Fuel Mileage

Tdefrees

Registered Member
Utica, IN
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
With all the randomn discussions around fuel mileage, I've decided to test some results over the next few days as I rack up break-in mileage on my 3.3t. Today was a test using the economy mode with the advanced setting that decouples the transmission during deceleration. I have a 34 mile daily round trip commute with 75% interstate and 25% downtown stop and go traffic. Staying light on the throttle and using cruise, I had a round trip average of 27.8 mpg per the onboard computer. Not sure how accurate the onboard computers are now, but this seems on par with many of the competitors. But I had to be extremely calm and collective to keep my foot from going deeper. Tomorrow, I'll see how it goes with sport mode and reserved "spirited" throttle application. Then, when I'm done, a big glass of bourbon to calm the nerves as I refrain from hammering the throttle for now. What are your tricks to reserve fuel when not having fun?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Toddasaurus

Robots, lasers, dinosaurs.
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I walk. The savings from watching my driving closely are not worth it. I don't cowboy much and 1 mpg is not going to change my life. 1 mpg will save me about 12 gallons a year or 60 cents a week. .

Oh i bet the difference will be much bigger than 1mpg! :3

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Oh i bet the difference will be much bigger than 1mpg! :3
On a serious note...adjusting the different drive modes helps. Sport...forget about it...fuel is drunk. Eco....things tame down. It’s up to you.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Cowtown

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Greater Victoria, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So I had to drive down to Seattle today for work and the first 3rd of the trip I drove in default comfort mode and then switched to Eco for the last 2/3rds to see the difference. In comfort I was sitting pretty steady at 9.7L/100 (24.24MPG), once I switched to Eco within about a an hour my average settled in at 8.8L/100 (26.72MPG). On the highway I didn't notice any issues power wise, using the active cruise control the car pulled back up to speed adequately enough.

Fuel econ aside I do find that while active cruise works well I'd not mind it to be a bit more aggressive about picking back up once a car moves out of the way.

So this is in my AWD 3.3T wearing Michelin winters and driving pretty much averaged out to 100kph with the max at 125 and the lowest for any amount of time around 80. Running 91 Octane and in around -1 to +3 Celsius (around freezing). Car is basically just broken in, I only had about 1500KM when I left.

The numbers are better than what I saw out of my 2,0T SF Sport, and at 8.8 in eco it's about 1L/100 higher than my GTI averages on the highway though I have gotten that car into the low 7's in the right conditions.

danygenesis

Registered Member
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I've played with ECO. Around town I see little difference in performance or mileage. Then I go onto the ramp for the highway and I feel like I'm pedaling hard but the hill is too steep.

Rarely use sport. One reason is at a modest speed on secondary roads, say 40 mpg you are down a gear or two sucking up gas for no good reason. Yeah, it will accelerate faster but wit a line of cars in front of you, makes no difference.
That's exactly my point of view. ECO mpg gain is not worth the loss of power when need it, Sport is on the opposite side. Confort mode gives me a good balance in between for a daily commute.

TOGuy242

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Fuel econ aside I do find that while active cruise works well I'd not mind it to be a bit more aggressive about picking back up once a car moves out of the way.
There is a setting that you can change that makes it more aggressive! Forget what it’s called, but it’s one of the steering wheel menu options.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
That's exactly my point of view. ECO mpg gain is not worth the loss of power when need it, Sport is on the opposite side. Confort mode gives me a good balance in between for a daily commute.
Why not Smart?
I use Eco and Smart. I like Smart cause it makes use of Coasting if in Smart Eco.

danygenesis

Registered Member
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Why not Smart?
I use Eco and Smart. I like Smart cause it makes use of Coasting if in Smart Eco.
Smart could be the other choice but I was afraid the car will work like in Eco mode. I will try it and let you know.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm going to try Smart for the full trip back and compare. I'll post after.
Smart takes a while to learn your driving style and initially it may stick to Eco longer than normal but eventually it will kick into Comfort much faster!

Tdefrees

Registered Member
Utica, IN
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Well, all is true of Sport! :ROFLMAO: Let's just say, my fuel line budget expense was just increased for the future. Wife may lose her spa budget. Wait....strike that....i need a happy wife! Spirited driving in Sport mode resulted in 19.6 mpg over @ 50 miles. This was keeping it below 4k rpm during break-in. All-in-all, I couldn't be any happier with my purchase! Eco is way too soft for me, I'll stick with the comfort mode.

Last edited:

Cowtown

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Greater Victoria, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Well did eco all the way back from Seattle. Bit slower on the return due to impending winter pocalypse in the greater Seattle area. Hit another storm in Bellingham a short ways from the border and dropped right down. Anyways eco by the time I got to the border was down at 8.4L/100. Was quite happy with how it drove and the fuel economy is fine considering. It's not great about town, let's get that right, but highway is more than serviceable.

Econ aside, the car and the Michelin XIce 3 performed awesomely in this storm. A lot of people will laugh at our snowfalls, I know I did when I lived elsewhere but the snow here is different, is often proceeded by rain which freezes and nobody had plows, sand or salt. So what you get is a completely unprepared mass of drivers and zero road prep.

Anyways the G70 did great, I was going places that trucks where going no problem. Tons of people abandoning cars and spinningmout and crashing and I just plugged along back roads and passed people with ease. The AWD works really well, very planted car and yeah these tires are great.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I made a trip of 320 miles this weekend. Cruising at 85-90 mph with a couple of runs to 110 mph. I was driving in Smart mode all the time, consumption on the dash was 24.7 mpg. Now the car is already broken in with 750 miles on the odometer. This car really needs a bigger gas tank.
I agree about the tank size. It's my biggest gripe.
My Acura had a 70L tank and I got 1 weeks worth of gas on it just commuting to work.
The G70 has a 60L tank and in the same boat with the 2.0t. Would love an extra 5L or so!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.