Fuel Mileage

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
You have posted this before and it is not true. The eco mode is the only mode that will decouple the engine from the transmission during coasting on the highway to increase mileage. Now I am sure it is very minimal but it is a difference.

Maybe the G80 is different and doesn't have that feature but on the G70 Eco mode should save some fuel.
This.

Also, ECO mode is going to use more conservative camshaft timing, ignition timing, and AFR control than other modes. That said, if you compare driving on the freeway at 75mph in 8th gear on the same stretch of road, and do a run on ECO and Sport modes to compare, ECO mode WILL actually get better mileage, all other things being equal.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
This.

Also, ECO mode is going to use more conservative camshaft timing, ignition timing, and AFR control than other modes. That said, if you compare driving on the freeway at 75mph in 8th gear on the same stretch of road, and do a run on ECO and Sport modes to compare, ECO mode WILL actually get better mileage, all other things being equal.
Has anyone done it? Would be good to have real numbers over theory.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Has anyone done it? Would be good to have real numbers over theory.
I suppose I need to back up my claims with my own testing. Now if I can just find a highway that isn't so full of traffic...

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Can't you just "enable coasting" in the menu to have it work in Sport/Standard? If Eco changes timing, then it'll still likely get better mileage, but the gap would be closer
Coasting works *only* in ECO or Smart modes. It even says so in the menu setting. Would be kind of cool to see it as an option for other drive modes.

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Could you please elaborate? Lately I found myself using Smart mode almost all the time. I like how it works, almost Sport when driving aggressively and almost Eco when driving slow. SMART right?
I find it is too delayed switching to sport. I find I am smarter at knowing what I want and when I want it. For example if there is a great 270 degree ramp that is coming up that I want to take really fast, I don't want the system changing settings part way through as it goes "oh shit he wants sport now". Plus I like the sport settings with the comfort suspension due to the roads here and smart would never do that so therefore I find it fairly useless.

Soma

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I find it is too delayed switching to sport. I find I am smarter at knowing what I want and when I want it. For example if there is a great 270 degree ramp that is coming up that I want to take really fast, I don't want the system changing settings part way through as it goes "oh shit he wants sport now". Plus I like the sport settings with the comfort suspension due to the roads here and smart would never do that so therefore I find it fairly useless.
It seems like you're driving your car in custom, so not exactly comparable, right? Obviously a tune that you set would be preferable to someone guessing at what you want. I think the point of smart is more to move between eco and comfort rather than eco and sport. I drove it in smart for a bit yesterday and it was nice that when i wanted the engine to give me a little more pep (not flat out), it didn't just give me the finger like eco does.

danygenesis

Registered Member
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I drive in Sport only 10% of the time when I'm running with somebody or when I'm in spirit driving mood because in Sport or Custom with Sport the G70 is a gas guzzler. In Eco my car becomes too slow and unresponsive. For a daily driver I prefer the Samrt.

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Interesting. I am in custom probably 90% of the time. 5% sport, and 5% eco. I will only use the eco in the freeway with little traffic and cruise on. Otherwise it is custom (which is all sport settings but suspension) all the time as I hate the throttle response in smart or comfort. I don't find the fuel economy bad.

Soma

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Interesting. I am in custom probably 90% of the time. 5% sport, and 5% eco. I will only use the eco in the freeway with little traffic and cruise on. Otherwise it is custom (which is all sport settings but suspension) all the time as I hate the throttle response in smart or comfort. I don't find the fuel economy bad.
Interestingly enough, I was in some moderate traffic yesterday and was watching my fuel economy drop in eco and then subsequently rise after switching to sport for a little bit.

Edit: For clarity, I was in smart on the way to work, the above statement was about my drive home. ~25 miles each way

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
One thing I have noticed about gas mileage with this car. It takes a lot of self discipline to get good gas mileage! My foot gets REAL heavy driving this thing. The car seems to be at it's best when you drive it hard. :cool:
Agreed. Seriously. Recently I've been averaging 17mpg mixed driving because I have to prove to these SUV's and huge ass trucks that they simply aren't fast, and they need to have their pride smashed again and again by being shut down by an actual road car designed for roads that we all drive on.

Soma

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Agreed. Seriously. Recently I've been averaging 17mpg mixed driving because I have to prove to these SUV's and huge ass trucks that they simply aren't fast, and they need to have their pride smashed again and again by being shut down by an actual road car designed for roads that we all drive on.
#Murica

vicmdv

Registered Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
MPGs aside, could someone provide info on the actual miles driven on a full tank before the low fuel warning light turns on (for both 2.0/3.3)?
Does it match the calculated value based on the 15.8gal tank capacity - 1gal fuel reserve = 14.8gal x averageMPG?
Thanks

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
MPGs aside, could someone provide info on the actual miles driven on a full tank before the low fuel warning light turns on (for both 2.0/3.3)?
Does it match the calculated value based on the 15.8gal tank capacity - 1gal fuel reserve = 14.8gal x averageMPG?
Thanks
Reserve tank is ~10% + the listed capacity!
It's been that way in every car I have owned.

vicmdv

Registered Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Reserve tank is ~10% + the listed capacity!
It's been that way in every car I have owned.
You're right, it's more than a gallon. I am not sure where I got it but always thought you could go at least another 30 miles or so after the light turns on.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
You're right, it's more than a gallon. I am not sure where I got it but always thought you could go at least another 30 miles or so after the light turns on.
The most I have driven after it said 0km left was about 54km.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Did you actually run out of fuel at 54 km? It's probably not good for the engine...
Nope. It was basically to the gas station. Pretty sure I could have done 70km or more.
I don't have a heavy foot. Also the fuel pump is what would be of concern. Not the engine.