• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

3.3T Flash tune

CannonBall

Registered Member
DC area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I used to have an Audi 2.0T and had the APR flash tune. Took it in, they hook it up to their computer, flash the ecu, and in 45 minutes turn the 2.0T into a 270HP/310FPT beast.

Are there any reputable flash tuners yet for the Genesis 3.3T? Or is everything plug and play?

Thanks

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I believe Tork requires that you send your ECU to them to flash and they can either flash your original one or clone a new one, flash it and send you 2 ECUs to swap between. So you’ll be without your car for a while...just FYI to anyone considering it

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^But the nice thing about ECU tunes is that you can modify not only the boost pressure, but also ignition timing to compensate, and even camshaft timing, all while keeping the ignition timing tables in check relative to boost pressure. That said, generally speaking you can increase boost without having to increase octane - at least not as much as with a piggyback tuner. Also, under some situations, you should be able to get a little more power, though I doubt it would be much.

Personally, I think ECU flashing is the way to go. But, I don't think the software out there is mature enough for me to switch from the JB4 to a flashed ECU. Someday, though.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Just reviving this thread.

I spoke with PRESSER Tech about their ECU tunes available for the Stinger, and asked if they could do the same for the G70. He said yes. Like all other ECU tunes so far, you must send your ECU to them to have them flash it. Unlike some other ECU tunes though, they have some Dyno results...

kia stinger presser tech dyno chart.jpg

+60whp is pretty dang good, stock for stock, and you can see that the power band doesn't start dropping off after 5.5k like the OEM tune does. Also, this is using 93 pump octane, and they said using 91 had a negligible power difference.

Tork Motorsports also has their flash tune available for ours cars (as mentioned above). Though I haven't seen a stock vs ECU flash only Dyno comparison for their product. They're touting upwards of 125whp, but that's after the flash complete with full bolts ons. The last Dyno chart I've seen with their car was about 450whp, and I assume it was using their flash tune. Again, this also had full bolt ons, so I assume that is what they're using as proof for their power gain on their tune.

Also found that VR Tuned has an ECU flash for our cars, though I haven't heard much about it. Many on the Stinger forum say it's garbage, but I haven't actually heard any reviews from anyone who's actually tried it. This is the cheapest of all the flash tunes I've seen so far. Their website states it gives a 40 crank HP increase with a fake Dyno chart posted.

If anyone finds more flash tunes out there please post them!

Last edited:

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Interesting Todd. Wanna get a JB4 but this pressertech tune looks pretty good.
Agreed. It has piqued my interest. It isn't cheap, though. $1250. JB4 is certainly more bang for your buck, plus you get datalogging. Sounds like power is similar to the JB4 w/fuel wires on a custom map between 2 and 3, but with pump gas.

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I dont know if we need a new thread as a sticky or whatever but I wanted to add some info from the piggybacks here so we can compare power gain deltas across everything available.

Lap3 only has a 93 octane tune listed, but Im sure 91 would be the same as pressertech stated above...slightly less gains. Lap3 is showing gains of +96 whp & +84 lb/ft

lap3.PNG

JB4 does have a 91 octane map, along with a 93 octane map. For parity, I am going to call out the map2 gains here but you can see how 91 effects it. JB4 claims gains of +64whp & +77 ft/lbs
jb4.PNG

The thing I find interesting here is how they tune the power curves. The JB4 maintains peak HP & TQ at almost the same as stock. Lap3 seems to move the peak torque value a little higher in the rpm band. From the pressertech dyno posted above, looks like they do the same as Lap3 as peak torque now hits at 4k rpm.

Just some nerdy thoughts, as all of these will affect how the car drives and the way the tune feels. Feel free to add anything I missed or got wrong!

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
An ECU tune is not obtainable for many. With a piggyback...remove it in < 5 minutes before you go to the dealer...and you are good to go.

ECU tune...forget about it. If you still have a warranty...I would be petrified to take it to the dealer. They find out about it...you are done. You can argue that they have to prove, etc, etc. Just look at Audi. They sense any ECU tune...even on an oil change...you are flagged for life and your warranty is essentially done for.

I will stick to my JB4 thank you very much :) Crazy amount of power...like...really...a ton.

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
An ECU tune is not obtainable for many. With a piggyback...remove it in < 5 minutes before you go to the dealer...and you are good to go.

ECU tune...forget about it. If you still have a warranty...I would be petrified to take it to the dealer. They find out about it...you are done. You can argue that they have to prove, etc, etc. Just look at Audi. They sense any ECU tune...even on an oil change...you are flagged for life and your warranty is essentially done for.

I will stick to my JB4 thank you very much :) Crazy amount of power...like...really...a ton.
Yes, warranties are certainly a consideration and something that people should consider first when buying as all of our cars are too new to be out of warranty yet. However when it comes down to just picking a tune/piggyback for raw performance its important to study the power curves because these are so different. For my money, the JB4 would add more power while maintaining the stock feeling of the cars powerband. For someone like me who doesnt want to wring the car out to get performance this is a huge deal. Moving peak torque up to 4k like Lap3 and pressertech means that you might win a quarter mile races, but every day drive ability will be sacrificed

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Agreed. Warranty is definitely a big factor that should be considered. I know that Tork offers ECU clones that can be bought separately - so when you go to the dealer you can just swap back your stock ECU. BUT, the mileage may be off, so if the dealer REALLY wanted to look closely at the software, they *might* be able to see that something is off.

Then there are those of us who either don't care about the warranty, or we got screwed over and don't have a full warranty as is (ie me).

Another nice thing about the JB4 and Lap3 piggybacks is you can change maps on the fly, and add or remove performance depending on whatever octane you have available. So, you can tune to take advantage of octane boosters, which is really nice.

Thanks for the discussion, it's good to have different options in terms of tuning as not everyone falls into the same category.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums