• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Front brake pad and rotor replacement at dealer

ewang

Hasn't posted much yet...
WI
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Quoted $487 for just the fronts.

Seems high, yes?

I've done brakes on my Ram and older Elantra, but was worried about the Genesis brakes. Should I just do them myself?

RyanB

Getting familiar with the group...
Elmhurst, IL
The genesis brake pads are really easy to change. You can easily do them yourself in an hour or less. Hell jacking the car and removing the rims will be the most time consuming.

Markymark

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Does the genesis have a wear indicator for the front pads? Knowing how much electronic crap is on these cars, I'd guess ... yes.

Jamesalanb

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I was quoted 590 for the same at local dealer, and 501 by a local shop.
I just don't know that I want to go to a 'cheaper' aftermarket option - I've seen varied comments on performance.
Still haven't pulled the trigger on either...

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

GarnetTy1473

Been here awhile...
Noblesville, IN
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Quoted $487 for just the fronts.

Seems high, yes?

I've done brakes on my Ram and older Elantra, but was worried about the Genesis brakes. Should I just do them myself?
I can almost guarantee that's for new pads, and resurfacing the rotors. The factory pads list at $140.52, and the rotors list between $149.95 to $160.02/ea. So you're looking at $440.42 minimum just for parts, and that's IF the dealer sells them at list, which most don't.

dcrob95

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
It's very easy to change the pads on the Genesis. If you're doing it yourself, you will spend less than half of what the dealer quoted you for the fronts. I spent about $420 with shipping & taxes for both front and rear pads and rotors. I went with the Power Stop, drilled and slotted from Rockauto.com & look and perform great. There are cheaper options as well from there and other sources.

ewang

WI
Genesis Model Type
Thanks for everyone's replies. I just went with it for now and will change the rears myself when it comes time. Live and learn!

Dukkiep@aol.com

It's very easy to change the pads on the Genesis. If you're doing it yourself, you will spend less than half of what the dealer quoted you for the fronts. I spent about $420 with shipping & taxes for both front and rear pads and rotors. I went with the Power Stop, drilled and slotted from Rockauto.com & look and perform great. There are cheaper options as well from there and other sources.
Hi what about the regular pro stop rotors, ? Going to use the pro stop ceramic z23 pads,

Thxs

dcrob95

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Hi what about the regular pro stop rotors, ? Going to use the pro stop ceramic z23 pads,

Thxs
I considered cheaper ones but cannot comment on those as I haven't tried them. Personally, I find myself always spending more for something that's not the cheapest option when it comes to replacing pads and rotors. I like the look of a slotted and drilled rotor, and wanted the additional coating on the rotors to limit the amount of rust that you typically find on many rotors. The cheapest option do not have this. Also I like the idea of a pad that might potentially have a bit more performance.

Time will tell how these last compared to original OEM parts, but over the past 4 months I am very happy.

Dukkiep@aol.com

Sorry I meant powerstop rotors they are coated. Not the cross drilled ones though. Dealer wanted $800 discounted, for the oem ones does not include installation. Sheer insanity!

drwhiskey

Genesis Model Type
Hey all. Time for me to change pads on my 2015 Genesis 3.8 Sedan. I came here for opinions on resurfacing the rotors vs new ones.
I don't want slotted/drilled rotors. So, if replacing, what did you get that aren't that? Any advantage to sticking with the OEM and just resurfacing them?
The only reason I'm leaning towards new rotors is time: I'd have to time the work just right on a Friday evening to get the rotors off so I could take them to the ONLY shop around that resurfaces on a Saturday morning. This way, my car's back in action that day.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

drwhiskey

Genesis Model Type
I'd go new. Sure, they cost a bit more but others have not fared well with resurface, especially if they had ussues starting out.

While resurfacing was common a few decades ago it seems rotors are made different now and it does not work as well.
Thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards new just for the convenience factor.
My biggest concern, now, is how to jack up the front end AND place jack stands under the car. The underpinning stuff adds a big of a challenge and based on some research, it isn't easy to find/get to spot to put the stands while the jack is in place.

Thank you.

BlancaGenny

Been here awhile...
Dayton, OH
Genesis Model Type
If you have less than 80k miles, there is no need to replace the rotors. Honestly, mileage doesn't matter. The only reason to replace rotors is warping or deterioration. You will feel a vibration/shake in the steering wheel when braking if this is the case. My first car was a '94 Impala SS and it had the original rotors on it when I replaced them at 210k miles. How do I know? Old man bought in new so it was in the family.

New pads, and maybe..... a resurface depending on miles. No vibration/shake, no need to replace rotors unless visibly damaged.

Dukkiep@aol.com

Unfortunately new ones are not like the old ones. Mine at 39k with visible damage. Also in north nj rare to find a shop to turn them, if you find one. Its half to buy new ones and forget what dealers are charging it's down right insulting!

BobBeau

Registered Member
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type
I just bought a '15 a couple of weeks ago. The dealer resurfaced the rotors and put new pads on it when they took it in on trade. I have no problems with the resurfacing as of now but I guess only time will tell. If and when I do start getting a vibration in the pedal... I'll probably go with Centric's Stop Tech cryo rotors. (No, I'm not affiliated with Centric. Just a fan of their products)

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums