• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

FM Radio connection strength?

Cowtown

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Greater Victoria, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hey all, had a comment from the wife this morning on how the FM radio seems to give out not far from home. I know our specific area of town has weird cell and other dips due to the geographical anomalies nearby however we've never had static issues on the radio in any car. I didn't notice it before but she loves using the radio, I'm 99% AA & Spotify so it never comes up for me. I checked all the stations, all coming in perfectly strong in the driveway, connects to some area HD Radio stations beautifully. I made sure her phone was ready to use but she really likes this one local radio station. She just called me after I checked all this and said she didn't make it to the end of the block before she lost FM signal.

Really weird stuff, anyone seen that? If not I'll give a ring to Genesis and see if there is anything known about that. She said it just seemed to happen late last week because she never said boo the 2 weeks prior.

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Cowtown

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Greater Victoria, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It was a ceramic tint that they applied though it did start around then, be good to double check with them I guess. That said it hasn't seemed to be an issue the last couple days. She had my son record it happening and surely that one station dropped right away and several others were heavily static. These are local stations in town that have no issues otherwise. That said last couple days have been fine so..... I'll double check with the tint installer though, thanks for the tip, I've never seen an antenna in the rear window like that before.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Cowtown

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Greater Victoria, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
most cars since the early 2000s. i'd say 85% of them on the road. trucks not so much.

this part of the rear window is your antenna:

View attachment 17079
Really cool stuff, didn't realize that. Also haven't had an issue with any other car so this is certainly annoying. I'll watch it's behavior and go back to the tinter after and discuss. The company seems to have a good warranty/satisfaction guarantee.

cbet25

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Really cool stuff, didn't realize that. Also haven't had an issue with any other car so this is certainly annoying. I'll watch it's behavior and go back to the tinter after and discuss. The company seems to have a good warranty/satisfaction guarantee.
I can’t PM you since I’m new I guess but did you ever get this problem resolved? Thanks

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Cowtown

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Greater Victoria, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I can’t PM you since I’m new I guess but did you ever get this problem resolved? Thanks
It seems to have not been an issue the last couple weeks. I suspect the top/bottom of the window in this scenario wasn't receiving any scrape or defrost for obvious reasons and that's likely what was impacting the signal. Timing wise to be honest we hadn't had much cold until right around then as well so it's either just happenstance or the addition of frost just made the signal drop. Of course I would take the car out later and never hear an issue because the frost would all be gone. ;-)

So what I suggested after this thread and thinking about when it happened is just suggested to my wife on mornings where she takes the G70 to work or run the kid to school and it's frosty to just do a quick scrape around the top and bottom and she hasn't complained about it since. Could be the tint, could be the frost, could be both I likely won't really know at this point. Maybe some of my prairie countrymen can help but I suspect many/most have garages so it's not something we'll see a lot of, let alone see habitual use of FM radio.

cbet25

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Okay I appreciate it thanks. I just got a G80 with tint and it drops the signal like crazy with no frost or anything. I might take the tint off and see if it still does it. If it does I’ll take it to the Genesis dealer as it’s under warranty still. I would hate to take it in and them to blame the tint and not fix it for me.

cbet25

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I don't think there are any rules on PMing, just click on the member's name and choose Start Conversation. Although in this case we would like to hear if there was an outcome. ;)
For some reason it says I don’t have permission when doing so.
6FC21FC0-1DAE-425E-9789-1C9B8BDEA336.png

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Marth50

I have a 2011 Genesis Sedan that the FM station go out and give nothing but loud static , the stations come in and out please help. by the way NO TINT . The radio has been replaced times.