G70 2.0 vs. 3.3T

Imwithafriend

Registered Member
I have yet to test drive either version of the G70 but I was hoping to get input from those who have driven both cars. The vast majority of owners/lessees on this forum seem to be 3.3T drivers and the wow factor and comparison to competitors is usually expressed by 3.3T drivers. I'm curious what those drivers think of the 2.0 as compared to the 3.3T (and other cars in the segment). Is the adulation reserved for the 3.3T? Is the 2.0 a good value? For me, the 3.3T may be out of my price range, so I want to get a sense of what I would be giving up if I go with a 2.0. Thanks for your thoughts.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have yet to test drive either version of the G70 but I was hoping to get input from those who have driven both cars. The vast majority of owners/lessees on this forum seem to be 3.3T drivers and the wow factor and comparison to competitors is usually expressed by 3.3T drivers. I'm curious what those drivers think of the 2.0 as compared to the 3.3T (and other cars in the segment). Is the adulation reserved for the 3.3T? Is the 2.0 a good value? For me, the 3.3T may be out of my price range, so I want to get a sense of what I would be giving up if I go with a 2.0. Thanks for your thoughts.
I've driven both and the V6 feels less turbo since the Lambda was already a pretty potent engine pre-turbo. I know cause it hauls on our 2019 Sorento SXL.
The 2.0T will feel more turbo. While lot of people say it has turbo lag, that may be true moreso for the 6MT but on the AT, it kicks in nice. With a JB4, you feel the lag more, but man is it fun cause when it kicks in, it hauls ass. Especially in Eco when the car is feeling lazy to downshift and them BAM!
Again the V6 would be more fun if you like racing people at the lights, have extra power on tap, and would like a fast 0-60 or 1/4 mile car.
The 2.0T is more nimble and feels nice at fast turns with less understeer.
But I think in the end of the day if comparing AT to AT, it's if you want to save some money on fuel or not. I only use my car for work so I don't really drive it for leisure. Only drove it one day all last week since I'm off for the summer.
Sometimes I wonder if I should have gotten the V6, but I hate visiting the gas pump and the fuel tank size was one of the deterrents.
If you need a stick, then you don't have a choice.

clark1566

Registered Member
Savannah, Ga.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have a 2.0t and I guess the best way I can describe the difference is this. The 2.0t feels more like a refined touring car where as the 3.3t feels like a speeding ticket waiting to happen. I never find myself wanting for power in my car. And since my elderly parents live 175 miles away I need the gas mileage more than the power. But if you are an aggressive driver and love push a car hard, you can't go wrong with the 3.3t.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Is the adulation reserved for the 3.3T? Is the 2.0 a good value? For me, the 3.3T may be out of my price range, so I want to get a sense of what I would be giving up if I go with a 2.0. Thanks for your thoughts.
The 2.0 is very adequate. The 3.3 is more fun if you like to stomp on it once in a while.
If I was single and younger, the only way to go is the 3.3. More mature and sensible, I'd not spend the extra just to peel away at stoplights.

Let's say your commute to work is a half hour with the 2.0. If you spent the money for the 3.3 your commute would probably be 30 minutes. You still have to stop at lights and can pull away only as fast as the car in front of you. If highway traffic is crawling at 15 mph or moving at 70, either engine works.

Buy what you can afford. Either one works well but not worth going into hock you must give up other fun things for.

daviderle

Registered Member
If I was few years younger and still had time to make it to the track every so often, it would be without a doubt the 2.0T manual, modify the day lights out of it, then enjoy it every single day....
However today, if I was in the market , for everyday use the 3.3T Design in Green, or the Dynamic would just do nicely...

No matter... at least I still dabble here and there, when time permits (admittedly in the virtual world)...

Granted not the same! but with 120” 4K, 11.2 surround system, at times it does get intense, pushing the limits to keep my instincts sharp, without having to worry about putting anyone in danger...

You could always wait untill the end of the year, then pick a lightly used 3.3T for the price of a new 2.0T...

Good luck with your hunt...:verydrunk:

Soma

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Don't drive the 3.3t and you won't know what you're missing. Problem solved.

If I were you, I would cross shop everything you're interested in within your price range and make your decision from there. Everyone will have a subjective opinion on if the value is there or not. That's what I did for everything that competes with the 3.3t (haven't driven the 2.0)

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Winnipeg
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

If I were you, I would cross shop everything you're interested in within your price range and make your decision from there. Everyone will have a subjective opinion on if the value is there or not. That's what I did for everything that competes with the 3.3t (haven't driven the 2.0)
Good advise!

I drove the 2.0t first and thought it was a great car, with plenty of power! Then I drove the 3.3T and absolutely had to have it. The advantage to the 2.0 is the lighter front end, which gives it a bit quicker initial turn in... much like the engine difference, you only know if you've tried them both.

If you get the 2.0 and want more power, just get a JB4!

broervudu

Registered Member
SF Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have a 2.0t and I guess the best way I can describe the difference is this. The 2.0t feels more like a refined touring car where as the 3.3t feels like a speeding ticket waiting to happen. I never find myself wanting for power in my car. And since my elderly parents live 175 miles away I need the gas mileage more than the power. But if you are an aggressive driver and love push a car hard, you can't go wrong with the 3.3t.
I own 3.3 Sport per sig below. I test drove the 2.0 6MT twice and had a 2.0T (Elite package auto) loaner for 6 days or so.

(2.0 MT) The manual version felt fun and capable, you want to give it a little extra... go ahead and row the gears to your delight.
(2.0 Auto) I like how Clark describes it above , yes it's refined and well behaved, (the auto stop/start drove me nuts though). I didn't bother to really push it in any fashion, it was a brand new loaner, probably would get sold, so I took care and drove it normally the time I had it.
(3.3) ... unlimited...

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

This!
I drove the 2.0 and truly it would have easily been more than enough. I got the 3.3 and love it. But would have been happy with the 2.0. It is a great car.

danygenesis

Registered Member
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I take it the 3.3 Lambda engine has a long history in other hyundai vehicles?

Ruissimo

Registered Member
Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Today I learned: My 2014 Santa Fe had a Lambda II GDi 3.3L engine, which was good for about 294HP, if I remember correctly.

My new 2019 G70 has a Lambda II T-GDi 3.3L Turbo engine, good for 365 ponies.

Pretty cool!

Last edited:

RTK

Registered Member
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
For me, the 3.3T may be out of my price range, so I want to get a sense of what I would be giving up if I go with a 2.0. Thanks for your thoughts.
Well, you could always look up R_Spec and see if he can he can hook you up with a Circle A plan on a 3.3T. Might help bridge the gap between the 2.0 and 3.3T. Just saying... 😜

I understand the 2.0 drives well and is plenty peppy enough for 90% of your driving. I don’t use the power on my 3.3T very often. Most of the time, I’m just cruising along to work and back, and the 2.0 would easily accomplish that and more.

Soma

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Well, you could always look up R_Spec and see if he can he can hook you up with a Circle A plan on a 3.3T. Might help bridge the gap between the 2.0 and 3.3T. Just saying... 😜

I understand the 2.0 drives well and is plenty peppy enough for 90% of your driving. I don’t use the power on my 3.3T very often. Most of the time, I’m just cruising along to work and back, and the 2.0 would easily accomplish that and more.
Insurance cost is likely measurably higher on the 3.3t though. If you do go this route, factor that into the decision.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Insurance cost is likely measurably higher on the 3.3t though. If you do go this route, factor that into the decision.
The 2.0T is pretty high too. Higher compared to my 3.7L Acura TL.
But apparently they have to reliability data to go on since it is a first year model so it cost more!

ninjastar687

Registered Member
New Jersey, USA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The 2.0T is pretty high too. Higher compared to my 3.7L Acura TL.
But apparently they have to reliability data to go on since it is a first year model so it cost more!
Yep! My insurance went up by (coming from a 2016 Tucson Ultimate, AWD) $50 per month on my 2.0T... You'd think I got the 3.3T!

Ruissimo

Registered Member
Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yep! My insurance went up by (coming from a 2016 Tucson Ultimate, AWD) $50 per month on my 2.0T... You'd think I got the 3.3T!
Mine went up $125 bucks every six months, coming from a MINI Countryman S ALL4. Not bad!

maxsilver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have a 2.0T automatic loaner today as my 3.3T Sport is at the dealer getting the windshield replaced. The power is adequate for normal driving but I find it totally drains the excitement out of driving the car compared to what I'm used to. In the 3.3 when you floor it you experience an addictive surge of acceleration that pulls you back in your seat. In the 2.0 there is none of that surge. I did find I enjoy the exhaust note more than the 3.3.