Fake Exhaust Sound

Jackthelad

Hasn't posted much yet...
West Virginia
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Many (most?) modern cars pipe an "exhaust note" into the speakers. That's how they make it louder in "sport" mode. You didn't think that's what the car actually sounds like, did you?

Mr. Incredible

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
it only comes on when in sport mode, and there is an option to turn it off in the dash cluster settings.. it's all in the manual.

bubbaG80Sport

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Tennessee
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
This feature is called Active Sound Design (ASD). It's in the Driver Information System (DIS) under \Home\Setup\Sound. You'll need to scroll to the second screen. There is no option to turn this off. The available settings are Minimized, Normal and Enhanced.

I have it set to "Enhanced" and tested this in all Drive modes (Eco, Normal, Sport) while "kicking my girl in the arse". It sounds the same across all ASD settings and Drive modes to me.

I could not find this documented in the G80 manuals. A picture of the screen from my 2018 G80 Sport 3.3L is attached.
2018-G80-3.3L-ASD.jpg .
To me this is gimmicky feature. If I want to hear the engine/exhaust I just roll the window(s) down!

Last edited:
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
This feature is called Active Sound Design (ASD). It's in the Driver Information System (DIS) under \Home\Setup\Sound. You'll need to scroll to the second screen. There is no option to turn this off. The available settings are Minimized, Normal and Enhanced.

I have it set to "Enhanced" and tested this in all Drive modes (Eco, Normal, Sport) while "kicking my girl in the arse". It sounds the same across all ASD settings and Drive modes to me.

I could not find this documented in the G80 manuals. A picture of the screen from my 2018 G80 Sport 3.3L is attached.
View attachment 16399 .
To me this is gimmicky feature. If I want to hear the engine/exhaust I just roll the window(s) down!
Even with the windows down, the exhaust notes on the sport are less than enjoyable to me. You really have to get into the gears to hear it roar (if you want to call it that). I also noticed a bit of distortion in music when I use the ASD so I turned it off.

To get a bit more from the exhaust, I am going to have the resonator removed. I don't want to remove the whole muffler because now I defeated the purpose of having a nice luxury vehicle BUT I do want some more noise! I have only found 1 youtube video of a sport with a mid-muffler delete & it certainly sounded "clean" with a bit more pride. The ASD is just useless too me. Perhaps if it was on the same level as the BMW version I would have been ok with it but it's not.

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

View attachment 16399 .

to me there is a significant difference in the cabin sound when in Sport mode and going WOT.

it is a gimmicky feature, and it isn't the exhaust you are hearing, it is the intake:

here is an explaination of how Active sound works and it is the same essentially for all manufacturers, no one is piping a mic sound from the rear of the car, they all do it from under the hood/intake area, or use pre-recorded sound.

Faking It: Engine-Sound Enhancement Explained - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver

Ford has the best solution IMO, secondary pipes with baffle covers (restrictor plates) that you can remove, essentially manual cut out.

IMO if you want the sound sometimes and not others secondary pipes in front of the resonators with electric cut-out is the way to go, you don't risk much in terms of modifying the OEM exhaust and when you don't want the loud noise you can close the cutouts.

I have spoken directly with people I know at Magnaflow and Corsa and both have said that there is not enough interest in aftermarket exhaust for the G80 so they are not pursuing it., essentially the car, even the sport, is looked at as a "old man" car like the Lexus LS or the MBZ S-Class and there is no market for loud exhausts or intakes.

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Define ‘old’...;) I prefer ‘mature’- without the need of a loud exhaust note for me to enjoy a comfortable, albeit slight sporty, midsize ‘near-luxury’ sedan. :p

I don't disagree. just stating what I've heard, by many actually.. a lot of my friends and family have used the term "old man car" when asking why I traded in my sports car for a Genesis.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.