Fuel Mileage

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
How often does it decouple and coast at a constant speed? Maybe on a downgrade, certainly not coasting up hill. How much of a difference have you seen in the actual mpg?
Your theory sounds good, but what are the numbers? How much does the rpm change?
The G80 is different. On the G70 you can Coast uphill. You can Coast while passing as well. It deactivates at a certain incline and decline angle.
I can get 6.7L/100km with Eco and only 7.1L/100km on Smart and 7.5L/100km on Comfort!

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
We're going on a small road trip this weekend (Sunday) and I'm planning on seeing if I can compare similar stretches of road back to back using sport, vs comfort, vs eco - all without using cruise control, and staying at the same speed.

I'll post my results. It won't be a perfect test by any means, but hopefully it will give us more info.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I assume coasting uphill is to take your foot off the gas and reduce speed..

Translated to US terms that is 35.1, 33.1, 31.3 MPG. I assume those numbers are on the same route and under similar traffic conditions.
Same route. I drive 140km a day round trip for work. All monitored on the return trip. Traffic is the same everyday since it is country roads.
It reduces speed if you let go while going uphill. I normally get past whatever speed I want and Coast down to the minimum speed I want to be at.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Same route. I drive 140km a day round trip for work. All monitored on the return trip. Traffic is the same everyday since it is country roads.
It reduces speed if you let go while going uphill. I normally get past whatever speed I want and Coast down to the minimum speed I want to be at.

There ya go. Better MPG in ECO when on country roads. According to your results, over 10% better with ECO vs Comfort!

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
That is a pretty good difference. I'd still like to see the difference on a highway cruise at a constant speed like you would do on a long trip. With more city driving you may even beat the 10% a bit

I'm down with that. Hopefully I can give us additional info on my upcoming trip. Would you like to see the comparison with cruise control on? Or should I just drive the old fashioned way? I'll be doing Comfort vs ECO.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

jeffny

long Island, ny
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
My dealer relates that the car does better with smart mode than any other mode. He relates that it learns your driving style and does better gas mileage which seems to hold true for my car, but I'm not sure if it's all BS

orogenesis

Registered Member
Oklahoma
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
My dealer relates that the car does better with smart mode than any other mode. He relates that it learns your driving style and does better gas mileage which seems to hold true for my car, but I'm not sure if it's all BS
I would feel better about being in SMART mode if there was a bit more information from Genesis about what makes it smart and how adaptive it is. For instance does it adapt over multiple trips, or does it reset after every drive?

Soma

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I would feel better about being in SMART mode if there was a bit more information from Genesis about what makes it smart and how adaptive it is. For instance does it adapt over multiple trips, or does it reset after every drive?
Same. I'm thinking that by that logic it would have some issues if it got used to your regular driving style (aka in traffic for me) but then you throw it a curve ball (someone else drives, you drive more spiritedly, etc)

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It adapts to your driving style and does it fairly quickly.
So before my first service appointment, my Smart profile in terms of aggressiveness was between Eco & Smart. After my service appointment where they updated the ECU and most likely reset everything, it is way more aggressive. Kicks into Smart-Comfort is quicker.
Most likely cause the person that picked up my car drove a little more aggressively on the almost 70km drive back to me. And most likely also cause the ECU was tweaked a bit cause the work order said the update was to improve engine performance!

Last edited:

jeffny

long Island, ny
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Same. I'm thinking that by that logic it would have some issues if it got used to your regular driving style (aka in traffic for me) but then you throw it a curve ball (someone else drives, you drive more spiritedly, etc)
I totally agree but he relayed that it learns my driving style but how?

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
i averaged 7.5l/100km (31mpg US) over a 350km road trip this weekend. ~110-125km/h (70-80mph) with a few bursts at higher speed, 4 people plus some gear in trunk, A/C on half the time.

i was impressed to see over 30mpg.
6.6L/100km was the lowest I have had but turned into 6.7L when I stopped to turn into my street.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
That is pretty impressive! I assume it's 2.0T
^ yes, 6MT 2.0T sport.

gearing seems a bit short for my liking. 100km/h is at ~2250rpm. i'd prefer a touch lower. i was at ~2750rpm @ 125km/h. no issues with droning or excess engine noise, but with the torque on tap i figured longer gearing would be doable.