Extended Warranty (2nd owners) 3.3/3.8/5.0

OBO

Registered Member
Genesis G80
If you are the 2nd owner/subsequent owner, would you get extended warranty ? Did you get extended warranty after manufactured warranty expired ? Is there a need for it really ? Is a waste per se. Just curious to hear you guys.

Bmi949

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Orange County Ca.
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I’m the second owner. This is my first Hyundai so I’m not sure of reliability and service costs. I say if you can afford it and want peace of mind, go for it. Insurance is insurance. If you have it you don’t need it. If you don’t you will probably need it. That’s my luck.

I bought from a private party and they had an extended warranty which was included in the deal. The car still has 6 months hyundai warranty. They transferred the warranty so I’m good. They had a extended maintenance warranty which I’m trying to get transferred also.

OBO

Registered Member
Genesis G80
I’m the second owner. This is my first Hyundai so I’m not sure of reliability and service costs. I say if you can afford it and want peace of mind, go for it. Insurance is insurance. If you have it you don’t need it. If you don’t you will probably need it. That’s my luck.

I bought from a private party and they had an extended warranty which was included in the deal. The car still has 6 months hyundai warranty. They transferred the warranty so I’m good. They had a extended maintenance warranty which I’m trying to get transferred also.
Whats maintenance warranty specifically like ?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis G80
If you are the 2nd owner/subsequent owner, would you get extended warranty ? Did you get extended warranty after manufactured warranty expired ? Is there a need for it really ? Is a waste per se. Just curious to hear you guys.
How much is peace of mind worth to you? A few people here have mentioned the cost was covered after they had problems. Don't recall anyone saying they have it, never used it but I'm sure there are some. It would also have to be full coverage of all the electronics.
I'd not pay a lot for it and I'd only buy one from Hyundai/Genesis not some unknown third party and only if the price was right. For $1200 I'd maybe do it but certainly not for double that.

My house is two years old and the warranty on appliances has run out.. I got an email offering a service policy. with 5 year coverage for $960 for a gas range I can replace for $1300. No thanks.

Bmi949

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Orange County Ca.
I’m not positive, but the guy I bought the car from said it includes all scheduled maintenance. 7 years 100k. He said it covers everything. It was his wife’s car and she wanted everything. She got a promotion and now wants a new car. So with the warranty and maintenance package it was a good deal.

Bmi949

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Orange County Ca.
My warranty is a third party. But I wasn’t going to turn it down. The car still has factory warranty for about 6 months. I have 57k miles but don’t drive much . I have my wife’s hand me down Audi A6 that I use. She got another Audi and trade in was terrible so I kept it.

OBO

Registered Member
Genesis G80
My warranty is a third party. But I wasn’t going to turn it down. The car still has factory warranty for about 6 months. I have 57k miles but don’t drive much . I have my wife’s hand me down Audi A6 that I use. She got another Audi and trade in was terrible so I kept it.
I mean third party warranty shouldn’t be bad. As long as its full bumper to bumper warranty then its fine. 57k miles not bad really , what year is it ? How you liking the g80 so far ? Does it ride smoother than the audi A6 ? Or any german car you have driven ?

Bmi949

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Orange County Ca.
I have a 2015 5.0. It is smoother and more luxurious than the Audi. My Audi is a 2010 3.0 it runs good and not as fast as the Genesis. My 2017 A6 3.0 is faster and handles better. I had a Mercedes E550 coupe was nice . Comparable in speed and better handling. I also had a BMW 650 it was a beauty but maintenance was the worst. No more BMWs . All in all I’m very happy so far with the Genesis. I sold a Escalade ext to buy it. I get bored of cars easily and change every 2-3 years. I like to buy a 3-4 year old car that I can pay cash for.

OBO

Registered Member
Genesis G80
I have a 2015 5.0. It is smoother and more luxurious than the Audi. My Audi is a 2010 3.0 it runs good and not as fast as the Genesis. My 2017 A6 3.0 is faster and handles better. I had a Mercedes E550 coupe was nice . Comparable in speed and better handling. I also had a BMW 650 it was a beauty but maintenance was the worst. No more BMWs . All in all I’m very happy so far with the Genesis. I sold a Escalade ext to buy it. I get bored of cars easily and change every 2-3 years. I like to buy a 3-4 year old car that I can pay cash for.
Our cars are great. Rides wonderful, unique look, im sure you get a lot of compliments on the car . Maintenance is cheap comparable to toyota/acura / honda, to give an example. Service man told a guy came in with his 5 series to change brakes it was 500$ just the front two. Crazy.

Bmi949

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Orange County Ca.
German cars are definitely not cheap. I’ve often spent 2k on repairs for BMW. Mercedes wasn’t as bad. Audi has been good but still expensive. You got to have a good indie dealer

When I got the Genesis, I took it to a indie to check out. The car had all its oil changes at the dealer. I had him change the brake fluid , differential, and alignment. I added transmission service. It was $600 It seemed cheap to what I’m used to. Replacing a $50 part on a BMW would cost $400. I may be hooked on Genesis for a while. Love the look and the ride. Glad they have the Genesis wings I wouldn’t have bought with the H .

OBO

Registered Member
Genesis G80
German cars are definitely not cheap. I’ve often spent 2k on repairs for BMW. Mercedes wasn’t as bad. Audi has been good but still expensive. You got to have a good indie dealer

When I got the Genesis, I took it to a indie to check out. The car had all its oil changes at the dealer. I had him change the brake fluid , differential, and alignment. I added transmission service. It was $600 It seemed cheap to what I’m used to. Replacing a $50 part on a BMW would cost $400. I may be hooked on Genesis for a while. Love the look and the ride. Glad they have the Genesis wings I wouldn’t have bought with the H .
do you change brake fluid , differential just to change it or it was due for a change ? Who does your oil changes , dealer or indie.

Bmi949

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Orange County Ca.
I like to keep fresh fluids. It’s a pet peeve of mine. I figured 60k and 5 years was a good time to change fluids. I think my indie said it was recommended. The previous owner changed the oil at the dealer. I usually use a indie or one of the quick oil change places. The dealer usually takes too long.

I also had him check out my Audi, it has 107k. Needed gaskets and a front control arm bushing. changed the spark plugs , differential and power steering fluid. $1200. Im appreciating the Genesis more and more.

Kwdan

Registered Member
Genesis G80
I normally purchase a warranty through my credit union. The G8 I bought is an 18 and had 13,800 when i bought it, so I still have a ways to go before I purchase warranty. I purchased through the same warranty company for the last 15 years.
Had a Bonneville I purchased warranty for and never had to use it, but in 17 i bought an 07 Mercury Mountaineer with 78,000 miles on it and the warranty company spent over 12,000 in warranty repairs.( 1,500 for 4/48,000 miles 100 Ded gold coverage)
I bought a Yukon I purchased in January with 98,000 miles. Warranty cost $4,000 for 4/48,000 miles (gold coverage). Great warranty company. You can take it to any licensed repair facility.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums