Forgetting to press park button

ft55555

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I've owned my G70 for about 9 months, and I've forgotten to press park before shutting off the engine about 5 times now. Luckily, it's never been on a steep incline.

My main issue isn't that the car could start rolling before I realize my mistake, which has happened before, albeit for just a couple of feet. My main issue is that it seems that you have to start the engine before you can put the vehicle into park. Am I off base here? Do you not have to start the engine?

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I've owned my G70 for about 9 months, and I've forgotten to press park before shutting off the engine about 5 times now. Luckily, it's never been on a steep incline.

My main issue isn't that the car could start rolling before I realize my mistake, which has happened before, albeit for just a couple of feet. My main issue is that it seems that you have to start the engine before you can put the vehicle into park. Am I off base here? Do you not have to start the engine?
Do you mean PARKING BRAKE?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Yours should work the same:
P (Park)
Always come to a complete stop
before shifting into P (Park).
To shift the gear from R (Reverse), N
(Neutral), D (Drive) or Manual mode
to P (Park), press the [P] button.
If you turn off the engine in D (Drive),
R (Reverse) or Manual mode the
shifting automatically changes to P
(Park).
When you park the vehicle, press the
[P] button while depressing the brake
pedal and then apply the parking
brake.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I've never hit park, computer puts car into park when you turn off the motor.
BUT if you put auto-hold on as a practice (as I do) and you just turn off the motor then it will not automatically engage the parking brake. Maybe that’s no big deal to you, just wanted to point it out. Also some of the door auto unlocking sequences may nto work.

So only if you press Park before turning off the motor will the parking will automatically engage if auto hold was turned on during your drive. I happen to like auto hold and having the parking brake go on automatically so I always press Park.

ft55555

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yours should work the same:
P (Park)
Always come to a complete stop
before shifting into P (Park).
To shift the gear from R (Reverse), N
(Neutral), D (Drive) or Manual mode
to P (Park), press the [P] button.
If you turn off the engine in D (Drive),
R (Reverse) or Manual mode the
shifting automatically changes to P
(Park).
When you park the vehicle, press the
[P] button while depressing the brake
pedal and then apply the parking
brake.
What I typically do is shift from D to N, press the P button, and shut off engine. I sometimes forget the 2nd step so the engine is off while in neutral.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
BUT if you put auto-hold on as a practice (as I do) and you just turn off the motor then it will not automatically engage the parking brake. Maybe that’s no big deal to you, just wanted to point it out. Also some of the door auto unlocking sequences may nto work.

So only if you press Park before turning off the motor will the parking will automatically engage if auto hold was turned on during your drive. I happen to like auto hold and having the parking brake go on automatically so I always press Park.
I use auto hold every drive, if auto-hold is turned on the P-brake auto sets, it does not auto-set if auto hold is off, you have it backwards, it is very clearly explained in the owners manual.

as I said I never use “P” just turn off the car and exit. I don’t touch the shifter, not to neutral not to park. Nothing, power off and exit. No need for all the extra Foofarah.

all my doors unlock, car is in park and p-brake is engaged. Simple and easy.

Last edited:

ft55555

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
BUT if you put auto-hold on as a practice (as I do) and you just turn off the motor then it will not automatically engage the parking brake.
I must have it set the same way. That sounds almost counterintuitive that turning a feature on makes it so that some action doesn't happen automatically. What is this auto hold feature? Maybe I should RTFM. LOL.

ft55555

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
as I said I never use “P” just turn off the car and exit. I don’t touch the shifter, not to neutral not to park. Nothing, power off and exit. No need for all the extra Foofarah.
Oh, you just shut off the engine while the shifter is still in D?

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Oh, you just shut off the engine while the shifter is still in D?
Yup, no need to do anything else, the computer is programmed to put the car into park.. even when I am in reverse, I just turn off the car, of course in both cases my foot remains on the brake until the car is off and I hear the p-brake set.. it does make a very ominous noise when it sets.

as stated I use auto hold every drive and with auto-hold on the p-brake also automatically engages when you power off the car.

Mcc has it backwards in his post.

ft55555

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yup, no need to do anything else, the computer is programmed to put the car into park.. even when I am in reverse, I just turn off the car, of course in both cases my foot remains on the brake until the car is off and I hear the p-brake set.. it does make a very ominous noise when it sets.

as stated I use auto hold every drive and with auto-hold on the p-brake also automatically engages when you power off the car.

Nice. Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately for me, just shutting off the engine without shifting might be just as difficult to get used to than adding the step of hitting P before shutting off the engine. It doesn't help that I barely drive anymore due to the pandemic. I've driven roughly 1600 miles in 9 months.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I must have it set the same way. That sounds almost counterintuitive that turning a feature on makes it so that some action doesn't happen automatically. What is this auto hold feature? Maybe I should RTFM. LOL.
Auto Hold is one of the nicest features. Press the button to turn it on. When you come to a stop and the brakes were pushed hard enough, they will stay on even if you take your foot off the brake pedal. Release as soon as you touch the gas. Really nice at a long light or stop n go traffic.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
What I typically do is shift from D to N, press the P button, and shut off engine. I sometimes forget the 2nd step so the engine is off while in neutral.
It will still go into Park though

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
It will still go into Park though

No, it won't. It stays in "N" and the car will start moving if you don't hit the brakes. I also thought, that it would automatically switch to "P".

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
No, it won't. It stays in "N" and the car will start moving if you don't hit the brakes. I also thought, that it would automatically switch to "P".
OK, if you turn it off in D or R it goes into Park. Looks like Neutral is different
N (Neutral)
In N (Neutral), if the driver attempts
to turn off the engine, the transmission
remains in the N (Neutral) position
and the Engine Start/Stop button
will be in the ACC position.
To turn off the engine from the ACC
position, press the Engine Start/Stop
button to the ON position, press the
[P] button, and press the Engine
Start/Stop button to the OFF position.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

When I do put it in park the parking brake does engage. So it may not be an entirely correct post but it’s not backwards.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

When I do put it in park the parking brake does engage. So it may not be an entirely correct post but it’s not backwards.

Per your statement above, This is incorrect. If auto-hold is turned on and you press “P” or turn off the motor when the vehicle is in ”R” or “D” the electric parking brake engages Automatically

If auto-hold is NOT turned on, the parking brake will not automatically engage. Regardless of how you turn off the vehicle (pressing park first or just turning it off as I do).

so yes your statement is backwards. As you are stating the opposite of what is documented in the manual and how the system works.

The computer will put the car into park if you turn off the motor if you are in drive or reverse, It does not if you are in neutral, this is by design for towing the vehicle, you don’t want to tow it in gear and you don’t want to tow it with the ignition turned on.

If you turn off the vehicle while in neutral the parking brake does not set nor does the computer put the vehicle into park.

Last edited:
The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums