Second Generation ? for NA customers who've replaced their stock headlights with the KDM OEM lights..

Aquineas

4th Genesis
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Nope, no solution yet unfortunately. i figure I'm stuck with it for another 2 years.

jrhodes87

Registered Member
that's to bad :(

I've actually been talking to an ebay dealer about purchasing these they are the KDM G80 full LED system

http://file1.bobaedream.co.kr/bbstory/2016/08/22/17/57bab5760bdf1.jpg
http://file1.bobaedream.co.kr/bbstory/2016/08/22/17/57bab576d2dff.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_AbUdt7TPY&lc=z123f5zwhkblytuaw04cjfjqcqjnuvpo0hw.1489275063958569

I've chatted with the guy in the video he says they are very straight foward plug and play, so we will see, hopefully the same issues don't arise, will try to update when the time comes.

Aquineas

4th Genesis
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The LED headlights are different than the dual-projector HIDs that I bought. Which ones are you considering getting? I think there's like three different models. The ones you linked to look great, btw.

jrhodes87

Registered Member
Thank you, I plan on getting the ones from the video as the guy gave me the contact info from the ebay dealer who he bought them from 1700 for both. I know the G80 Sport LED's are selling right now on ebay but they are going for around 2k a headlight which is ridiculous

KLEANTRIX

Hasn't posted much yet...
Texas
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Thank you, I plan on getting the ones from the video as the guy gave me the contact info from the ebay dealer who he bought them from 1700 for both. I know the G80 Sport LED's are selling right now on ebay but they are going for around 2k a headlight which is ridiculous

Were you able to get those G80 headlights on your Genesis??

Thanks in advance.

Stephanmonette

Old thread but thought I’d throw this in. I just installed the KDM lights on my car.

I have no DRL’s now. When set to auto the car simply turns on no lights up front.

I’m not sure if they’ve changed how the harness works knowing the issue with US spec setup on the 15/16’s or if the dealer recently doing a software update to fix my front parking sensors (changed a bunch of settings and options) may have changed how the car responds to these lights... Since y’all have flickering issues I’m not unhappy about this but still wish it did magic and had the white LED’s come on. Everything else with the lights work exactly as expected. Only mod I’ve done to my car in the years I’ve owned it lol

sluggo

Registered Member
With regard to the flickering, I believe they "dim" the incandescents not by using a lower voltage, but by "pulsing" the 12V to the bulbs. Incandescents heat up and cool off slowly, so a pulse train with a duty cycle of say 50% would reduce the effective power to the bulb, making it dimmer, but the pulsing nature of the current would not show up on an incandescent bulb.

Dimming by chopping the current like this is way cheaper than creating a whole new voltage with current capacity high enough for bulbs.

LED's, of course, are fairly fast diodes and will turn on and off as fast as you ask them to. A pulsed voltage on an LED will look like exactly that (I haven't actually seen the flickering but I'm assuming it's 10/second or so?). What would probably work to eliminate the flickering would be a moderately high-value capacitor mounted near the bulb's harness between the pulsed voltage and ground. The cap will charge during the "on" cycle and will hold the input to the bulb at near +12 during an "off" cycle. The cap wouldn't need to be anything special - a 25V rating to account for any inductance in the line and 10 or 15,000 mFd of capacity. Such a cap would cost maybe $4 or so.

I'd be happy to test this if anyone's interested. I just need a car (mine's a 2013) and maybe 30 minutes. If you're near San Jose CA and would like to try it, send me a PM.

CarlitoGR

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Maryland
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
With regard to the flickering, I believe they "dim" the incandescents not by using a lower voltage, but by "pulsing" the 12V to the bulbs. Incandescents heat up and cool off slowly, so a pulse train with a duty cycle of say 50% would reduce the effective power to the bulb, making it dimmer, but the pulsing nature of the current would not show up on an incandescent bulb.

Dimming by chopping the current like this is way cheaper than creating a whole new voltage with current capacity high enough for bulbs.

LED's, of course, are fairly fast diodes and will turn on and off as fast as you ask them to. A pulsed voltage on an LED will look like exactly that (I haven't actually seen the flickering but I'm assuming it's 10/second or so?). What would probably work to eliminate the flickering would be a moderately high-value capacitor mounted near the bulb's harness between the pulsed voltage and ground. The cap will charge during the "on" cycle and will hold the input to the bulb at near +12 during an "off" cycle. The cap wouldn't need to be anything special - a 25V rating to account for any inductance in the line and 10 or 15,000 mFd of capacity. Such a cap would cost maybe $4 or so.

I'd be happy to test this if anyone's interested. I just need a car (mine's a 2013) and maybe 30 minutes. If you're near San Jose CA and would like to try it, send me a PM.

I was just thinking the same thing that would have been a fix for the flickering. I'm going to be trying this mod in the upcoming weeks. Trying to read up on all of the previous woes of others. On another note, would it be feasible to use a mini Arduino board to measure the pulse with and if it stays within a certain interval, say for what we expect DRL to be, output the clean voltage needed to drive the led strip. And whatever the difference in signal would be for the lights on, drive a different line. This is just me throwing out ideas. I have an Arduino laying around somewhere, and when my parts come in I'll be able to get a bit more in-depth.

Last edited:

Apombo3

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I can't edit my original post, but I just wanted to strongly endorse rpmtrade as the vendor. I've had some irregularities with other vendors.
So I contacted rDM on eBay as well. He said that currently the conversion cable is not available for sale in Korea do you know where else I might be able to find this cable?

Aquineas

4th Genesis
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So I contacted rDM on eBay as well. He said that currently the conversion cable is not available for sale in Korea do you know where else I might be able to find this cable?
I apologize, I am not aware of another source.

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!
The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners