Fogging up?

15GenesisAWD

Getting familiar with the group...
Last friday it was raning/snowing, right around 32-33 degree at night. I was driving, as usual, auto defrost on, smart vent on, temp set at 72 degree at full auto, synced with passenger, no windows opened, alone in the car.

I felt the air going to the windshield time to time, auto defrost was working? All of sudden, my windshielf fogged up to the point where I only had about 10-20% of real estate of visibility in the middle of windshield. It happened in the matter of a few seconds!!! At which point, car diverted full air to windshield, but it was not clearing. I actually had to pull to the side because I couldn't see anything out the windshield. Nothing broke, I don't think, because it eventually cleared up after a few minutes. Car has less than 2000 miles.

I can honestly say I never had such problem with other similarly priced cars in the past. Probably one of worst and dummist HVAC system in a car from my experience.

When wiper is on, while heater is on, turn the AC on by default! Or at least when outside temperature is near freezing degree. And start using outside air instead of recirculation. What good is CO2 system that pulls outside air when air is stuffy inside when visibility outward becomes near zero and fails to draw in outside air?

rickfen

Registered Member
Last friday it was raning/snowing, right around 32-33 degree at night. I was driving, as usual, auto defrost on, smart vent on, temp set at 72 degree at full auto, synced with passenger, no windows opened, alone in the car.

I felt the air going to the windshield time to time, auto defrost was working? All of sudden, my windshielf fogged up to the point where I only had about 10-20% of real estate of visibility in the middle of windshield. It happened in the matter of a few seconds!!! At which point, car diverted full air to windshield, but it was not clearing. I actually had to pull to the side because I couldn't see anything out the windshield. Nothing broke, I don't think, because it eventually cleared up after a few minutes. Car has less than 2000 miles.

I can honestly say I never had such problem with other similarly priced cars in the past. Probably one of worst and dummist HVAC system in a car from my experience.

When wiper is on, while heater is on, turn the AC on by default! Or at least when outside temperature is near freezing degree. And start using outside air instead of recirculation. What good is CO2 system that pulls outside air when air is stuffy inside when visibility outward becomes near zero and fails to draw in outside air?
A similar situation occurred with my car when the car was about 3 days old. Hasn't happened since. I wrote it off to "new car". I may try to duplicate it again.:confused:

CanukV6

Registered Member
I also had a similar experience one time soon after taking delivery. Hasn't happened again. Not sure if under certain conditions the HVAC system cycles through some sensor learning routine that causes this condition, but it is strange that a few people have reported the same thing.

ep010835

Been here awhile...
I also had the problem as described in the first post. Same conditions. Same outcome, more or less. I was able to struggle back to my garage. Hasn't happened to me again but then the weather has not been like it was that night either. If if does happen again (in addition to a trip to the dealer shortly afterward) I thought I'd try to switch out of Auto into the AC mode and see if that helps. Sort of defeats the purpose of the Auto function.

irvingtondad

Hasn't posted much yet...
irvington ny
new 2015 awd genny, same thing happened to me, dropped the temp a few degrees and it quickly straightened itself out, but I agree this should not happen on a high end vehicle

CanukV6

Registered Member
Doesn't anybody have a windshield defroster button on their dash? 😀
When this happened to me, the HVAC system was in AUTO mode, which is supposed to monitor and respond to any fogging conditions. When I realised that the system was not responding, I manually switched to Defrost mode, but it took some time to clear all the windows, front, side and rear, so heavy was the moisture layer.

Nikgen

Been here awhile...
Same problem here, happened once early on, hasn't happened since.
Has happened with every car I've ever owned at one time or another - the right (or wrong, in this case) combination of environmental conditions inside and outside your car can sometimes occur and no AC system can handle 100% this of the time (imho).

Rogerf

Registered Member
I agree with Nikgen, I have had this happen for years on an off. It seems it was usaully during inclement weather, often a summer thunderstorm, and it took a couple of minutes to clear the inside of the windshield.

GDT

Registered Member
Man, this is so strange...exact same thing happened to me....including the facts that it happened early on in the car's life, and has not happened again after that one incident. Fogged up so hard I had to do an emergency dive onto the shoulder of a heavily traveled road.

Gunkk

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Florida
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
It sounds like a bug in the nav control software that is blowing hot wet air onto a cold windshield when the a.c. goes into re-gen/deice mode. You guys should report this to nhtsa.

StarPower

Registered Member
Virginia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Mine were foggy for a little while on the drive home. A stripe on the driver's side also seemed to be blocked by the HUD. It did clear after a few minutes, though.

CanukV6

Registered Member
As many others have also reported in this Thread, this strange fogging issue only happened once early in the ownership timeline. From my experience, there have been a number of times since where fogging started but the system (set to Auto) reacted as it should and switched to Defrost mode until the screen was clear. I have never had the severe fogging that affected all windows in the car except for that one-time. This was no unusual environmental condition, but maybe the first time the HVAC system encountered such conditions and for some reason failed to react properly. After that the system has performed flawlessly.

15GenesisAWD

Getting familiar with the group...
For whatever is worth, it happened twice that day, once more the next day but has not happened since then. Perhaps environment variables had to be just so...Still does not give me the peace of mind, to think that if this were to happen on a highway with other people in the car.