Features that I finally got to work.

ckon

Registered Member
SE Michigan
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I haven’t noticed this because I have mine set to automatically reset on fuel fill-ups. So I haven’t gone in to look at info. Could the difference be that on your last fill it was one number but accumulated it was another because maybe you got a little better gas mileage on another tank of gas? Or is that not what you are asking about?
Filled up yesterday and reset odo. Look at the two readouts reset at the same time: 1610483572784.jpeg

2021GCSGV80

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Filled up yesterday and reset odo. Look at the two readouts reset at the same time: View attachment 33961

I think the number at the bottom of your screen was the last mpg on your last tank of gas, the one on the accumulated is over all driving miles. So this will differ. At least that’s how I read it.

2021GCSGV80

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Today I also got speech to open the lift gate.

I asked it to make it warmer in the car and it changed the temp on my side from 72 to 80. I will see if I can be more specific next time.

ckon

Registered Member
SE Michigan
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I think the number at the bottom of your screen was the last mpg on your last tank of gas, the one on the accumulated is over all driving miles. So this will differ. At least that’s how I read it.
No. It was reset.

JMB

Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Yep. It's required in California that you have your driver's license and registration in your car. Years ago someone "borrowed" our pickup truck from a park and ride, drove it to our house and used the garage door opener to let themselves in. Luckily my daughter was home and our Rottweiler, (Gard dog trained!), was also home so they jumped in the truck and took off as fast as they could. Got the truck back a week or so later when they had it on a sidestreet in another town trying to sell parts off of it. Since then we only carry a copy of the registration with us along with our drivers license and don't have to worry 'bout that ever happening again!
Thanks for the info...GV80 is the first car I have owned that I'd worry about theft!
I will take your advice..
Wondering the navigation system 🤔 would reveal start location..

Kevin L

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Punta Gorda Isles, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I have not been able to get the nav to "go home". It doesn't recognize the "Home" I have set in the address book. I've tried ten different ways to create and save a Home location so the nav can find it, but no joy. It continues to tell me I have no "Home" set.

Tried it for the first time in my 2021 G80 today. Told it to "Go to Home" then got an error message. Then I tried just "Go Home" without the "to" and it said it was setting the destination to Home (I don't have that set to my real home address - set to a vacant lot nearby). This was rather irritating since when you press the Voice button, the first example is "Go to Work", with the "to". Sloppy programming.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Sloppy programming.
No a programming problem in my mind. Here is why:
Do you tell people you are going to work or
you are going work?
Do you tell people you are going to home or you are going home?
Seems to me that they programmed the correct syntax.

Kevin L

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Punta Gorda Isles, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
No a programming problem in my mind. Here is why:
Do you tell people you are going to work or
you are going work?
Do you tell people you are going to home or you are going home?
Seems to me that they programmed the correct syntax.

Perhaps, but why show the example "Go to Work" and not show "Go Home". Perhaps sloppy programming is the wrong term - let's use lazy programming. If I say "Go to Home", instead of responding "I'm sorry, I don't understand", why not respond "Did you mean 'Go Home'"?

I found the Voice system on my 2018 G80 so frustrating I stopped using it. Simple commands on the G80 VR would return incorrect responses, multiple responses, or simple I didn't understand. I can give the same commands on Android Auto and I instantly get what I'm looking for. So far, the 2021 G80 VR is improved, but still lacking. Besides the "Go Home" example, I can state "Tune to Fox Business on SiriusXM." The VR system returns a list to choose from 1. Fox Business or 2. Fox News Channel. Who's at fault here? I say the programmers. I asked for the exact name of the Sirius channel and VR needs clarification, even though the first choice is exactly what I asked. Why the confusion? If I ask Alexa or Google or my wife's 2021 Q5, it returns quickly and with the correct action. Who's to blame? I say Genesis is to blame.

Chad86tsi

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
the word "to" should be ignored all together, that way both commands work, and no commands are misinterpreted. This aspect is poor programming. these kinds of words (to, the, a, and similar) are ignored in most forms of search logic, such as google searches.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
the word "to" should be ignored all together, that way both commands work, and no commands are misinterpreted. This aspect is poor programming. these kinds of words (to, the, a, and similar) are ignored in most forms of search logic, such as google searches.
I wonder where the voice recognition comes from. In a similar vein, the navigation does not know typical abbreviations used for traffic. If your route needs you to turn right on Apple Dr. it will tell you to "turn right on Apple Doctor"

wheeling

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I wonder where the voice recognition comes from. In a similar vein, the navigation does not know typical abbreviations used for traffic. If your route needs you to turn right on Apple Dr. it will tell you to "turn right on Apple Doctor"
Never heard that one. The several navigation system I've used always say "Drive".

Kevin L

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Punta Gorda Isles, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

I haven't heard that one, either. Crazy if that's what happens.

As voice response becomes ubiquitous, improvements are needed. Genesis is the worst of my VR devices, but it's not alone in poor performance. I'm a real tech fan. Most of my home and some of my big boat is voice-controlled using Amazon Alexa. I have at least a dozen Alexa units in my home, and one of them can hear me from almost anywhere inside. Alexa give boneheaded response to my requests sometimes, but not as often as Genesis. For example, I use an elliptical in our home gym almost every day. To turn it on, I'll say, "Alexa, turn on elliptical" so it's booted up and ready for me. I do this nearly every day, I'm the only voice that ever asks that, and a couple of times Alexa's responded "I don't have anything named lip tickle"; another time it responded "I don't have anything named electrical." Granted, they sound similar and with ambient noise interfering, Alexa may have trouble hearing what I said. But this is what a call sloppy or lazy programming. I have dozens of devices on voice response - lights, fans, cameras, thermostat, water valves, water heater, door locks, plugs, etc., and not one of the other devices sound like elliptical. I'm the only one that asks to turn on the elliptical, I do it almost every day, usually about the same time, so they should be able to deduce I mean elliptical. I can understand not wanting to turn on a device if it's not certain it heard correctly, but at the very least it should respond with "Did you mean elliptical?"

Chad86tsi

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
keep in mind, software is only ever as good as the person that programmed it. Garbage in, garbage out. These are programming/design issues.

I work in a technical role at a major electrical utility. We have a lot of complex systems, some don't work well. A common expression we have when things don't perform to expectation is "well, it works as designed", meaning it's fault is not electrical or physical, it's a design/programming issue. That is the most common barrier to success with technology. You can't take the programmer out of the program.

Kevin L

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Punta Gorda Isles, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
keep in mind, software is only ever as good as the person that programmed it. Garbage in, garbage out. These are programming/design issues.

I work in a technical role at a major electrical utility. We have a lot of complex systems, some don't work well. A common expression we have when things don't perform to expectation is "well, it works as designed", meaning it's fault is not electrical or physical, it's a design/programming issue. That is the most common barrier to success with technology. You can't take the programmer out of the program.

My point exactly. Thanks for the post.

mitchrusso

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Tried it for the first time in my 2021 G80 today. Told it to "Go to Home" then got an error message. Then I tried just "Go Home" without the "to" and it said it was setting the destination to Home (I don't have that set to my real home address - set to a vacant lot nearby). This was rather irritating since when you press the Voice button, the first example is "Go to Work", with the "to". Sloppy programming.
I just picked mine up last Saturday and have been struggling with getting voice command to navigate to one of my saves favorites or names in my address book and no go. Navigate, Navigate to, Go to, Go... none work. I threatened to return the car if they can't get this to work, it's insane. Every car I've owned since 1996 does this flawlessly. What the F**K Genesis? really?

Kevin L

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Punta Gorda Isles, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I just picked mine up last Saturday and have been struggling with getting voice command to navigate to one of my saves favorites or names in my address book and no go. Navigate, Navigate to, Go to, Go... none work. I threatened to return the car if they can't get this to work, it's insane. Every car I've owned since 1996 does this flawlessly. What the F**K Genesis? really?

It's starting to seem like they didn't improve the voice response logic over my 18 G80. I hated it in my 18 and started using Android Auto that always worked great. As ridiculous as it sounds, but it looks like you need to give the command EXACTLY as Genesis expects it, otherwise no go. Since this is 2021 and voice response is commonplace and pretty much just works, Genesis needs to fix this!

Ernie3647

Been here awhile...
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Middletown NY
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
The "Go To" command seems to work fine for me as far as navigation. I used it when I first picked up the car to get home (a four hour trip) without being sure it would work and was quite surprised when it did. I do agree the Hyundai and Genesis cars I've owned though good cars never did respond well to voice commands which I also find useful. The car that best responded to voice commands and had a large vocabulary of response was my 2007 Infiniti G35x. Since then none of my Hyundai's or Genesis cars worked as well or even close. My 2011 Genesis worked reasonably well I was able to nick name an address book entry and just call it up saying "Navigate to" and the nick name of the entry. Sadly I lost that ability on my 2015 Genesis and my 2019 G70. I was please when the "Go To" command worked on the GV80.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums