Exhaust

Buckdes

Getting familiar with the group...
Found this...might be the first aftermarket product.

Love the quad pipe look.

To current 3.3T owners...does this sound better???

WOW i have not seen this one before, i know of 3 others i have seen which are from Jun BL and being sold now on ebay for $1700 but this one sounds best so far. Definitly alot better than stock but in my opinion since i dont mind the active sound inside the cabin i would not pay 3 grand to have this installed, i would need something a little better to spend the extra cash. Thanks a bunch for this video awesome to start seeing some aftermarket stuff.

LOL i should add that those quad tips look unreal and i would almost pay just for that look haha

SVTong

Registered Member
Edmonton, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think the raspiness is from the fact that this is a titanium version. I had a titanium exhaust on my Skyline that sounded very similar. I'd imagine the stainless ones will be a bit more throaty.

What I'd like to know is how they deal with the stock oval tips. The stock ones are almost moulded into the bumper - did they cut the bumper under the tips to fit the new double tips?

Beefer

Richmond, VA
I think the raspiness is from the fact that this is a titanium version. I had a titanium exhaust on my Skyline that sounded very similar. I'd imagine the stainless ones will be a bit more throaty.

What I'd like to know is how they deal with the stock oval tips. The stock ones are almost moulded into the bumper - did they cut the bumper under the tips to fit the new double tips?
I think what would look slick is the same original oval shape...but separated into 2. Vertical piece or something. Not sure if I am explaining it properly. Keep that molded over shape...but some how make it distinguishable as 2 pieces, etc.

Here is what they did...cutting it out...

1526483047449.png

Original...

1526483177050.png

I definitely prefer the built-in look...but if it was just split in 2 :)

Last edited:

devellis

Been here awhile...
North Carolina
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
One issue is the total area of the tailpipe(s) cross-section. Having two pipes coming out of a muffler but then having them converge into an outlet that's the same size as the current design doesn't seem like a great idea. It suggests a bottleneck for the exhaust flow to me.

Actually, taking a look at the video, seems that's already an issue (see below). In terms of flow restriction, going from the muffler to two relatively large pipes to a considerably narrower Y-pipe that runs to the exhaust tips seems odd, but I haven't looked at how a lot of exhaust systems are configured, honestly. But it seems that running those larger pipes emanating from the muffle directly to the tips without that Y-pipe would have been preferable.

I do agree that the sound was kind of raspy and would prefer a mellower, throatier rumble. I don't see or hear enough here to motivate me to opt for this sort of thing if I got a G70.

1526495712020.png

Beefer

Richmond, VA
Titanium exhausts are definitely not for everyone. I loved mine because it sounded so unique, but the sound was quite harsh at WOT.
So...what is the difference in sound between the titanium and "regular". I am not familiar at all...so perhaps compare in reference to an M3, Mustang V8, Infinity G37, etc.

SVTong

Registered Member
Edmonton, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Most exhausts are made from 304 stainless steel, which for the most part sound like what you would expect a sports exhaust to sound like - deep, rumbly, "throaty". Titanium is a much stronger metal, so they can thin the walls of the exhaust. The properties of the metal combined with the thin walls, makes Ti exhausts sound very metallic. The tone is typically higher, and much more harsh sounding. The biggest advantage is that a Ti exhaust is much lighter than a stainless one.

Beefer

Richmond, VA
Most exhausts are made from 304 stainless steel, which for the most part sound like what you would expect a sports exhaust to sound like - deep, rumbly, "throaty". Titanium is a much stronger metal, so they can thin the walls of the exhaust. The properties of the metal combined with the thin walls, makes Ti exhausts sound very metallic. The tone is typically higher, and much more harsh sounding. The biggest advantage is that a Ti exhaust is much lighter than a stainless one.
Ok...so correct me if I am wrong (and no offense to anyone)...the Ti exhaust sounds like a boy racer type setup. WRX or a Civic, etc. I definitely prefer the throatier sound.

Toddasaurus

Hasn't posted much yet...
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Ok...so correct me if I am wrong (and no offense to anyone)...the Ti exhaust sounds like a boy racer type setup. WRX or a Civic, etc. I definitely prefer the throatier sound.

That's sort of the consensus; however it depends on multiple facotrs, such as the engine and the exhaust design. Technically Ti exhausts can be made to sound more quiet, deep, with less rasp, by using different/additional silencers/resonators/mufflers in the tubing, along with length, diameter, and bends. I've heard a couple that sound pretty nice, but many others than don't sound so nice. That said, just keep in mind that Ti doesn't automatically make it sound like this, it just so happens that one of the big selling points is the lower weight, and in order to maximize this you use less material (ie less muffler/resonator/silencer) and possibly less length and bends (ie many titanium setups will go from a stock dual or quad tip to a single exit/tip). Lastly, chances are that the above exhaust in the video is likely using Jun BL downpipes, without cats, which further increases rasp/noise.

Personally, I love the look of the above exhaust, though I agree with most people here - definitely not a fan of the sound. Too loud. Too raspy. For me, I will end up putting something on that flows better than stock, but isn't much louder (I've done this with larger diameter piping, plus using multiple straight-through, baffled mufflers, plus use larger high-flow cats) though I don't think I'll be able to save any weight over stock.

SVTong

Registered Member
Edmonton, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
No offense taken - the Ti exhaust was great when I had a lowered, heavily modified, and uncomfortable Skyline GT-R. Now that I'm not 22 anymore, I would never get another one because the timbre is so harsh. That being said, I'm not likely to get an aftermarket exhaust on the G70 at all unless there are significant power gains to be had. Although 365hp is already enough to get me into trouble....

Beefer

Richmond, VA
That sounds AMAZING. When he hit the main road and floored it...I got goosebumps !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

omegafiler

SUSTAINING MEMBER
TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Not bad for a V6 (Tork video). Even though I suspect it sounds quite a bit different in person. I know it's hard to accurately capture exhaust sound on camera. Lots of peaking, missing the low frequencies, and then sounds a bit muffled. Still a good video, like the angles.

However, based on other V6 cars with heavily modified exhaust systems I've been in (and owned), drone is all but guaranteed, and is overall probably a bit obnoxious in person. In particular when deleting everything. Not saying it's a "bad thing," just noteworthy. ;)

My suggestion for those who want a louder exhaust, is just start by swapping mufflers only. And hang on to the stock muffler. Assuming you don't mind experimenting. Keeping in mind, it will still sound like a louder V6, but much less chance of heavy drone if you leave resonators alone and such.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.