SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Middletown NY
Genesis G70

mks0031

Registered Member
Huntsville, AL
Genesis G70
Sorry if I'm bringing back a topic that has already been discussed. I skimmed this thread, but wanted to get some updated feedback on something I've found odd about the mpg on the G70. I purchased a 3.3 recently and love the car. I want to preface what I'm about to say with the fact that I did not buy this car for fuel efficiency. Honestly, I've been surprised with what it has been able to achieve in both eco and comfort mode, with frequent visits to sport mode. My biggest issue with the fuel efficiency is the variance of what I calculate when I fill up at the pump and what the car reads. I have only used 93 since purchasing the vehicle. I have about a 40% highway/60% city breakdown in my driving. I've only filled up four times, but with my first two fill ups the math didn't seem right on the car, so I decided to track my next two fill ups to see what I got by calculating it at the pump. My last two tanks finished at 25.8 mpg and 26.2 mpg according to the G70. Quick math at the pump showed 20.2 mpg the first time and 20.9 the second. I'm really not concerned with the mpg on this car, but I am surprised by the variance I'm getting from the cars reading and my calculation. Has anyone else run the numbers for their 3.3? If so, did you find a similar result?

Starflyer

Hasn't posted much yet...
Vancouver WA
Genesis G80 Sport
It's been my experience with every car I've owned since 2000 that onboard computed gas mileage is 1.5-2% higher than actual computer gas mileage. This error also also applies to my '18 G80 Sport. My wife's '19 Rav4 Hybrid reads 1.5% high based on a 3500 mile run (Seattle to Phoenix round trip).

Strangely enough, NO car manufacturer wants their computed gas mileage to read LOWER than actual.

Don't know what the G70 3.3T engine recommends for fuel, but my G80 3.3T says regular is fine and that's what I use all the time. When I first bought the car, I went with 93 octane, but after switching to regular, I don't notice any difference with the way I drive in ECO mode 95% of the time. On my G80, the tank holds 20.3 gallons, but I almost always fill up at round 15 gallons. At that quantity, the difference is less than 5 bucks or a bit over 1 latte at Starbucks.

With coronavirus, probably a good time save on going with regular, but for a 55K car, less than 5 bucks a fillup for 93 is mostly meaningless IMHO.

Last edited:

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis G80

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis G70
You are not alone, although the variance you've seen is extreme . My G70 always reads about 2mpg high (close to 10%). My BMWs were always very accurate (within like 0.1mpg), so this is a bit disappointing.

tarhoosier

Registered Member
Charlotte
Genesis G70
Actual for me is about 10% lower than indicated. I have checked several times on several types of driving routes. Always about that difference.
Consumer Reports said they were concerned that the low fuel indicator came on in their example with fewer miles remaining than they would think prudent. Perhaps this is also related to the mileage reading discrepancy.

Starflyer

Hasn't posted much yet...
Vancouver WA
Genesis G80 Sport
You are not alone, although the variance you've seen is extreme . My G70 always reads about 2mpg high (close to 10%). My BMWs were always very accurate (within like 0.1mpg), so this is a bit disappointing.
I had a '99 Pontiac Grand Prix and that car's reported gas mileage was almost always within .1 MPG verses cranking it out by dividing miles by gallons added. The computer also had a readout on gas added that was either exactly right or within a tenth of a gallon. Never delved into the system, but the only way I could see how this kind of accuracy was possible was to measure actual fuel flow through the line.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis G70
I would think that it could be done by having the computer measure the duration of time that each full injector is activated (which would be easy, since it's controlling that), if they have the injectors well characterized and the fuel pressure is well regulated.
It would be interesting to find out how it's done, I'll have to turn to the Google. 😊 Maybe the Engineering Explained guy has a video on it. If I find one I'll post the link.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis G70
The best info I could find in a quick search was this, from Car and Driver:

Modern engines are controlled by computers that calculate how many microliters of fuel to inject into each cylinder per combustion cycle. To determine fuel efficiency, the computer keeps a running total of both the fuel delivered to the engine and the distance driven.Aug 21, 2013

AdriaticBlueG70

Registered Member
Genesis G70
G70 3.3T AWD.

Comfort Mode
12-15 MPG city driving, lots and lots of lights. 18-20 MPG in the suburbs where the distance between lights is longer.
I get about 1 MPG more in ECO, but I hate that mode because if I hit the gas, it feels like the car is weighed down.

On the highway, in Comfort, I get 25 MPG driving around like a madman, downshifting all the time. 22 MPG in Sport mode.
Just Cruising at 70 MPH in Comfort, I get 29-30 MPG, same with ECO mode.

Motor oil also makes a huge difference. On my first free oil change, they put in 5W30 Duramax brand oil. Never heard of it. MPG suffered and the engine sounded like it was ticking louder than normal at idle. After 2k miles, I put in Pennzoil Platinum (the US equivalent of the recommended Shell Helix), and MPG got back up to what the EPA was saying. That's also when I started hitting 29-30 on the highway.

Last edited:

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW, TX
Genesis G70
G70 3.3T AWD.

Comfort Mode
12-15 MPG city driving, lots and lots of lights. 18-20 MPG in the suburbs where the distance between lights is longer.
I get about 1 MPG more in ECO, but I hate that mode because if I hit the gas, it feels like the car is weighed down.

On the highway, in Comfort, I get 25 MPG driving around like a madman, downshifting all the time. 22 MPG in Sport mode.
Just Cruising at 70 MPH in Comfort, I get 29-30 MPG, same with ECO mode.

Motor oil also makes a huge difference. On my first free oil change, they put in 5W30 Duramax brand oil. Never heard of it. MPG suffered and the engine sounded like it was ticking louder than normal at idle. After 2k miles, I put in Pennzoil Platinum (the US equivalent of the recommended Shell Helix), and MPG got back up to what the EPA was saying. That's also when I started hitting 29-30 on the highway.
12-15 around town driving in comfort. Wow. My to and from work in town driving with speeds from 30 to 45, I get pretty consistent 19MPG. I’ve never had 12-15 even if sport mode. I don’t do break-neck starts with the pedal on the floor either....at least not many.

AdriaticBlueG70

Registered Member
Genesis G70
12-15 around town driving in comfort. Wow. My to and from work in town driving with speeds from 30 to 45, I get pretty consistent 19MPG. I’ve never had 12-15 even if sport mode. I don’t do break-neck starts with the pedal on the floor either....at least not many.
Yeah, neither do I. The areas I drive in have a traffic light almost every block, though, so the stop and go is pretty bad.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis G70
Yeah, neither do I. The areas I drive in have a traffic light almost every block, though, so the stop and go is pretty bad.
I'm right there with you. Tons of traffic lights and traffic. I'm averaging about 14-15mpg. Highway, on the other hand, is much better, at about 30mpg.

Riouxgrande

Registered Member
Genesis G70
I'll be taking a short road trip to and from Charleston this weekend (200ish miles one way). If I can bring myself to it, I will try to be respectful of the speed limits and cruise on eco and see what I get. However, my Uniden R3 came in so I will feel more need for speed lol. Either way I will try to remember to share numbers.

FlooF!

Registered Member
Genesis G70
10-13MPG on E30 and 15MPG on 93.
Highway is about 23-24MPG

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums