Exhaust pops & crackles anyone!

jimmy buoy

Getting familiar with the group...
Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
My Yamaha FJR 1300 motorcycle makes the same sound, but only when cold. I've been told that its due to the rich fuel/air mixture provided by the ECM for a cold engine and some of the unburnt fuel actually ignites in the muffler system instead of the cylinders upon deceleration.

Toddasaurus

Hasn't posted much yet...
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
My Yamaha FJR 1300 motorcycle makes the same sound, but only when cold. I've been told that its due to the rich fuel/air mixture provided by the ECM for a cold engine and some of the unburnt fuel actually ignites in the muffler system instead of the cylinders upon deceleration.
That's exactly it as far as I understand! In addition to that, some cars utilize this to help spool up the turbos a little quicker. Evidently combustion occurring in the turbo manifold still increases pressure and spools that exhaust turbine even more.

That said, I have no idea if that's what they are doing in the G70 - probably not, because those turbos are SO tiny and so close to the ports as it is, I really don't think they need any fancy anti-lag tuning like described above.

Pretty cool either way; but too loud for me. Haha.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.