Filthy Stuff

PMCErnie

Registered Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Holy Crap! Exhaust pipes emit combustion chamber soot & smoke?
Every car I ever had has had filthy stuff on the tail pipes.
What would we do without the wags? Ive owned abt 30 cars. I'm talking about mucho carbon in just 1,500 miles.

Jimmmmbo!

Been here awhile...
Twin Cities, MN
I honestly haven't tried, but does the soot wash off fairly easily, especially if you haven't done it before? I've got 4K on my 2012 and hate how awful it looks. Would I need more than soap and water, like some kind of special chrome cleaner?

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I honestly haven't tried, but does the soot wash off fairly easily, especially if you haven't done it before? I've got 4K on my 2012 and hate how awful it looks. Would I need more than soap and water, like some kind of special chrome cleaner?
I use Formula 409 and some paper towels. Anything similar should work OK.

yellow3.8track

Been here awhile...
I'll try the 409 as my 2011 Coupe looks the same.

My dad would have said, "hey, looks like your car engine is running a little rich. You need to adjust the carb." He said it back in 1976 when I got my new Pontiac. My Nova didn't do that and neither did his trucks or cars.

He said the residue left on the tailpipe at the outlet should be light, almost white in color if the air fuel mixture was correct for most of the time the engine spent running.

I've never noticed it on my 86 IROC (does not have chrome tips on the pipes) or my son's 91 RS (has shiney stainless steel tips on the tail pipes. Both of these exit under the rear bumber and airflow in/around the area if probably different.

QuantumRift

Been here awhile...
Central OH
Yes. The last four cars we have owned have had black soot at the end of the tail pipes. With the 2012 Genny, it's not as easy to see with the recesses in the rear bumper, but it's still there.
Oh yea it's easy to see. WE have teh same problem on ours. The white bumper around the metal tailpipes are sooty.

QuantumRift

Been here awhile...
Central OH
With my black bumper and almost-always-dirty-in-the-winter-dirty black car, it's not nearly so obvious. But white? :eek:
Yep. I will never EVER have another black car out here in SE Arizona. Never. I traded an otherwise wonderful (BLACK) '06 Sonata for our white prem/tech pkg Genny.

We opted for the pearl white because they don't make a Genesis that is painted as the same color as the dirt and dust out here.

Plus, BLACK cars just don't cut it out here as far as the heat is concerned. :mad:

GSU08

Hasn't posted much yet...
at least you didn't have a white vette with long tube headers and no cats. :pDear god, heaven forbid the tailpipes got dirty. haha

Blackwme

Hasn't posted much yet...
on my 2012 black It is not as bad due to the placement of the exhaust pipes being integrated into the bumper. normal washing should keep it under control. Many may not know this until they try it but using 0000 steel wool with soap and water will make them look brand new again..you can buy it at Lowes or local hardware store but be sure to get the 0000, it is very fine and will not scratch the metal. I also used it on my chrome wheels to remove brake dust and water spots and has never scratched. hope this helps

Southern Boy

Registered Member
I had the same problem with the exhaust tips getting carbon build up. Bought a product from "Eagle One " called "Never Dull". Can be found in just about any Auto store, in fact I think Wal-mart carries it.

My son is in the Navy and when I told him how well it worked on exhaust tips he said the Navy uses something like it to clean the brass on ships.

Tried it on Moma's sliver and wa-la works great.;)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.