• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Fuel injector cleaning - Needed? best way to do it

DFWGenny2015

Hasn't posted much yet...
DFW
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Took the car for it oil change and the dealer was insisting they do a fuel injector cleaning as Hyundai recommends it. Thanked them and said no. Does Hyundai do more than put a cleaner in the fuel tank and would you'll recommend I do it myself with a store bought cleaner? (what brand). I only use Costco gas for the car.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

glennk

Been here awhile...
Dallas, TX
If you're all ready using Top Tier gasoline (which you are), then your car is receiving more detergents than what the US government demands. Adding another additive (Techron) will most likely make no difference.

As Ed stated, extra services such as this only serve to pad dealer's bottom line. I took my Genesis in for it's 33750 mile oil change and the advisor came out stating I needed a brake fluid and radiator fluid flush. Both would have added $250 to my bill and could be done in less than 1 hour! How exciting! I turned both offers down and headed over to Pep Boys for a second opinion. Using test strips (tests for quality of fluid) and an electronic tester (checks for metal build-up in the fluid), they confirmed both fluids were just fine and to follow the manual.

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Took the car for it oil change and the dealer was insisting they do a fuel injector cleaning as Hyundai recommends it. Thanked them and said no. Does Hyundai do more than put a cleaner in the fuel tank and would you'll recommend I do it myself with a store bought cleaner? (what brand). I only use Costco gas for the car.
I would just use a good brand of gas like Shell that uses a very good detergent package in the gas or use a bottle of fuel treatment like Techron every month to clean the fuel injector nozzles.

I personally only use Shell V-power 93 octane and my 5.0 engine which runs very very smooth to point that you can not tell that it is running at idle. It did not run that smooth when I first bought it when it ran on whatever regular octane fuel the dealship used.

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
My Hyundai dealer pushes BG additives HARD now. It's their little cash cow for the customers that they scare into thinking the "cleaners" are needed or the "warranty may be voided" or similar tactics. Hell, even the local Jiffy Lubes are doing it now.

Keep using Top Tier gas and you won't ever need "fuel additives".

need4spd

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I am pretty sure the manual says to put cleaner in the tank every 7500 miles or if using top tier gas (costco gas is top tier) you don't need to do it.

on page F9 of my 2016 manual:

For customers who do not use TOP
Tier Detergent Gasoline regularly,
and have problems starting or the
engine does not run smoothly, additives
that you can buy separately
may be added to the gasoline. If TOP
TIER Detergent Gasoline is not available,
one bottle of additive added to
the fuel tank at every 7,500 miles or

every engine oil change is recommended.
Additives are available from
your authorized HYUNDAI dealer
along with information on how to use
them. Do not mix other additives.

Also on page 7-9 under normal maintenance:

Normal maintenance schedule
The following maintenance services must be performed to ensure good emission control and performance. Keep
receipts for all vehicle emission services to protect your warranty. Where both mileage and time are shown, the frequency
of service is determined by whichever occurs first.
*1 : If TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is not available, one bottle of additive is recommended. Additives are available
from your authorized HYUNDAI dealer along with information on how to use them. Do not mix other additives.

need4spd

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Ask him to show you in the manual where it says that. Many dealers try to sell extra services. Does it help? Probably not much. Does it hurt? Only your wallet.
@EdP see above, not an injector cleaner, but a bottle of additive.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

skipgen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I just try for 1 good full throttle on ramp pull a couple of times a week...! Might not do much for the 5.0's injectors, but it makes me feel better!

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

glennk

Been here awhile...
Dallas, TX
Do they inject it into the air intake? I'd think that would be the only way to clean the MAF sensor and the intake valves. With this whole EGR / Direct Injection issue, a catch can seems to be the cheapest option to deal with coking. Sadly, my local dealer told me adding a catch can violates the powertrain warranty.

skipgen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Years ago that was the cure to keep the heads from carboning up. Often you'd see a lot of black smoke out the exhaust when you did it. Kept plugs clean between the 10,000 mile changes too.

Does it help in new cars? Who cares, its fun to do.
"Italian Tune Up".

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type

lobsenza

Registered Member
Austin, TX
I have a mechanic I have used for over 20 years. He tells me when he thinks I should perform a service and when I shouldn't. I have had him do a direct injection and air intake cleaning on my Genesis. He recommended it because of the type of the direct injection on the Genesis. He said the direct inection cleaning is harder than cleaning a port injection cleaning. I use top tier gas about 90% of the time. He charges less than 1/3 of what the dealership charges for the same service.

socrbob

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
I have a mechanic I have used for over 20 years. He tells me when he thinks I should perform a service and when I shouldn't. I have had him do a direct injection and air intake cleaning on my Genesis. He recommended it because of the type of the direct injection on the Genesis. He said the direct inection cleaning is harder than cleaning a port injection cleaning. I use top tier gas about 90% of the time. He charges less than 1/3 of what the dealership charges for the same service.
How do you get the automatic rear sunshade?

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums