First Dent(s)

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
well, it happened. i now have a G70 with blemishes. took ~6 months, but some a-hole managed to find my rear driver-side door not once but twice. pretty sure i know when and where this happened. i always look for an end spot away from others - i'm that guy. i came back to my car on friday and there was a car that was parked on a skewed angle and way too close to my car. of course. i crowd the outside of the end spot, and this d-bag was on the line between our spots - but since he was on an angle his rear passenger door was close to my rear driver side door (we both pulled in same direction).

it was dark-ish so i tried to check for damage right then and there. i thought i could see a dent but i wasn't sure. i always do a dent check whenever morons crowd me so i have a pretty good sense of when and where things could have happened. of course, if multiple cars come and go that's a wild card. however i really don't park in parking lots very frequently so overall exposure is limited.

on Saturday i went out, washed off the area, and noticed one obvious dent and one subtle dent within a couple inches of each other. both dents had the same pattern and colour transfer. haven't thought how i got two dents if it was one car though. luckily no serious scratch or paint cracking - just dents and scuff marks.

looks like i'll be calling up the trusty dent removal guy when Spring comes, followed by paint correction to remove the scuffs. i just can't imagine damaging someone else's car and not owning up to it. with dents like these the person would have known that they did something wrong. i suppose a kid could have opened the door and not fessed up to mom/dad.

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I, too, am that person. I justify parking away from everyone for multiple reasons: walking is a good thing; parking away from makes it easier to spot (not lose) the car; other car owners will never care about your car as much as you do; and yes, the family gripes. :)

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I feel for you. It is always worse when it is the first too. At least door dings are a fairly easy/cheap fix nowadays. Still a pain.

I had my first blemish as well recently. But I have no one to blame but myself. I was shoveling snow and a delivery came to the house. I leaned my shovel against the front of the garage right by the open door. Took the package and while I was walking up to the garage, a gust of wind blew the shovel and it fell against the car. Have about a 3 inch scratch in the rear bumper. But it is light and I am assuming a spring polish/was will take car of it but it still sucks.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
it always slays me when i park away from everyone else, only to return to find some chucklehead who's snugged up tight to my ride...when there's ample parking closer to the destination. not sure what else a guy is supposed to do...you do have to drive and park places after all.

i've printed off a bunch of 'teaching aid' notes and keep them in my car. anytime i find someone crowding me or parked haywire next to me i'll leave them a copy as a learning experience. the least it can do is simmer down my irritation.

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ that's quite kind. I usually piss in their gas tank...spit a nice greener on their drivers side window...and bend their wiper blades.

Joking of course.

jimmy buoy

Getting familiar with the group...
Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I've had it happen twice with previous cars right in front of me. Both times the perps tried to deny causing the damage, but acknowledged it was them after showing them by opening their door how it lines up to the damage to mine. It's beyond me how someone can use their foot on a windy day to push their car door wide open into the car next to them and still be ticked at me for calling them on it - idiots... Both times I was parked on the "end spot". Both times they crowded the line.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Speaking of doors...I hate how light the G70 doors are. They swing wide open ever so easily!

Toddasaurus

Registered Member
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I mostly just try and find other nice cars to park beside provided the parking spaces are wide. My wife is totally good with walking and understands why I do it.
I thought I read somewhere that parking alongside another really nice car is actually the best you can do to avoid other cars parking like assholes around you. Not sure if there is any validity to it, but doesn't seem like a bad idea to me.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
my wife also understands my penchant for distancing our vehicles from others. she witnessed first hand some Cro-Magnon bashing his door into her new car a few years back when she parked near the front door of a mall, after years of me saying it was best to avoid that. now she's on board.

J Dixon

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I always try to park as far away (and as uphill) as possible. Shopping carts (aka buggies) don't roll uphill for long!

A grass buffer strip on one side is also something I look for.

And always back in....always.

50jae

Hasn't posted much yet...
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I thought I read somewhere that parking alongside another really nice car is actually the best you can do to avoid other cars parking like assholes around you. Not sure if there is any validity to it, but doesn't seem like a bad idea to me.
I follow this rule and have been lucky with having no dents so far, knock on wood. I also park away from other cars if possible foremost.

Worst cars to park next to are huge trucks and minivans full of kids. I avoid them like a plague.

Falldog

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I knew when I saw this thread that i was gonna have to post eventually. Just picked up the car from the dealer got home, and noticed a nice ding and scratch, down to at least the primer, on top of the hood. Fun!

Toddasaurus

Registered Member
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I knew when I saw this thread that i was gonna have to post eventually. Just picked up the car from the dealer got home, and noticed a nice ding and scratch, down to at least the primer, on top of the hood. Fun!
I feel your pain. The dealer told me the transport truck noticed a paint scratch/chip on the edge where the hood and bumper meet. Until I get the car and send them a photo I am not sure what the dealership will do to help me with it.

Any idea how yours happened?

Falldog

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I feel your pain. The dealer told me the transport truck noticed a paint scratch/chip on the edge where the hood and bumper meet. Until I get the car and send them a photo I am not sure what the dealership will do to help me with it.

Any idea how yours happened?
No idea. I heard a bit hit on the sunroof, was worried it might have chipped, but that looks okay. Didn't notice the one on the top of the hood until later, that could've been during the drive home, during the test drive, or the 85 miles that took place prior to me taking the keys.

I'm surprisingly not upset about it. Had to happen sometime. At least it's not overly noticeable. I my sales guy is getting me a paint pen so I can fill it in ever so slightly.

Toddasaurus

Registered Member
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Took a picture of the scratch/blemish on my car's paint. It's actually really tiny and barely noticeable, even so I sent these pictures to my dealer. Hoping they'll help me out with it somehow.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.