• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Genesis owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

First experience trying to get service

Foodiest

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So here is my first experience trying to get service here in in Socal.

Booked an appointment for first oil change and have my screen looked for separation of screen issue at at a new (for Genesis) dealership here in Socal

They took my info for a three week out appointment. Never got an email to confirm so called back to check and this what got verified.
My car is a 2017 G70!? Even though they asked for my VIN.
They didn't get my email correct, so when I tried to get them to change they basically sounded annoyed, took info, said they'll correct and hung up on me.

Does this sound about right for the Genesis experience?

007IOU

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Well, yes that sounds about right from my first experience. However, I decided to try a different dealership than my selling dealer and what a difference! Second dealership service department was excellent and I'm very happy and relieved that there is good service out there from (some) Genesis dealers. One just has to be willing to not give up. Good luck!

Mikey91

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I also had my first service a couple weeks ago, also disappointed. Surely I didn't experience the luxury services that Genesis promised as part of their selling experience.

Foodiest

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Ya was afraid of that. Will give this one a try just to see how the actual service goes and evaluate. Maybe next service will switch.

Mikey91

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Ya was afraid of that. Will give this one a try just to see how the actual service goes and evaluate. Maybe next service will switch.
Cool, let us know. I might also switch to a different place in my area, I was not happy that I didn't get full synthetic for my oil change.

G70_(0.o)..l..

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Cool, let us know. I might also switch to a different place in my area, I was not happy that I didn't get full synthetic for my oil change.
Called my local towns dealership for first oil change on record for the car. I opened up with "does this location offer valet" the guy said they do but it's a hassle..sending two guys over to my house one to drive there and the other to bring the car to dealership and have work done. And that they do but it takes time and that they are 2 weeks behind on service, asked me if I was able to drop the car off or wait

I said. Na I was under the impression that I would receive valet service for 3 years. And that I would call back and try to schedule something when the guy was in a better mood. So he gasped and said have a nice day hanged up
I might try a different dealership since there's 4 within 30min drive.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Called my local towns dealership for first oil change on record for the car. I opened up with "does this location offer valet" the guy said they do but it's a hassle..sending two guys over to my house one to drive there and the other to bring the car to dealership and have work done. And that they do but it takes time and that they are 2 weeks behind on service, asked me if I was able to drop the car off or wait

I said. Na I was under the impression that I would receive valet service for 3 years. And that I would call back and try to schedule something when the guy was in a better mood. So he gasped and said have a nice day hanged up
Why didn’t you just call him on it and schedule for two (or more) weeks out ?

G70_(0.o)..l..

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Why didn’t you just call him on it and schedule for two (or more) weeks out ?
While on the call even though the guy may have been over worked and short staffed. My son(2yrs) also wanted something to eat. Cut the call short

Mikey91

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

So much for the luxury service! I love the car to death but yeah I'm not happy with the false promises, at the very least be upfront about it or respectful, no need to beat around the bushes.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
So much for the luxury service! I love the car to death but yeah I'm not happy with the false promises, at the very least be upfront about it or respectful, no need to beat around the bushes.
Varies with dealer. Some have been great, others, not so much. It has been a hassle with Covid related problems too. Not enough cars, not enough drivers.

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
From WSJ:
Dealerships laid off thousands of salespeople at the start of the pandemic. While some have been rehired, about 70,000 people who worked at new-car dealerships have been permanently let go.

csu87

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

every dealership is backed up on service. 2 weeks isnt a bad wait right now.

but seems being a dick to them is working well so id go with that approach

ProsperDad

Registered Member
Prosper, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Settle in...this one is a little lengthy...

I've had my G70 for 6 months now. I was 'sold' on the luxury car service experience and how it was better than what the local Acura (was trading in a TLX) dealer provided. My wife's car is an Infiniti for reference.

Whenever my Acura had to go in for service (maintenance or otherwise), I'd call about a day or 2 prior, drop off the car and leave in a loaner...every time...even during COVID! Our Infiniti dealer (Sewell in Dallas) is on a whole other level and are customer experience focused above all else. This is what I'm used to and what I expected and I made that clear to the Genesis dealer.

Fast forward to last week, when my car notified me that it is time for service (8,000 miles). I also have a small warranty item. I went into my app and tried to schedule with my dealer and couldn't find a valet appointment...I went out as far as February 1 and nothing. I called the dealer and was told that due to a shortage of cars, they sold all of their loaners, so were no longer able to offer valet service nor provide a loaner if I bring it in.

No problem...I'll just call the next nearest dealership (18 miles). They could offer the valet service and could get me scheduled in 3 weeks! I told them I felt that was too long as maintenance is due now and suggested I bring it in. He said regardless of how the car gets there, they are booked out 3 weeks and have no loaner cars for 3 weeks. Strike 2.

Living in the Dallas area, fortunately I have another Genesis dealer somewhat close and called them. Same story, but this time 4 weeks!

That was enough... I called Genesis Customer Care. They were sympathetic to my frustration and said while their 'goal' is to offer the luxury brand experience, it is solely at the dealership's discretion if they want to participate. He called one additional dealer on my behalf, but got the same feedback I'd gotten at the other 3.

I asked what would happen if I had a warranty issue that rendered the car undriveable and he advised the situation would be no different...I'd be 3 to 4 weeks without a car before it would even get looked at.

Luxury brand experience? Not even close!! It's a Hyundai and owners shouldn't expect an ounce more support from their dealers that if they were buying a base model Elantra or Accent.

Thankfully, use car market values are high and I'll come out even when I trade the car in this week.

ProsperDad

Registered Member
Prosper, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Seriously? Tough times everywhere. Suck it up. Jesus.
But somehow the local Acura dealer and Infiniti dealer are immune to "tough times?" Not buying!

This is Hyundai choosing not to honor or live up to the Genesis brand.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I agree, if Genesis wants to play in the luxury market - they need to play by the rules. I bought my G80 because of it. If I had known the truth, I'd have stuck to Sewell Infiniti, Sewell Lexus, or any one of the brands they carry.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
It's not like we're asking to be pampered - we're just asking to be treated with respect and get the services we were sold.

Genesis to Hyundai dealer - "okay, you need to sell these Genesis cars and tell your staff to treat those customers with respect, and give them free services that you don't give the Hyundai customers"

Dealer to Genesis - "uhh.. okay." (whatever....)

But what they do is collect the additional funds from Genesis and then try to avoid doing the service. It's more money in their pocket. The more people like me that say "I'm not going back there" - the more money they get to pocket.

As many have said, until Genesis gets stand-alone dealerships with their own service departments, it's not going to get better.

I've asked, twice - for Sewell in Dallas to please consider carrying Genesis as a line. Just dreaming, though.

BadTrainDriver

Registered Member
Powell, OH
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Settle in...this one is a little lengthy...

I've had my G70 for 6 months now. I was 'sold' on the luxury car service experience and how it was better than what the local Acura (was trading in a TLX) dealer provided. My wife's car is an Infiniti for reference.

Whenever my Acura had to go in for service (maintenance or otherwise), I'd call about a day or 2 prior, drop off the car and leave in a loaner...every time...even during COVID! Our Infiniti dealer (Sewell in Dallas) is on a whole other level and are customer experience focused above all else. This is what I'm used to and what I expected and I made that clear to the Genesis dealer.

Fast forward to last week, when my car notified me that it is time for service (8,000 miles). I also have a small warranty item. I went into my app and tried to schedule with my dealer and couldn't find a valet appointment...I went out as far as February 1 and nothing. I called the dealer and was told that due to a shortage of cars, they sold all of their loaners, so were no longer able to offer valet service nor provide a loaner if I bring it in.

No problem...I'll just call the next nearest dealership (18 miles). They could offer the valet service and could get me scheduled in 3 weeks! I told them I felt that was too long as maintenance is due now and suggested I bring it in. He said regardless of how the car gets there, they are booked out 3 weeks and have no loaner cars for 3 weeks. Strike 2.

Living in the Dallas area, fortunately I have another Genesis dealer somewhat close and called them. Same story, but this time 4 weeks!

That was enough... I called Genesis Customer Care. They were sympathetic to my frustration and said while their 'goal' is to offer the luxury brand experience, it is solely at the dealership's discretion if they want to participate. He called one additional dealer on my behalf, but got the same feedback I'd gotten at the other 3.

I asked what would happen if I had a warranty issue that rendered the car undriveable and he advised the situation would be no different...I'd be 3 to 4 weeks without a car before it would even get looked at.

Luxury brand experience? Not even close!! It's a Hyundai and owners shouldn't expect an ounce more support from their dealers that if they were buying a base model Elantra or Accent.

Thankfully, use car market values are high and I'll come out even when I trade the car in this week.
Are you just now servicing your car for the first time at 8000 miles?

My car is a year and a half old with 11300 miles, and I've serviced it four times.