February 2019 sales

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Genesis brand - 1,528

G70 - 819
G80 - 533
G90 - 176

Despite a dealer network still in flux, Genesis outsold Alfa (1,362) which has a CUV in its lineup.

Once all the dealerships are operational, w/ the facelifted G90, the GV80 and the new G80, think Genesis can surpass Jaguar in monthly sales (may not need the GV70 to do that).

Last edited:

PMCErnie

Registered Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Genesis brand - 1,528

G70 - 819
G80 - 533
G90 - 176

Despite a dealer network still in flux, Genesis outsold Alfa (1,362) which has a CUV in its lineup.

Once all the dealerships are operational, w/ the facelifted G90, the GV80 and the new G80, think Genesis can surpass Jaguar in monthly sales (may not need the GV70 to do that).
“Flux?”

PMCErnie

Registered Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Flux - state of change
No kiddin’.

In reality, though, the Genesis dealership situation is more closely akin to a similar sounding word.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Korea - 4,143 (down YoY, but has a pretty cushy lead over the #2 lux brand, MB - 3,611)

G70 - 1,310
G80 - 1,873
G90 - 960

Stinger - 292 (Stinger not doing well in relation to G70 sales in Korea)
K9 - 906

If Genesis can hit 1,500 in sales here (once the dealer roll-out is completed), that would make around 3k in monthly sales for the G70 in SK and NA (including Canada).

Of interest, the new Palisade CUV (5,769) was the 4th best selling vehicle in SK.

The Santa Fe was 2nd (7,023) behind the Grandeur (7,720).

Would not be surprised if the top trim of the Palisade took some potential G80 sales and even some potential G90 and K9 sales.

Bodes well for the GV80.

Lexus is starting to make some real inroads into the Korean market -1,283 (the increasing popularity of hybrids, replacing diesel as the powertrain of choice has helped.

Meanwhile, Cadillac at 144 (simply embarrassing).

Last edited:

PMCErnie

Registered Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Korea - 4,143 (down YoY, but has a pretty cushy lead over the #2 lux brand, MB - 3,611)

G70 - 1,310
G80 - 1,873
G90 - 960

Stinger - 292 (Stinger not doing well in relation to G70 sales in Korea)
K9 - 906

If Genesis can hit 1,500 in sales here (once the dealer roll-out is completed), that would make around 3k in monthly sales for the G70 in SK and NA (including Canada).

Of interest, the new Palisade CUV (5,769) was the 4th best selling vehicle in SK.

The Santa Fe was 2nd (7,023) behind the Grandeur (7,720).

Would not be surprised if the top trim of the Palisade took some potential G80 sales and even some potential G90 and K9 sales.

Bodes well for the GV80.

Lexus is starting to make some real inroads into the Korean market -1,283 (the increasing popularity of hybrids, replacing diesel as the powertrain of choice has helped.

Meanwhile, Cadillac at 144 (simply embarrassing).
The ‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate already took my biz away from Genesis. Genesis will have an SUV aaaassany day now.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
The ‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate already took my biz away from Genesis. Genesis will have an SUV aaaassany day now.
So, Hyundai already got your $$. lol

Btw, how is the SF treating the wife?

Anyhow, the GV80 (as well as the new G80) had to wait until the new RWD platform was ready (not to mention the new powertrain components).

The GV80 will launch this year in Korea and likely early next year here.

It's actually a good thing that the GV80 isn't launching til then, as the state of flux of the dealer network wouldn't be optimal for such an important launch.

Cadillac is getting absolutely killed on the net/auto blogs for its warmed over XT6, whereas Lincoln is getting praise for the Aviator.

You either do it right or don't bother.

PMCErnie

Registered Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
So, Hyundai already got your $$. lol

Btw, how is the SF treating the wife?

Anyhow, the GV80 (as well as the new G80) had to wait until the new RWD platform was ready (not to mention the new powertrain components).

The GV80 will launch this year in Korea and likely early next year here.

It's actually a good thing that the GV80 isn't launching til then, as the state of flux of the dealer network wouldn't be optimal for such an important launch.

Cadillac is getting absolutely killed on the net/auto blogs for its warmed over XT6, whereas Lincoln is getting praise for the Aviator.

You either do it right or don't bother.
Actually, my wife loves to drive our ‘12 Genesis which is still cherry and superb at 41,000 mi. Eventually it will go to our Son, or a Grandchild, just like our ‘14 Santa Fe did last fall.

Mostly I drive the ‘19 Santa Fe these days. Super vehicle and even the ISG (stop/start ignition) works great.

A Genesis 5 seat SUV could easily have debuted at the same time as the ‘19 Santa Fe. Both would have HTRAC, so the bunkum about RWD is really just blarney.

The Genesis flux is hurting them. Also, who wants to drive to another state, or a hundred miles plus for service?

Last edited:

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
The H-Trac in the FWD-based platforms is not the same as the H-Trac in the RWD platforms.

Plus, that doesn't solve the issue for those buyers who don't want to pay or carry the weight of an AWD system (those living in the sun belt), preventing a more performance-oriented drive for those opting for power to go to 1 axle.

Also, even w/ AWD, the FWD/transverse set-up doesn't allow for as much power/performance as the RWD/longitudinal set-up due to selection of engines and transmissions for each set-up.

Why do you think the RX is limited to an F-Sport trim (w/o any increase in power) which starts at $49k?

The BMW X5 M goes for over $100k - the 2 are not even in the same ballpark.

The top performance trim of the upcoming Lincoln Aviator can pass the $90k mark.

Don't recall ever seeing the RX including in a road/handling test w/ the X5, GLE and Q7.

Both the Aviator and GV80 will be included in such comparisons.

And as nice as the SF is in Ultimate trim, that doesn't leave much room for Genesis (if they had gone w/ FWD, they would have had to undercut the RX, but w/ RWD, they can price the GV80 higher than the RX, just as Lincoln had done w/ the Aviator), and even more so w/ the Palisade.

And again, w/ the dealership situation being what it is presently, the timing for the launch of the GV80 ended up working out (the launch of the GV80 would not be hampered like it has been for the G70).

Last edited:

bjjones

Registered Member
Genesis brand - 1,528

G70 - 819
G80 - 533
G90 - 176

Keep spinning those abysmal monthly Genesis sales numbers YEH. :LOL:

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

bjjones

Registered Member
I take it from your comment you know what their sales forecasts are and they are missing them. Can you fill us in so we can keep tabs of forecasted versus actual sales?
I don't have to be privy to Genesis future "sales forecasts" to know that their sales numbers are in the dumps NOW when compared to other luxury brands. :D

Also Genesis sales declined nearly 50 percent in 2018 compared to 2017.

And current 2019 Genesis G80 & G90 YTD sales have decreased from 2018.

2018 G80
January - 1243
February - 1086

2019 G80
January - 473
February - 533

2018 G90
January - 370
February - 277

2019 G90
January - 155
February - 176

And even though the new highly touted G70 will help the Genesis brand going forward, thus far, it's still not selling well against most of it's competitors in the small luxury segment.

USA Small Luxury Car Sales – February 2019

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - 4,812
BMW 4-Series - 2,685
BMW 3-Series - 2,379
Infiniti Q50 - 2,230
Acura TLX - 2,219
Audi A5 - 1,603
Audi A4 - 1,436
Lexus IS - 1,115
Volvo 60 Series - 1,058
Audi A3 - 823
Genesis G70 - 819
Jaguar XE - 777
Alfa Romeo Giulia - 646

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

bjjones

Registered Member
Your analysis makes no sense whatsoever.
I can see why your screen moniker is "TurtleBoy," because it's quite obvious that you're a little SLOW.

Saying they are in the dumps compared to other luxury brands is meaningless.
Too bad the automobile industry doesn't share your same idiotic mindset in regards to monthly/yearly sales data.

Without knowing what their expectations are for all we know they are very happy with how things are going.
Sorry, but I deal in FACTS, not presumptions. Therefore, I'll leave all the conjecture and what if's to simpletons like yourself.

You (Your:D) comparisons of current year activity with previous only shows your ignorance on the topic. They have completely redone their dealer network and it is not complete.
I'm quite aware of why Genesis vehicle sales are faltering (which I stated would happen many years ago on this very forum) & it's due to Hyundai's failed product planning & lackluster marketing efforts, along with trying to fast track a luxury brand on the cheap with no exclusive standalone Genesis dealerships.

bjjones

Registered Member
This is all true and everyone here that follow the various thread knows why.

Please explain your comment
"Keep spinning those abysmal monthly Genesis sales numbers YEH. :LOL: "

Where is the spin? What is YEH doing to twist the facts? Your comment has me baffled so I'd appreciate your explanation.
As a veteran member of this forum, I'm quite surprised that you're not aware of YEH's shtick of distorting any negative information on the Genesis brand in order to make it appear more optimistic than it truly is. :)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.