• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

FIRST DRIVE: Genesis GV80 - How does Genesis GV80 Drives? Can it be better than Genesis G90?

CharlieMin

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Let’s go for the FIRST DRIVE with GENESIS GV80. Did you guys enjoy our 1st live streaming that showed the design of Genesis GV80? Now during this 2nd live session, we will show you how this Genesis GV80, the 1st SUV from Genesis actually drives on the road. Can it drive better than Genesis G90? It’s our 1st time, too. So, let’s get out there and show you how this new SUV from Genesis feels like on the road.

Abdullah0637

Registered Member
Thank you so much to you and your team Charlie! I was watching your livestream from the beginning! you really did a great job guys keep it up!

leggy

Been here awhile...
SoCal
Hi Charlie, thank you for the review. Compared to other SUVs that you have reviewed, who you would say have more quite cabin and comfortable ride than the GV80?

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
More info...

Sal Collaziano

Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Palm Beach, Florida
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Also very curious to know what the verdict was regarding interior quietness and ride softness. In a luxury vehicle, I prefer a quiet interior and a soft ride. At this very moment, the GV80 is at the top of my list for next vehicle. In any event, I'd love to watch the video - but cannot find an hour to do so...

leggy

Been here awhile...
SoCal
Also very curious to know what the verdict was regarding interior quietness and ride softness. In a luxury vehicle, I prefer a quiet interior and a soft ride. At this very moment, the GV80 is at the top of my list for next vehicle. In any event, I'd love to watch the video - but cannot find an hour to do so...
Here is what CNET's reviewer said:
". The ride is quite smooth and well isolated, though those gigantic 22-inch wheels do it no favors. Impact harshness from surface irregularities is a bit starchier than I originally expected. North American models should be noticeably firmer than Korean-spec versions, too.

Underway, the GV80's cabin is nice and quiet, but it doesn't seem any more hushed than competing vehicles. I expected Hyundai's latest and greatest active noise-cancellation system to work miracles, though it did not. Perhaps Korea's low speed limits and bowling lane-smooth roads didn't provide the GV80 with enough of a challenge. I can't wait to test this vehicle back home in Detroit where the highways have more craters than the surface of the moon."

Sal Collaziano

Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Palm Beach, Florida
Genesis Model Type
Here is what CNET's reviewer said:
". The ride is quite smooth and well isolated, though those gigantic 22-inch wheels do it no favors. Impact harshness from surface irregularities is a bit starchier than I originally expected. North American models should be noticeably firmer than Korean-spec versions, too.

Underway, the GV80's cabin is nice and quiet, but it doesn't seem any more hushed than competing vehicles. I expected Hyundai's latest and greatest active noise-cancellation system to work miracles, though it did not. Perhaps Korea's low speed limits and bowling lane-smooth roads didn't provide the GV80 with enough of a challenge. I can't wait to test this vehicle back home in Detroit where the highways have more craters than the surface of the moon."
Thank you. HARD PASS. That has ABSOLUTELY F'ING ZERO what I want in a luxury SUV. ZERO. ZERO.

Sal Collaziano

Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Palm Beach, Florida
Genesis Model Type
Maybe we should have a quick phone call if you don't understand where I'm coming from. Let me know because I'm available now.

"Impact harshness from surface irregularities is a bit starchier than I originally expected. North American models should be noticeably firmer than Korean-spec versions, too."

"I expected Hyundai's latest and greatest active noise-cancellation system to work miracles, though it did not. Perhaps Korea's low speed limits and bowling lane-smooth roads didn't provide the GV80 with enough of a challenge. I can't wait to test this vehicle back home in Detroit where the highways have more craters than the surface of the moon."

I don't give two shits about an SUV that handles well. It seems Genesis has tuned North American vehicles according to automotive media wants and desires. I'm tired of hearing about how the South Korean models have a softer ride. A soft ride and quiet interior is paramount for a luxury SUV, in my opinion.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

elsid88

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So far impressed with what I have seen. Before I bought my G70 I read and watched and read and watched many upon many reviews. One review does not sway me one way or another as well as the manufacturer telling me they solved it all and thought of everything. Always somewhere in the middle and depending on how well or poor they did, it lands a bit north or south of that middle.

Finally, it is just a car.

Sal Collaziano

Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Palm Beach, Florida
Genesis Model Type
^ it’s one person’s opinion. Other reviewers praised it to heck.

I can PM you with my number if you wish.
Good talkin' to ya. I hope you're right and the CNet reviewer is wrong. I'm putting all my eggs in one basket with the GV80. I want it. I hope Genesis doesn't disappoint me...

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Good talkin' to ya. I hope you're right and the CNet reviewer is wrong. I'm putting all my eggs in one basket with the GV80. I want it. I hope Genesis doesn't disappoint me...
Yes...great chat!!!! Let that review go wayside. Plenty others that feel otherwise.

From all I’ve read and seen...this thing will be plush. Sport mode will be accentuated in the USA b/c of the shit S.Korean roads.

This thing is all about “plush”.

Here’s hoping!!

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Thank you. HARD PASS. That has ABSOLUTELY F'ING ZERO what I want in a luxury SUV. ZERO. ZERO.
Sal, better to wait until reviewers here get their hands on the USDM GV80.

But the Aussie reviewers seem to have quite a diff. take than CNET for the KDM version.

The suspension is strange, if in no negative way. The SUV wafts over undulations with a lot of compression movement, yet the damping settles the body very quickly. So much so that when you stick it hard into a corner – or, in this case, any one of Seoul’s many circular highway junctions – you expect excessive body lean and lack of body control. Yet the GV80 sits impressively flat and remains reassuringly neutral and composed. If there’s any markdown in the handling department, it’s that the steering feels a little aloof and the brake pedal is a touch spongy.

The GV80’s chassis has been well tuned to suit the 22s that were bolted to our car and while the ride was predominantly on the soft side, body control was excellent and settled fast after large road imperfections. This is a machine that would devour many miles of road tripping with total ease.

With our driving confined to public roads, there was little chance to assess the GV80 for dynamics, but the steering was about the right weight and the electronically controlled suspension was quite composed over bumps and expansion joints.

Sal Collaziano

Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Palm Beach, Florida
Genesis Model Type
Sal, better to wait until reviewers here get their hands on the USDM GV80.

But the Aussie reviewers seem to have quite a diff. take than CNET for the KDM version.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]
I'm concerned that they're going to stiffen the suspension for the U.S. model. Kia did it with the K900. They should leave the softest setting available to those of us who want a Lexus or Mercedes-like ride. I have no interest in my next vehicle feeling sporty in any way.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums