• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Fuel Mileage

NLJ

Registered Member
Vancouver
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I ran a few tanks of 87 during the winter. Can't say I noticed much difference. But then again it was winter and winter blend gas sucks anyway!

Stevendom1987

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Id save about 10 bucks per fill up. That's a couple grand a year in gas. Plus its convenient because most of the gas stations around me jack up premium so I end up driving a bit out of the way to fill up premium.

Its just nice to know I can throw 89 or 87 in there and the engine wont blow up on me.

Stevendom1987

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
So I got to test out highway mileage on my 2.0t G70 this weekend. I have been getting about 27 mpg just going back and forth to work and running around town using mid grade gas and mostly driving in Comfort mode. So I took a trip this weekend using all Comfort Mode and set my cruise on 80 mph. I got 33.2 mpg. Very pleased with that.
I don't get how this is possible. I get like 22mpg and use 93 gas.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I don't get how this is possible. I get like 22mpg and use 93 gas.
He is using a 2.0. 27mpg in mixed city/hwy is about right, and 33mph strictly on the freeway is also spot on.

You're at 22mpg, but we need more info. Which engine? 3.3? RWD or AWD? City driving, mixed, freeway only?

I've got a 3.3 AWD Sport, mixed driving I can get 22mpg, but only if I drive it very gently and use eco. Keep in mind that this also depends on traffic. Stop and go, you're mileage will drop big time.

Stevendom1987

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
He is using a 2.0. 27mpg in mixed city/hwy is about right, and 33mph strictly on the freeway is also spot on.

You're at 22mpg, but we need more info. Which engine? 3.3? RWD or AWD? City driving, mixed, freeway only?

I've got a 3.3 AWD Sport, mixed driving I can get 22mpg, but only if I drive it very gently and use eco. Keep in mind that this also depends on traffic. Stop and go, you're mileage will drop big time.
2.0 AWD. I guess I do a lot of stop and go traffic since I commute into a major city every day (DC).

BlancaGenny

Been here awhile...
Dayton, OH
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Does anyone use 87 or 89 for gas? I have been strictly using 93 and am starting to think I can go down to 89 and even 87 without issues?? I am on a 3 year lease so frankly I do not really care about long term engine health of the car.

I have a 2.0t and do about 65% city/35% highway driving.
You can safely run 89. Like you said, it's a lease. No need for the good stuff. It's the 2.0T so a decrease in performance will be minimal. You may notice a slightly less smooth idle but nothing to jump out at you.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
2.0 AWD. I guess I do a lot of stop and go traffic since I commute into a major city every day (DC).
Ah, I gotcha. I bet the traffic in your area has got to be a killer on your mileage.. :/

If it makes you feel any better, my mileage in mostly city driving, when driving it like I actually want to, is about 14-16mpg. Haha.

G70girl

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

I drive mine daily to and from work in the ridiculous Phoenix traffic which takes me about 40 minutes to an hour each way. I use the highest gas, premium unleaded (93 I guess?) and drive it in ECO mode while on the freeway. I have been averaging about 23-24 mpg which isn’t too bad. Of course around town I drive it in Comfort or Sport Mode and it drops to about 18-21mpg or so. I am filling up pretty often but expected that with this awesome engine! I have the 3.3, RWD.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

G70girl

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
ECO mode on the freeway does nothing for you. If you are cruising at 50, 60, or 70, the car is in top gear. Not much more you can do. The big saving would be around town where it lowers shift point and softens the pedal, about opposite of Sport.
I wish I was cruising that fast on the freeway during rush hour.!! That would be awesome!! Unfortunately I am going about 5-10 miles per hour in rush hour with stop and go the entire time so ECO seems to help a little with the gas mileage.

clark1566

Registered Member
Savannah, Ga.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Out of curiosity, I tired using 93 Octane gas when I filled up this week. I usually use mid grade gas (89 octane). I haven't noticed any difference in gas mileage. The car does seem to idle a tiny bit smoother and there might be a very slight difference in performance. But it's not enough that I would run 93 octane all the time. If I had the 3.3t engine I would definitely run 93 octane. But for the 2.0t engine I don't think it makes that much of a difference. For reference, my last car was a 2016 Sonata 2.0t Sport. Basically the same engine but front wheel drive. I ran mid grade in it the whole time I owned it and never had an issue.

NLJ

Registered Member
Vancouver
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Out of curiosity, I tired using 93 Octane gas when I filled up this week. I usually use mid grade gas (89 octane). I haven't noticed any difference in gas mileage. The car does seem to idle a tiny bit smoother and there might be a very slight difference in performance. But it's not enough that I would run 93 octane all the time. If I had the 3.3t engine I would definitely run 93 octane. But for the 2.0t engine I don't think it makes that much of a difference. For reference, my last car was a 2016 Sonata 2.0t Sport. Basically the same engine but front wheel drive. I ran mid grade in it the whole time I owned it and never had an issue.
Not the same engine. A different variant of the same Theta-II. Every variant has slight differences and more importantly different ECU mappings in conjunction with their associated transmissions.
Take a look at all the Theta-II variants and see what RPM the torque kicks in. Some are 1,400 and the others are higher.

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
ECO mode on the freeway does nothing for you. If you are cruising at 50, 60, or 70, the car is in top gear. Not much more you can do. The big saving would be around town where it lowers shift point and softens the pedal, about opposite of Sport.
You have posted this before and it is not true. The eco mode is the only mode that will decouple the engine from the transmission during coasting on the highway to increase mileage. Now I am sure it is very minimal but it is a difference.

Maybe the G80 is different and doesn't have that feature but on the G70 Eco mode should save some fuel.

NLJ

Registered Member
Vancouver
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
You have posted this before and it is not true. The eco mode is the only mode that will decouple the engine from the transmission during coasting on the highway to increase mileage. Now I am sure it is very minimal but it is a difference.

Maybe the G80 is different and doesn't have that feature but on the G70 Eco mode should save some fuel.
Smart-Eco can decouple as well.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums