and compete with Chrysler and Cadillac. Or hit the development button on dynamics while keeping pricing in check and really try to get the S and 7 series

My 2 cents

BacktoHyundaibychoice

Registered Member
Suburban Chicago
I guess it's all about from where you come, or where you want to go...

I have never aspired to an S, 7, or A8. So that the Equus is even mentioned as "close" to those, or "70%" of the way there, tells me I'm driving an exceptional value ($$) and a great car.

That said, the one car that it's probably targeting isn't mentioned in your post:
The LS. Hyundai may be inviting/welcoming comparisons to the Germans (even if coming up a little short), but to pay mid-$50's for the Horse compared to mid-$70's for the LS has to be tempting for those shoppers.

Caddy? Fiat? Maybe they'll get there, maybe not. Won't matter to me as I see myself rolling into a '14 Equus when this lease expires. Looking forward to AWD by then.
;)

MercedesOwner

Hasn't posted much yet...
MI
I have never owned a Lexus or spent anytime in one. I guess you are right that is probably the better comparison. To that I can't add anything without driving the LS. AWD will be a necessity, I agree.

The advantage Equus has is that it is being compared to the top tier so the perception to the public is one of a halo car. The 300 does not have this, nor will it probably have as the model line stretches too far down the price point. You can have a stripper 300 for <30K or the executive 300 for 50k. I never understood or agreed with the concept of stretching a model line. Hard to spend 50k for what you know, save some bling, is really a 27k car.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
I find the Equus to be a bit puzzling in where it slots with the competition. I don't find it to be a legitimate competitor to the S, 7, or A8 at this stage. Nor should it be expected to be at the significant price advantage. Likewise, the size and drive dynamics don't lend comparisons to the mid-size germans (E,5,A6).

Neither is the LS460 nor should it be considering that it is priced $20k cheaper than the S Class.

And really, neither the 7 or A8 can really compare to the S Class despite being newer models; the new S Class will blow them away in terms of luxury, but that's as it should be the S Class has a $10k premium over the other 2.

That being said I think the best comparisons are to the Cadillac DTS and the Chrysler 300. The 300 can be optioned out to a comparable level to the Signature Equus, especially when the new luxury series appears later in 2012. The size of the two is comparable, the features are comparable, but here the 300 will be at a significant discount to the Equus.

The Chrysler 300 is more in size compared to the Genesis sedan and 300's interior doesn't quite match up to that of the Genesis (the new Luxury trim will meet, if not exceed the Genesis, but the new Genesis is around the corner and will have a more luxurious interior), so I think it's a bit of a stretch to compare it to the Equus.

Also, the new Kia K9 which will slot btwn the Genesis and Equus in size and price has a more luxurious interior than either, so we will see similar interior upgrades for the 2 (in a no. of ways, the interior of the new Azera beats that of the Genesis).

In addition, merely putting in nicer leather or wood trim is hardly an indication of "luxury" (see Aston Cygnet).

The new compact Buick Verano supposedly has interior materials on par, if not better than in the CTS and I would suspect the new ATS will be even better in that regard. But the new CTS supposedly will gte a serious upgrade in its interior to compete with the Germans.

And let's not forget, the Germans have traditionally been a bit lacking when it comes to luxurious interiors (esp. compared to the Brits), tending to be more spartan than luxurious until fairly recently.

The 3 Series finally has an interior befitting an entry luxury sedan, but even the interior in the old 3er was way better than the overly cheap interior of the 1st gen X3 (along the same lines, the interior of the Infiniti G35 was pretty atrocious as well).

Mercedes recently got done upgrading the interior of the C Class w/ the refresh so that it's now respectable; the GLK is still a bit chinzy (but the GLK refresh is on the way).

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!
The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners