Finally got to test drive a G70!

HyperM3

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
After what seemed like forever thinking about this car, I finally went this weekend to my local dealer to test drive one. The inspiration to get off my butt is that my current A4 lease is up in September. I need to make a decision quickly.

I went to Freehold Hyundai/Genesis in NJ. I know someone that works at this dealership but it seems they have been moved to a different brand up the street. Regardless, they said they would take care of me on pricing anyway. I mentioned I had Circle pricing as well as someone with corporate pricing if the circle fails. To be transparent, the reason I went there is the Audi dealership is right up the road and I was heading there too to get an idea of replacing my current car. I went there first and drove the S4 as it was, to me, a direct competitor to the G70.

I had seen on their website a white/black sport 3.3 I wanted to take out. Unfortunately, they couldnt find it in their system. All they had were design editions or advanced or whatever. I really wanted to try one with the 5 spoke sport wheels. Also on a side note, the guy I was dealing with was nice enough, but didnt act enthused about the cars.

We take a drive to their second lot where Im shown the green design edition. Its nice enough and I get inside. The light tan interior is classy on the green but there were smudges all over the place. The door handle had all these black marks from dirty hands or whatever. A major reason I will never get a light interior. But a little more disappointed in the care these cars are given being that this one was brand new.

Getting into the car, it felt a little lower than the S4. However, the seats were instantly more comfortable. They were soft and yet snuggled my sides. I really liked the infinite adjustability of them. Although, I felt like there was a setting for the thigh support to move in and out(felt and looked like it was out farther than normal) and I just couldnt find it in the system. I really liked the seating height. The center console was comfortable and up high, the HVAC and other controls were all within a nice reach. Feel and materials were all top notch. Also, I really liked the design of the hood when I was looking out over it, the car looked and felt wider than the S4.

I put the drive mode in Sport before I set off because thats pretty much how I would always be driving it. Throttle response was pretty good right off the bat. I was given a nice test route and I flogged it a little bit when I could. The power was very impressive and actually felt slightly quicker than the S4 from seat of the pants. I had no qualms with the transmission, I felt it shifted more than fast enough. The AWD system was fantastic and I really liked how playful the rear end could be. I got it to step out a couple times on some 90 degree bends and it kicked back into place easily. I apologized to the salesman sitting next to me and he said not at all, he appreciated when someone drives a car the way its supposed to be driven. Granted, he admitted hes a BMW guy and drives the same way.

Back at the dealership is where things got a little stale for me. As I mentioned, my current lease is up in September. They said they couldnt pull me out early and I would have to wait until Sept to look for a car. I also couldnt build a car, so I would have to choose something thats on the ground. I didnt want to be subject to only having current inventory to choose from when I only had a small window to get a new car at that point in time. They also said they couldnt give me any pricing because the rates would change by then. I completely understood that but I wanted an idea of where I would be. They also said they coudnt give me an idea because I would have either circle or corp pricing and discounts. I said, great, give me an idea regardless. The numbers they gave me were basically in line with where Audi was on the S4. Audi has crazy deals on the A4/S4 right now because the new model is dropping soon and they want to clear out inventory.

So, unfortunately, with the unknown being too great with Genesis regarding pricing and actual availability for a car, I have to go with Audi again and the S4. If I had more transparency with pricing and the guarantee I would get the exact car I want in Sept, I would have probably waited. The car was fantastic and everything I expected it to be. I feel you get all and more than the S4 for 10k less(if buying, might be closer if leasing). Im jealous of everyone who is driving one and will probably look at it again when my next lease is up.

On a positive note, I have convinced my best friend to give the G70 a shot after my glowing review of it!

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
After what seemed like forever thinking about this car, I finally went this weekend to my local dealer to test drive one. The inspiration to get off my butt is that my current A4 lease is up in September. I need to make a decision quickly.

I went to Freehold Hyundai/Genesis in NJ. I know someone that works at this dealership but it seems they have been moved to a different brand up the street. Regardless, they said they would take care of me on pricing anyway. I mentioned I had Circle pricing as well as someone with corporate pricing if the circle fails. To be transparent, the reason I went there is the Audi dealership is right up the road and I was heading there too to get an idea of replacing my current car. I went there first and drove the S4 as it was, to me, a direct competitor to the G70.

I had seen on their website a white/black sport 3.3 I wanted to take out. Unfortunately, they couldnt find it in their system. All they had were design editions or advanced or whatever. I really wanted to try one with the 5 spoke sport wheels. Also on a side note, the guy I was dealing with was nice enough, but didnt act enthused about the cars.

We take a drive to their second lot where Im shown the green design edition. Its nice enough and I get inside. The light tan interior is classy on the green but there were smudges all over the place. The door handle had all these black marks from dirty hands or whatever. A major reason I will never get a light interior. But a little more disappointed in the care these cars are given being that this one was brand new.

Getting into the car, it felt a little lower than the S4. However, the seats were instantly more comfortable. They were soft and yet snuggled my sides. I really liked the infinite adjustability of them. Although, I felt like there was a setting for the thigh support to move in and out(felt and looked like it was out farther than normal) and I just couldnt find it in the system. I really liked the seating height. The center console was comfortable and up high, the HVAC and other controls were all within a nice reach. Feel and materials were all top notch. Also, I really liked the design of the hood when I was looking out over it, the car looked and felt wider than the S4.

I put the drive mode in Sport before I set off because thats pretty much how I would always be driving it. Throttle response was pretty good right off the bat. I was given a nice test route and I flogged it a little bit when I could. The power was very impressive and actually felt slightly quicker than the S4 from seat of the pants. I had no qualms with the transmission, I felt it shifted more than fast enough. The AWD system was fantastic and I really liked how playful the rear end could be. I got it to step out a couple times on some 90 degree bends and it kicked back into place easily. I apologized to the salesman sitting next to me and he said not at all, he appreciated when someone drives a car the way its supposed to be driven. Granted, he admitted hes a BMW guy and drives the same way.

Back at the dealership is where things got a little stale for me. As I mentioned, my current lease is up in September. They said they couldnt pull me out early and I would have to wait until Sept to look for a car. I also couldnt build a car, so I would have to choose something thats on the ground. I didnt want to be subject to only having current inventory to choose from when I only had a small window to get a new car at that point in time. They also said they couldnt give me any pricing because the rates would change by then. I completely understood that but I wanted an idea of where I would be. They also said they coudnt give me an idea because I would have either circle or corp pricing and discounts. I said, great, give me an idea regardless. The numbers they gave me were basically in line with where Audi was on the S4. Audi has crazy deals on the A4/S4 right now because the new model is dropping soon and they want to clear out inventory.

So, unfortunately, with the unknown being too great with Genesis regarding pricing and actual availability for a car, I have to go with Audi again and the S4. If I had more transparency with pricing and the guarantee I would get the exact car I want in Sept, I would have probably waited. The car was fantastic and everything I expected it to be. I feel you get all and more than the S4 for 10k less(if buying, might be closer if leasing). Im jealous of everyone who is driving one and will probably look at it again when my next lease is up.

On a positive note, I have convinced my best friend to give the G70 a shot after my glowing review of it!

Thanks for your review!

Personally, I really think that our inability to custom build/special order a G70 the way we want it is a HUGE oversight by Genesis USA. Canada can do it and get it shipped straight from Korea - why can't we??? Not everyone is as excited as me to fly out of state just to buy the exact color/trim/optioned car they want.. 😬

broervudu

Registered Member
SF Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I bet new members appreciate the write-up as these posts can tend to get buried and hard to find. Here's my experience trying to get the manual, short story is I didn't get one due to inventory issues (4 manuals in a 300+ miles radius of me and nothing changed 4 weeks later last time I checked). So, I understand why didn't want to wait, even though they couldn't give you hard pricing for the car in the future (Sept) if anything it's going to trend down in my opinion and not up. Do a search for the user 'r_spec" and you will see he is being quite generous and offering circle A pricing for the G70, that alone is deal changer and allowed/made it easier for me to step into 3.3 instead. Otherwise, like you I may have gone a different route.

HyperM3

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Do a search for the user 'r_spec" and you will see he is being quite generous and offering circle A pricing for the G70, that alone is deal changer and allowed/made it easier for me to step into 3.3 instead. Otherwise, like you I may have gone a different route.
Yeah, hes the one I had already been in touch with to get the Circle Pricing. The dealer was on board with my ability to get Circle pricing or even corporate pricing. But they did not seem competitive when it came to "figurative" numbers. If they were at least a hundred less a month I probably would have taken a chance and waited.

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yeah, hes the one I had already been in touch with to get the Circle Pricing. The dealer was on board with my ability to get Circle pricing or even corporate pricing. But they did not seem competitive when it came to "figurative" numbers. If they were at least a hundred less a month I probably would have taken a chance and waited.
It might be worth talking to a few other dealers. It seems some of them are able to figure things out better than others. I still think Genesis US is trying to get its act together.
It may just be me, but currently there seems to be a lot of cars available. I think, though, because this is the first year of the G70 that it is very new to dealers and they are still sorting thru/figuring it out--but nervous about making promises because this is the first time they have been thru any it.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
It might be worth talking to a few other dealers. It seems some of them are able to figure things out better than others. I still think Genesis US is trying to get its act together.
It may just be me, but currently there seems to be a lot of cars available. I think, though, because this is the first year of the G70 that it is very new to dealers and they are still sorting thru/figuring it out--but nervous about making promises because this is the first time they have been thru any it.
Probably the US system of dealers and distribution gets in the way. Would be nice though.

tarhoosier

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I follow one local dealer and his inventory has been at 16 for at least two months and just recently went to 17*. The car I might be interested in, come August, has been on his lot for 82 days, according to cargurus.
*(if Genesis.com inventory can be trusted)

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Go to another dealer. There’s tons of cars out there.

HyperM3

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
What’s your exact spec?
I still can't get the configurator working on any computer, but I want the Mallorca blue with black interior grey or red stitching. Sport package awd 3.3. not sure what other options there are.

BigTree

Registered Member
Socal
The low residuals offered by HMFUSA are resulting in the cars being relatively costly to lease. The money factors are near zero, but doesn't come close to making up for residual values of 50% for 2.0 and 53% for 3.3t on 36 month/10k miles leases. By contrast, Volvo's residual on S60 T6 AWD Inscription or R-Design is 59% (60% on 7,500 mile lease which Genesis doesn't offer). Different cars to be sure, but just a data point. I ended up with the loaded S60 T6 Inscription for 3 years ($53k MSRP)at a payment that is $125 lower than the best offer I could wrangle out of any Genesis dealer using Circle A cert (thanks r_spec!) and other discounts (loyalty etc) on a Design with a $49,800 MSRP.

HyperM3

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I just did a quick search on the East Coast...just a few places...and already found 5...

All of these are MB 3.3T Sport AWD...just the different stitching...
Good looking out! You really want to see me in a G70 lol.

The low residuals offered by HMFUSA are resulting in the cars being relatively costly to lease. The money factors are near zero, but doesn't come close to making up for residual values of 50% for 2.0 and 53% for 3.3t on 36 month/10k miles leases. By contrast, Volvo's residual on S60 T6 AWD Inscription or R-Design is 59% (60% on 7,500 mile lease which Genesis doesn't offer). Different cars to be sure, but just a data point. I ended up with the loaded S60 T6 Inscription for 3 years ($53k MSRP)at a payment that is $125 lower than the best offer I could wrangle out of any Genesis dealer using Circle A cert (thanks r_spec!) and other discounts (loyalty etc) on a Design with a $49,800 MSRP.
Sending a PM!

HyperM3

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I forgot to mention....even though it was a glowing review, there was one thing I was really disappointed with. The paint quality on the rear of the trunk(around license plate area) was some of the worst orange peal I had ever seen. To the point that I asked if it had been damaged and resprayed.

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yeah, try a different dealership. I drove 2.5 hours to get the car I wanted and the dealership was great. My local dealership didnt have what I wanted but said i could order one with a $500 deposit. It would take 6 to 8 weeks to get. Regardless I found the one I wanted, but I had to travel for it.

I've also noticed that a few dealerships just dont like the cars. They treat them like a low rent, red headed step child Hyundai or something. I guess they dont think they are profitable to them because they arent a bulk seller like a Santa Fe or something. One dealership even admitted to me that they were upset that Genesis had the gall to require them to invest big bucks into a stand alone facility and then said, "...yeah, they can tell us that all they want, but it ain't gonna happen..." we have no plans in complying with that.

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
They were not being accurate, there is no requirement to build a stand alone facility. That was dropped last summer due to legal issues.
Still, it goes to show that some dealers couldn't care less about their product, and are only interested in their bottom line. It's unfortunate for us, the consumer. Best avoid those types.

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Interestingly, the finance guy at my dealership said that local Hyundai dealers had a choice to either adopt the franchise or to take a buy-out from corporate. The owner of my dealership saw which ones were taking the buyout and decided to stick with the franchise. Apparently, some dealers were only moving a few Genesis cars a month but still got $1MM-plus buyouts.