First road trip in my 2021 G80 . Drove like a champ!

Genesis2021*

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
First longer mainly highway 65 mph speed limit trip. The car really shines as a long distance cruiser. I really didn’t appreciate it as much driving from one traffic light to the next. This is especially true with the auto steer ( lane centering ) and smart cruise control Features. The seats are comfortable. Sound system is great. Gas mileage was 29.7 mpg for the 150 mile trip with the 2.5 L , even with some traffic.

redneck

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Thats some good mpg but our average highway speed down here is 80-90 if i drove anywhere 65 mph i would get rearended by a semi truck
my ram truck gets 26mpg at 65 but drops to19 at 80mph what kinda mpg at higher speeds are you seeing

redneck

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
speed limit is 70 here cops dont even look at you if your under 85

Genesis2021*

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Then you are probably really enjoying your Genesis ! I had to dodge several speed traps doing 74 mph .

CaliTL

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
First longer mainly highway 65 mph speed limit trip. The car really shines as a long distance cruiser. I really didn’t appreciate it as much driving from one traffic light to the next. This is especially true with the auto steer ( lane centering ) and smart cruise control Features. The seats are comfortable. Sound system is great. Gas mileage was 29.7 mpg for the 150 mile trip with the 2.5 L , even with some traffic.
How did you get such great gas mileage? When I test drove it, the trip computer never showed better than 14 MPG, and was at times as low as 8 or 9.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
How did you get such great gas mileage? When I test drove it, the trip computer never showed better than 14 MPG, and was at times as low as 8 or 9.
Evidently something is wonky as it just does not fluctuate that much. You weren't looking at the instant mpg by chance? That would change often. With a little effort I can get mine to show 5 mpg.

CaliTL

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Evidently something is wonky as it just does not fluctuate that much. You weren't looking at the instant mpg by chance? That would change often. With a little effort I can get mine to show 5 mpg.
It was a display on the screen. It never got above 14 MPG. If it ranged from 3 MPG to 60 MPG, then I'd think there was a problem with inaccurate measurements and maybe it would average out to 29 or 30 MPG. But given that it was always so low, I'm not sure what to make of it.

Is there a problem with the instrument? Or is there a problem with the MPG?

How did you measure MPG in arriving at the figure you cite?

Consumer reports says 12 MPG in the city, 25 on the highway, 18 average.

But that there's also often a fuel leak problem (which apparently can cause fires).

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
It was a display on the screen. It never got above 14 MPG. If it ranged from 3 MPG to 60 MPG, then I'd think there was a problem with inaccurate measurements and maybe it would average out to 29 or 30 MPG. But given that it was always so low, I'm not sure what to make of it.

Is there a problem with the instrument? Or is there a problem with the MPG?

How did you measure MPG in arriving at the figure you cite?

Consumer reports says 12 MPG in the city, 25 on the highway, 18 average.

But that there's also often a fuel leak problem (which apparently can cause fires).
I was not with you on the test drive so I can't say what should be expected under those circumstances. Neither of us know how long the engine was running stopped, in traffic or the line at McDonalds before you got in the car. I'd think the CR numbers are pretty accurate, similar to what I experience in my G80 under those circumstances.

redneck

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
10/4 a little weight difference

Genesis2021*

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Correct 2.5L G80. But the real credit goes to cruise control on the highway 29 mpg. In mainly suburban driving I’ve averaged 19 mpg for the 4 months that I’ve owned the car. And I use sport mode about 1/3 of the time.

redneck

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I know sport mode in the gv80 really keeps the RPM up even while just cruising bet you could have done even better in normal

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners