• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Functioning Hood Vent Mod?

docmarc1

Hasn't posted much yet...
Chicago
Has anyone replaced the fake hood vents with an actual functioning vent? I know their are nice carbon fiber patent vents available. DO they help with engine temp? can they cause problems?? any ideas/experiences?

66nexus

Been here awhile...
Wouldn't the vents be the exit method (since air would be coming in from the front grill)? I've considered adding vents to my car (sedan) because the V8 gets damned hot.

G-586882

I just drilled wholes in the stock hood vents and it does help run my car a little cooler

SVonhof

Central Vally, Ca
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Coupe (2009-2016)
My car has the aftermarket carbon vents from Import Shark:
.Hood Vents (v2), importshark.com

If you wanted to put those on, it would be very easy to (after removing the stock fake vents), mark the hood liner and cut out holes in there to allow the air to flow. I have considered doing it to mine, but would also want to paint the inside of the hood under the vents as it is white.

Here is an image of mine close-up so you can see what I am talking about. Looks like I will have to remove and re-install as the drivers side vent is not situated correctly and the thin portion is loose

Last edited:

gennimylove

Genesis Model Type
Do they come with the plumbing to get the air anywhere useful, or just open up to the inside of the hood?

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
So all these homemade mods basically allow rain, muddy water, soap from car washes to enter the engine bay. Yeah that makes perfect sense.

Last edited:

gennimylove

Genesis Model Type
So all these homemade mods basically allow rain, muddy water, soap from car washes enter the engine bay, that makes perfect sense.
That's kinda what I was thinking. It would be cool to have functioning hood inlets that actually did something but just a hole in the hood, hmm..................

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
If Genesis thought their engine needed to run 10 degrees cooler, then they would have made the vents so that air could blow through them in the PROPER way. The engine doesn't need the 10 degree adjustment that some web forum guy thinks he figured out. All you're going to do is make for a messy and dirtier engine, not to mention introduce possible problems down the road when the dirt or water finds it's way into a electrical part etc.

Think people, think before ya mess with your car (or any other object).

gennimylove

Genesis Model Type
If Genesis thought their engine needed to run 10 degrees cooler, then they would have made the vents so that air could blow through them in the PROPER way. The engine doesn't need the 10 degree adjustment that some web forum guy thinks he figured out. All you're going to do is make for a messy and dirtier engine, not to mention introduce possible problems down the road when the dirt or water finds it's way into a electrical part etc.

Think people, think before ya mess with your car (or any other object).
Well put!1450.jpeg

Faux vents look great!

gennimylove

Genesis Model Type
But where is the fun in that? ;)
You're right, it is fun to do your car the way you want. That is the whole drive behind tuning. All I'm saying is, like Alfer said, open holes in a hood is gonna let dirt and debris get where ya don't want it. Yes, engines get wet and they get dirty but that is engineered into the way you get it. If your gonna go with that style of hood scoops maybe just direct it somewhere instead of anywhere.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums