Fluid in intake

BDAdamovicz

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Hello gents, sorry this is my first posti just can't seem to figure this out and I feel it should be simple.

I've had my 2012 5.0 Genesis for a few months and recently have replaced the thermostat and water pump and everything team well for 1500 miles. In the last week my radiator was replaced and this morning I found fluid in the air intake, probably at least 500ml/pint. I was slowly losing coolant before but never found this.

Does anybody have an idea? Any help is appreciated.

edizzle89

Registered Member
Columbus, IN
Genesis Model Type
what color is the fluid? Usually head gaskets wont leak back up through the intake port into the intake manifold. I also dont think our intakes have a coolant crossover so no coolant should be going through it at all. If the fluid is a chocolate milk kinda color it might be oil from the PCV system which is somewhat normal. I have a catch can on my car after seeing some of this oily mix in my intake after cleaning my throttle body. If it's from the PCV system it'll look something like what's in my can.

BDAdamovicz

Genesis Model Type
Eddizzle89, there is aerated oil like that floating on top of coolant. All of which was not there when I had it apart the day before.

I myself can't see how that much coolant could come back through the intake. I've had issues of coolant loss but no signs of coolant leak. No syrupy smell of burnt coolant in the exhaust, but I seem to be burning more oil than I should so those two combined might be offsetting the exhaust smell.

I'm at a total loss, I've worked on helicopter problems easier to fix and diagnose than this.

Gunkk

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Oil+Water mixed anywhere sounds like a head or intake manifold gasket. Either it/they are faulty or the wrong one was installed or installed wrong.

edizzle89

Registered Member
Columbus, IN
Genesis Model Type
I would seriously rule out the intake manifold as there's no coolant that goes to/through the manifold, it only has the 8 ports to the heads, nothing else.

I also have a hard time believing its head gaskets as coolant would have to travel up, against the flow of air during the intake stroke, to make it's way into the intake manifold. But there are a few tests you can do to try and get closer to the cause without just guessing.

You can do a coolant pressure test which pressurizes the cooling system while the engine's off and you can see if the pressure bleeds down which indicates a leak, which might be visible if it's external, if it's leaking into they cylinders than you wont see the leak but see the pressure drop.

You can also perform a cylinder leak down test and see which cylinder(s) leak out pressure which would be able to point to toward head gasket or not based on where the pressure bleeds off to.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.