Excessive tire wear on my 2015 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 AWD. !!!!Any ideas would be great!!!

GMCGenesisguy

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Hello all, I am new here. I've bought a 2015 Hyundai Genesis AWD with the 5.0L. Love the car, but I am having some issues with the rear tires. When I bought it in June, new nitto motivo tires were put on and an alignment was done. I am aware that the rear tires are wider than the front. The mileage was about 70,000km when I bought it. I recently did a tire rotation and noticed that both rear tires had inner edge thread wear to the wires. I was shocked that I was driving with this these dangerous tires for who knows how long. I checked the tires pressure and it was normal. I do mostly highway driving, idk if that is a factor. I dont corner hard either. The front tires looks new, and no sign of uneven wear. Now my car has just over 100,000km on it. Has anyone else had similar issues with their genesis? Is this normal? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
IMG_4336.JPG

snork

Registered Member
North NJ
Genesis Model Type
Yeah, that's a tire failure waiting to happen. Needs fixing quick. Looks like camber and alignment issue. Since it's the inside of the tire, when looking at the car from the rear do the tire lean in at the top?

GMCGenesisguy

Genesis Model Type
Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the inputs. Yes it does lean a little at the top, I'm guessing thats a sign it needs an alignment. I think I have to do alignments every 2-3 month now, because tires are so expensive for this thing. Thats for all the input, I really appreciate it!

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
No once a year is enough. Once you realize the actual problem or issue it will diminish and cease to cause you problems with the tires.

GMCGenesisguy

Genesis Model Type
The roads are very bumpy on the highway, that might be a contributing factor to the alignment. I just got my tires replaced from the dealer and they said I need an alignment. So I'm going to get that done within the month or so. Hopefully it the problem goes away.

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
You ought to get it done now to save on any excessive wear.

djohnk

Hasn't posted much yet...
Oklahoma
Same thing happened to me on my 2015 AWD 3.8 ... Inner tire wear on all four. Just used the prorated warranty from Michelin at only 30000 miles. Down to the belt in inner tire and much tread on outer. Had four wheel alignment done at Dealership three days after installing tires and rotated tires as scheduled. Same thing happened on original tires!!

bubbaG80Sport

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The picture above indicates too much negative camber. If toe was out of spec the wear would be wider/further toward the center of the tire.

You indicate the abnormal wear is the same on both rear tires. This is unusual to see the same wear on 2 tires. Unlikely, but that shop may have a alignment machine out of calibration. I'd take it to another alignment shop. Post your alignment readings here if you have them/can.

More likely it's a rear suspension issue (loose bolts, bent rear suspension/sway bar).

GMCGenesisguy

Genesis Model Type
Thanks for the input guys. I have installed brand new tires and got an alignment done. But 4 month in, and the same thing is happening again. Only happening on the rear tires, the front still have the nitto motivo tires on from when I bought it a year ago. I really dont want to be going through this many tires in such a short period of time. I still have warranty on my car, should I bring it into the dealership?

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Seejay

Registered Member
Houston
It's easy to destroy the rear tires on most v8 luxury cars. I don't intentionally do this, but the torque available from a stop is intoxicating and ...expensive. Driving style is a big factor here. If the OP is a feather foot kind of driver, then something is wrong.

Love2sing

pinawa
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
2015 Hyundai genesis sedan AWD 5.0 lt with 89, ,200 km . I notice that the rear tires are wore out and replaced them last sept , 2018 with 71,533 km . I've replace the rear tire's will be going on 4 times on the back . And they say there is nothing out on the wheel alignment . Does any one have a similar issue . Thank Fred

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
2015 Hyundai genesis sedan AWD 5.0 lt with 89, ,200 km . I notice that the rear tires are wore out and replaced them last sept , 2018 with 71,533 km . I've replace the rear tire's will be going on 4 times on the back . And they say there is nothing out on the wheel alignment . Does any one have a similar issue . Thank Fred
I'm confused. You say you replaced them at 71,000 km (44000 miles) Then you say you replaced them 4 times. Was that the first time or fourth time?