Forward Collision

Kjs33233

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
About to purchase a G70 but need clarity on the forward collision. My Q50 will actually stop my car with this feature. As I’m coming up to a red light, I can release the gas and it will brake for me provided their is a vehicle in front of me.

After test driving 2 G70s, it doesn’t appear to work the same.

Can anyone provide some details on exactly how it works?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
About to purchase a G70 but need clarity on the forward collision. My Q50 will actually stop my car with this feature. As I’m coming up to a red light, I can release the gas and it will brake for me provided their is a vehicle in front of me.

After test driving 2 G70s, it doesn’t appear to work the same.

Can anyone provide some details on exactly how it works?
There are two separate features. AEB Automatic Emergency Braking and SCC, Smart Cruise control. AEB is more for emergency braking, but when the SCC is engaged it will follow cars very well, including stopping.

The Autonomous Emergency
Braking (AEB) system is designed to
help detect and monitor the vehicle
ahead or help detect a pedestrian in
the roadway through radar signals
and camera recognition to warn the
driver that a collision is imminent,
and if necessary, apply emergency
braking.

Prerequisite for activation
The AEB gets ready to be activated,
when the AEB is selected on the
LCD display, and when the following
prerequisites are satisfied.
- The ESC (Electronic Stability
Control ) is on.
- To enable the system to detect
pedestrians ahead, the vehicle
driving speed must be between 5
mph – 45 mph (8 km/h – 70 km/h).
- To enable the system to detect a
vehicle ahead, the vehicle driving
speed must be between 5 mph –
110 mph (8 km/h – 180 km/h).
When traveling above 50 mph (80
km/h), the AEB system only initiates
partial braking. This is to prevent
unintended full braking to stop in the
middle of the highway.

Kjs33233

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
There are two separate features. AEB Automatic Emergency Braking and SCC, Smart Cruise control. AEB is more for emergency braking, but when the SCC is engaged it will follow cars very well, including stopping.

The Autonomous Emergency
Braking (AEB) system is designed to
help detect and monitor the vehicle
ahead or help detect a pedestrian in
the roadway through radar signals
and camera recognition to warn the
driver that a collision is imminent,
and if necessary, apply emergency
braking.

Prerequisite for activation
The AEB gets ready to be activated,
when the AEB is selected on the
LCD display, and when the following
prerequisites are satisfied.
- The ESC (Electronic Stability
Control ) is on.
- To enable the system to detect
pedestrians ahead, the vehicle
driving speed must be between 5
mph – 45 mph (8 km/h – 70 km/h).
- To enable the system to detect a
vehicle ahead, the vehicle driving
speed must be between 5 mph –
110 mph (8 km/h – 180 km/h).
When traveling above 50 mph (80
km/h), the AEB system only initiates
partial braking. This is to prevent
unintended full braking to stop in the
middle of the highway.
Sounds like it should basically work the same...thanks for the info!

Love the SCC in my current vehicle as well!

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

The AEB will give both a sound warning and flashing light on the dash. You won't miss it. I've gotten the warning, never the braking but others have. SCC can make life easier.

Regor60

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

The AEB will not provide a nice modulated stop and will activate in what appears to be the last minute. Would not recommend intentionally causing it to actuate

Kjs33233

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The AEB will not provide a nice modulated stop and will activate in what appears to be the last minute. Would not recommend intentionally causing it to actuate
Appreciate the info. Sounds like if you use the cruise control though you can rely on it?

Regor60

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Yes

Kjs33233

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I believe all Genesis 2017 and on have this standard
However on the Q50, it will literally brake for you at all times as long as there is a car in front of you. It’s not a sudden brake.

If your within range of the car in front, and you remove your foot from the brake, it will keep braking. You basically don’t have to brake manually at all.

Don’t really need that but it was nice...

joschneider

Registered Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
However on the Q50, it will literally brake for you at all times as long as there is a car in front of you. It’s not a sudden brake.

If your within range of the car in front, and you remove your foot from the brake, it will keep braking. You basically don’t have to brake manually at all.

Don’t really need that but it was nice...
Are you talking about when you’re in cruise control? Because the G70 does this, in addition to the emergency braking...

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

Kjs33233

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think what you are referring to is AEB.
The Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) system is designed to help detect and monitor the vehicle ahead or detect a pedestrian in the roadway through radar signals and camera recognition to warn the driver that a collision is imminent, and if necessary, apply emergency braking.
Correct. But the AEB doesn’t work like it does in the Q50. I’ve tried coasting towards the car in front of me and no brakes have been applied, leaving me to brake myself before getting too close.

On the Q50, once I’m within a few car lengths, it automatically starts braking. It’s not a slam on the brakes either, it’s a gentle pressure enough to keep you a certain distance, similar to how the adaptive cruise control works.

Soma

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Correct. But the AEB doesn’t work like it does in the Q50. I’ve tried coasting towards the car in front of me and no brakes have been applied, leaving me to brake myself before getting too close.

On the Q50, once I’m within a few car lengths, it automatically starts braking. It’s not a slam on the brakes either, it’s a gentle pressure enough to keep you a certain distance, similar to how the adaptive cruise control works.
What year and trim level is your Q50? I've never noticed that on my brother's though we have gotten the "brake harder moron" warning before. Do you have all the safety stuff turned up to max sensitivity/early warning? (both on the Q50 and G70)

Kjs33233

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It w
What year and trim level is your Q50? I've never noticed that on my brother's though we have gotten the "brake harder moron" warning before. Do you have all the safety stuff turned up to max sensitivity/early warning? (both on the Q50 and G70)
It was a 2016. I think there was a feature that provided a warning and then a step up in that feature that actually brakes as I mentioned. Funny thing is, when it brakes, it doesn’t even warn you, it just brakes.

My wife got a 2018QX60 and it has the same feature.