flutter @ 25-30mph

markpoisson

Registered Member
There is a fluttering sound that I hear between 25-30mph and I cannot determine where it is coming from. It doesn't seem to be in the cabin. From my limited 'testing', it only happens when decelerating gradually (either coasting or braking lightly). Once I push the gas pedal, the sound goes away even at the same speed. Step off the gas, the sound comes back.

I believe I have seen other threads where this is mentioned. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a remedy? It's driving me (and consequently my wife) crazy.

cleex024

Registered Member
NOVA
Yeah I have this too and it's louder when I open my center console up which makes me think it's coming from the transmission. It does drive me crazy too lol since I hear it even coasting at 25mph and that's the speed I drive getting out of my neighborhood.

Dealer say they can't replicate sound and I highly doubt they could fix it even if they could....I'm going to wait a few more months.

Did yours happen as soon as you got the car?

markpoisson

Registered Member
Yeah I have this too and it's louder when I open my center console up which makes me think it's coming from the transmission. It does drive me crazy too lol since I hear it even coasting at 25mph and that's the speed I drive getting out of my neighborhood.

Dealer say they can't replicate sound and I highly doubt they could fix it even if they could....I'm going to wait a few more months.

Did yours happen as soon as you got the car?
I hate the "can't replicate it" response. Whenever they say that, I tell them to jump in and I will replicate. That said, I haven't even bothered with the dealer yet.

I have had the car for 2 years and 54K miles. It only started happening within the last several months. I think you're right about it having to do with the transmission. Maybe a u-joint that loosens when coasting then tightens when accelerating because of torque? Or maybe a mount? 25-30mph must be the right speed for whatever it is to vibrate.

I had an old SAAB that would also vibrate at a specific speed and it turns out is was an engine mount that was broken. I suspect the transmission extends back to under the console and connects to the drive shaft there. My bet is the rear mount is broken. I guess I could try to look underneath. Not sure I could tell though.

It is undeniable that the sound stops the moment I press on the gas and starts back immediately when stepping off the gas.

cleex024

Registered Member
NOVA
I hate the "can't replicate it" response. Whenever they say that, I tell them to jump in and I will replicate. That said, I haven't even bothered with the dealer yet.

I have had the car for 2 years and 54K miles. It only started happening within the last several months. I think you're right about it having to do with the transmission. Maybe a u-joint that loosens when coasting then tightens when accelerating because of torque? Or maybe a mount? 25-30mph must be the right speed for whatever it is to vibrate.

I had an old SAAB that would also vibrate at a specific speed and it turns out is was an engine mount that was broken. I suspect the transmission extends back to under the console and connects to the drive shaft there. My bet is the rear mount is broken. I guess I could try to look underneath. Not sure I could tell though.

It is undeniable that the sound stops the moment I press on the gas and starts back immediately when stepping off the gas.
well mine goes away for the most part after about 5 minutes of driving...guess when its warm it wants to stop making noises lol. also mines really annoying because it happens no matter what im doing at that speed...coasting, accelerating, braking, foot off the gas and brakes to slow down...so no matter what at those speeds it makes that fluttering sound.

just really weird that it happens just at those speeds...although i feel like the car does shake ever so slightly at higher speeds where my water bottle is shaking in the cupholder.

LantanaTXGenesis

Registered Member
well mine goes away for the most part after about 5 minutes of driving...guess when its warm it wants to stop making noises lol. also mines really annoying because it happens no matter what im doing at that speed...coasting, accelerating, braking, foot off the gas and brakes to slow down...so no matter what at those speeds it makes that fluttering sound.

just really weird that it happens just at those speeds...although i feel like the car does shake ever so slightly at higher speeds where my water bottle is shaking in the cupholder.
I'm getting this flutter noise as well. Like the mentions above, I also experience the noise between 25-35MPH. I have roughly 27k on the vehicle.

It happens during acceleration, coasting, etc. Get above 35MPH, or accelerate quickly and the noise is gone.

Couple this with the sunroof rattle and I am losing my mind!

markpoisson

Registered Member
I'm getting this flutter noise as well. Like the mentions above, I also experience the noise between 25-35MPH. I have roughly 27k on the vehicle.

It happens during acceleration, coasting, etc. Get above 35MPH, or accelerate quickly and the noise is gone.

Couple this with the sunroof rattle and I am losing my mind!
Does yours go away after a few minutes? Mine is getting more pronounced. I haven't looked under the car yet but I wonder if it has to do with the exhaust system. Maybe the catalytic converter?

hman

Hasn't posted much yet...
San Antonio
I have noticed it too recently, with around 9000 miles on my 2015 G2. I was planning to drive in manual mode to see if its the speed or when downshifting between specific gears. Not sure if if the engine sound drowns it when stepping on gas. Will wait and see what happens knowing it has good coverage for a long time.

StarPower

Registered Member
Virginia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I played around with this a while back, and didn't notice any change in the noise when changing engine speed with the transmission in manual. It seems to vary based on vehicle speed and whether the vehicle is accelerating, coasting, or decelerating.

azgolfrat

Hasn't posted much yet...
My 2015 V8 has the same noise. Just started. 28-32 miles per hour...upon accel into that range or decel into that range. Started at about 13,000 miles.

G530

Registered Member
We are not imagining here. Definately an issue with this model. Mine is detected at cold engine driving around 25 to 35. Less than 4k miles.

rojo2223

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Hey guys I posted on another thread yesterday that my dealer located the problem. Replacing the entire driveshaft assembly(which includes the propeller shaft). Used electronic device to locate origin of noise. Noise coming from propeller shaft unit. This unit is directly located underneath the console. That's why when you open up the console the fluttering/clicking noise is more pronounced. Scheduled to install driveshaft assembly this Monday. Will keep ya posted.

rojo2223

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Just dropped off my car this afternoon...Was waiting for a loaner. Rep said new driveshaft would be installed by noon tomorrow. So I should have my car back by Thursday pm. I will let you know the outcome.

rojo2223

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Just picked up car. Rep test drove the vehicle before I picked it up. No fluttering noise. I drove around for a few minutes and no fluttering noise. Hopefully this is a fix. I will continue to monitor and will post if noise returns.

Program1

Getting familiar with the group...
Upstate NY
...Was waiting for a loaner...
Apologies, slightly off topic. Is it common to get a loaner when you have your car in warranty work? I am getting work done next week and do I just need to ask for a loaner car?

Oh, and one last thing, do they wash it or anything like that while it's in? (I've never had a car in for work before that I had to drop it off) :)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.