Faulty transmission?

Acef595

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Hey so I have a 2018 genesis g80 awd, sometimes when I park even on flat land the car will swing forwards and back and yes I wait for a complete stop and shift smoothly while going into park. Another issue I had was when I was visiting family upstate their driveway has a little hill I reversed up if I let go of the break my car would slide forward in reverse none of their cars do that, even of their cars is a 2018 Hyundai sonata. So my question is, does this sound like a serious issue or does this car just not have hill lock and the parking brake that rough.

Pr0metheuz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Not sure about the hill, but on flat land my car definitely doesn't move like that when parking. I'd get it checked out.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Hey so I have a 2018 genesis g80 awd, sometimes when I park even on flat land the car will swing forwards and back and yes I wait for a complete stop and shift smoothly while going into park. Another issue I had was when I was visiting family upstate their driveway has a little hill I reversed up if I let go of the break my car would slide forward in reverse none of their cars do that, even of their cars is a 2018 Hyundai sonata. So my question is, does this sound like a serious issue or does this car just not have hill lock and the parking brake that rough.
Thinking back, just about every car I ever had with automatic tranny would move a bit in P if the brake was not put on. As for moving forward in Reverse, yes, I've had that happen. It is only a fluid coupling holding you and at a low idle, not much fluid movement. I back into my own driveway but I have auto hold engaged so I never feel the forward movement. I'll have to try it, but I have had that happen on other cars stopping on a hill.

nsyedhasan

Registered Member
Toronto
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm not sure if the G80 puts the parking brake on when you put in park. But I think that be your problem. I'm not 100 percent sure how to explain it but there is a little bit of play in the transmission when in park but when you put the parking brake it'll not move.

As for reverse I'm not sure

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
On an automatic transmission there is a parking pin that engages to hold the car when gear selector is moved to "P". It is a mechanical mechanism and as such there will be some play/give allowing/causing the movement. On every car I've owned I keep my foot on brake, put car in park, set parking brake and THEN release my foot from the brake pedal. The brakes will hold the car in place with the parking pin as a secondary/backup method for holding car in place.

In the "good old days" if did not set the parking brake to hold the car on steep incline it could be difficult to move the car from Park -> Drive or Reverse if there was pressure/stress on the parking pin. With the 2018 G80 Auto-Hold feature enabled, the parking break is automatically set when you put the car in park. It's annoying that you have to turn this feature on every time you start the car.

Your movement in the opposite direction when car is in gear (D or R) on a hill is a different issue and typical on some vehicles. As EdP states above, it's a fluid coupling (transmission fluid in the torque convertor) holding the car. If the steepness of the hill can overcome the resistance in the torque convertor at engine idle the car will drift/move in the opposite direction (gravity rules!). The heaviness of the G80 Sport 2018 HTRAC/AWD (about 4,600lbs!) exacerbates this behavior (again gravity rules!). In this situation using the Auto-Hold feature will keep car from drifting in the opposite direction of the gear selection. Auto-Hold works in forward and reverse.

Last edited:

Acef595

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Thanks everyone for the responses and information. Can sleep at night now, will use the auto hold for the hills and put parking brake on before letting go of the brake and see if my car still moves around.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.