• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Genesis owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Feedback/Crackling using Apple CarPlay

NewGuy1005

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
Has anyone else noticed any slight feedback or crackling noises when using CarPlay? I know it is not my phone as I had used another iPhone and it happens as well. Does not happen when using bluetooth or any other input method. I've noticed it happens the most when the system is bogged down or laggy. Sometimes the system is very quick and snappy and then other times it is not, this is when I notice the feedback noises. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this and if a system reset would cure the issue? Going through all my settings will suck but worth it if it takes it away.

Taking any advice or ideas!

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

John Baxter

Getting familiar with the group...
No, all good here: Iphone 8 and 11 operate without issue.

NewGuy1005

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
I did a system reset which sucked because I then had to configure my settings over again. BUT, that seemed to do the trick. Also, I noticed that if you have you driver profile unlocked so it doesn't require the fingerprint or password every time you start the car, then the system remains quick and does not lag. Just a heads up if you start to notice crackling or lag.

Defiant888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
I find that I don't even use Apple Carplay or Android Auto given the tech the vehicle already comes with. Can someone tell me the pros of either over just using bluetooth? I know Waze is nice and all, but I found the Nav system for the GV70 to be quite fantastic, especially given that it's full screen. Maybe it's bc I have all my music on a usb drive instead of on my phone that I don't see too much of a benefit?

NewGuy1005

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
I find that I don't even use Apple Carplay or Android Auto given the tech the vehicle already comes with. Can someone tell me the pros of either over just using bluetooth? I know Waze is nice and all, but I found the Nav system for the GV70 to be quite fantastic, especially given that it's full screen. Maybe it's bc I have all my music on a usb drive instead of on my phone that I don't see too much of a benefit?
It really comes down to sound quality. Bluetooth is one of the worst transmission channels for music. It does not allow the max data transfer and so the music, while still sounds good, is not at its full potential. Hard wiring by using a usb cable and using CarPlay is the only way to get the highest bitrate music played through the system. Plus, its just nice being able to make calls, use apple maps or waze, text through voice, etc. all while your phone is charged up. There is also zero lag when you play/pause or skip tracks like there is with bluetooth.

mythdoc

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
It really comes down to sound quality. Bluetooth is one of the worst transmission channels for music. It does not allow the max data transfer and so the music, while still sounds good, is not at its full potential. Hard wiring by using a usb cable and using CarPlay is the only way to get the highest bitrate music played through the system. Plus, its just nice being able to make calls, use apple maps or waze, text through voice, etc. all while your phone is charged up. There is also zero lag when you play/pause or skip tracks like there is with bluetooth.
Yes, but poster pointed out their music is on usb, so no problem with sound quality.

Technology changes very fast. In-car technology has had a difficult time keeping up with what our phones can do. In three years, if you still have the vehicle, you may notice a deficit in capabilities of the car’s telematics vs. what your phone is able to do. That is why the car’s ability to get out of the way and let your phone take over functions is more and more important nowadays.

NewGuy1005

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
UPDATE: After a reset of the infotainment on the GV70, I thought the crackling sound stopped but I wasn't playing the right songs to hear it. I was playing "noisy" songs that masked it. Read countless Apple forums and support tickets and found that I am not the only one experiencing this with Apple CarPlay. Apparently, there is a bug/glitch in the current iOS software when location tracking turns on from apps that constantly track you, it causes a feedback sound when playing music. I checked my settings and I had an insurance app that was "always" tracking and not "when using the app". Sure enough, as soon as I went through and fixed location tracking settings, the feedback/crackling noises went away. So for anyone that may experience this, it's not the GV70 infotainment, it's an issue with the current iOS.

NewGuy1005

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
2nd UPDATE: crackling is back. I'm worried it may be something with the usb port or the infotainment now. I used apple CarPlay in my wife's vehicle with absolutely no issues, crystal clear. I have used multiple usb ports, I have tried restarting my iPhone, I have used other iPhones, I have used multiple music apps, I have tried to go down the list of possible causes. Everything comes back to the infotainment. Does anyone know what would be the next step? I wonder if there are any firmware updates for the GV70.

G-458769

Did anything resolve it for you? I'm having the same issue.