• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

G70 3.3T Sport Slides When Shifting from Reverse to Drive

Hellothere

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Not sure if this is an issue or not as I have not experienced this in any other car I’ve driven. Recently, when I am in Reverse and I shift to Drive my car continues backwards before driving again. (Kinda feels like when you are stopped on a steep hill and need to drive again, it’s that kind of slipping feeling.) I get this mostly when I’m parallel parking as that is when I’m shifting R to D to R, etc... Even on flat ground it does this. I do a full stop before shifting and my brake is fully depressed. I have fixed it at times when I take a full second to wait between each shift, but when I shift faster the sliding comes back. This issue only started recently as before even with shifting faster no slides were experienced. Is this something I should be concerned about?

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Not sure if this is an issue or not as I have not experienced this in any other car I’ve driven. Recently, when I am in Reverse and I shift to Drive my car continues backwards before driving again. (Kinda feels like when you are stopped on a steep hill and need to drive again, it’s that kind of slipping feeling.) I get this mostly when I’m parallel parking as that is when I’m shifting R to D to R, etc... Even on flat ground it does this. I do a full stop before shifting and my brake is fully depressed. I have fixed it at times when I take a full second to wait between each shift, but when I shift faster the sliding comes back. This issue only started recently as before even with shifting faster no slides were experienced. Is this something I should be concerned about?
Something sounds...broke. Dealer visit

Hellothere

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Something sounds...broke. Dealer visit
Dang, I was hoping not to make a trip to the dealership. Closest one is about 200km, ~100 miles away. So far I’ve had bad experiences with them here in Ontario, Canada. Dealerships do not follow manual guidelines. For example, maintenance in manual says rotate tires every 10,000km. Dealerships are given a different manual to follow. I’ve called and emailed HQ and they said to follow manual. I’ve shown up in person at dealerships to show my manual and no help from dealerships (2 different ones) nor HQ. So now I try to avoid service by Genesis as much as possible.

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Dang, I was hoping not to make a trip to the dealership. Closest one is about 200km, ~100 miles away. So far I’ve had bad experiences with them here in Ontario, Canada. Dealerships do not follow manual guidelines. For example, maintenance in manual says rotate tires every 10,000km. Dealerships are given a different manual to follow. I’ve called and emailed HQ and they said to follow manual. I’ve shown up in person at dealerships to show my manual and no help from dealerships (2 different ones) nor HQ. So now I try to avoid service by Genesis as much as possible.
sorry youre dealing with that. maybe some others from Canada on here can help you out if you post a specific thread looking for a good dealership to travel to. Regardless, better to get it looked at asap before something breaks worse or causes an accident. You can do your own tire rotations at home if you have that much issue with it :p to give you some perspective, those of us in the US are arguing with our dealers about using the specified oil in the manual as they try to cheap out on the bottom of the barrel stuff for us

Hellothere

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
sorry youre dealing with that. maybe some others from Canada on here can help you out if you post a specific thread looking for a good dealership to travel to. Regardless, better to get it looked at asap before something breaks worse or causes an accident. You can do your own tire rotations at home if you have that much issue with it :p to give you some perspective, those of us in the US are arguing with our dealers about using the specified oil in the manual as they try to cheap out on the bottom of the barrel stuff for us
Thanks. Ya, I feel for the US. The rotation I did myself, just really annoying that a luxury brand would have such bad service. I know they've been really dropping the ball in the US

Truck Norris

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
@Hellothere Where are you located? Ballpark? I thought Canadian dealers were all stellar, being incredibly biased by the only Atlantic Canadian dealer who is just... awesome.

Hellothere

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
@Hellothere Where are you located? Ballpark? I thought Canadian dealers were all stellar, being incredibly biased by the only Atlantic Canadian dealer who is just... awesome.
Toronto region is where I had issues. I suppose it's not their fault 100% as they were following what Genesis gave them. However, I did show them my manual, told them to clarify with HQ. Which both dealerships have not done. I then called HQ 2 twice with no follow-up, emailed them twice with no follow-up, so I'm just really just done with the customer service.

What makes me distrust the 2 dealerships in Toronto is that when I pointed their mistakes out, they started to lie. Let's stick to the tire rotation thing. Small issue, but my main concern was because my steering wheel tilts to the right. After my first servicing I called (because the valet service) why wheels werent rotated as per manual. The mechanic tells me they are staggered so they can't be rotated. I tell her that side-to-side can still be done. She then says, "oh yeah you're right, but your tires are directional." I tell her the Michelin sport 4 are not directional. She then says well you don't need it anyways. So I ask to talk to the Experience Manager and learn Genesis has given them a different maintenance guide to follow than the one in the owner's manual. I then called HQ to clarify this and was told that they would fix this discrepancy. They told me they would follow-up, but have not done so in the past 2 months.

The second dealership was for my update on the 2020 power trunk lock feature (Finally it arrives, last week). I'm dealing with the assistant manager and I point out that my manual says to do certain maintenance things that were missed. He tells me, "your manual is wrong because Canada has better driving conditions so you don't need to follow the manual, your manual is for worse conditions." I correct him and say that the manual does specify that and it's called severe driving conditions and actually states you need to do more things then less. Canada definitely falls under more frequent rather than less. I then specifically tell him about tire rotations and point to it in my manual. He tells me I'm the first Genesis owner to point this out to him (this surprised me that I'm the first to notice they are not following the manual) and goes to get the maintenance schedule he was given by Genesis the same one the first dealership had told me about.

So both dealerships were following a guideline at least, but really didn't know what they were talking about. They then started to lie to me about it, which really bugged me. If you don't know something just own up to it, not make up lies. And when I showed them my manual and told them to contact Genesis to clarify this situation neither dealership did so.

Last edited:

Truck Norris

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Ok, so home after work and our mandatory two beef Friday (2BF) lol so take everything I say here with a grain of salt.

Bluntly put, I believe you are overreacting and expecting too much from a dealership. This is based solely on what you have typed, however I was not there I and I know what you are saying is not representative of everything that has happened.

Issue #1 - Tire Rotation = My comment on this is Who the F!@#$ cares. Tire rotation is and can be important however I didn't expect this under the courtesy/included maintenance and you shouldn't either. If you want it done, ask for it, and pay for it. It will be like $50 tops. I love this car and am involved deeply with everything regarding maintenance and longevity and I cannot even confirm if the tires are directional without going outside to look, and I wouldn't expect generic dealer staff to know. Either way, least of my concerns, theoretically if I did not address this I would assume whoever changes my winter tires back to the PS4's would rotate them if they were able to be changed left to right.

Issue#2 -
...my manual says to do certain maintenance things that were missed.
Can you elaborate here? Sounds like you are asking for the severe maintenance schedule (police use, taxi use, fleet use, etc.) without looking at the manual myself.

Overall your dealership "issues" sound like the least concerning dealership issues I've ever heard of and are more an issue of clarification/education/knowledge of the car and requirements which can be expected of dealership staff servicing many models/cars.

I know this was blunt, and likely critical, however I don't think "escalating" things up the later to Genesis is going to help any here. Remember you have to deal with these dealers for the duration of your warranty. I'd rather not sweat the little stuff and piss them off, right or wrong.

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Can you elaborate here? Sounds like you are asking for the severe maintenance schedule (police use, taxi use, fleet use, etc.) without looking at the manual myself.
Not to comment on what you actually said about everything else but severe use as defined by our manuals are actually pretty common conditions and nothing like fleet use. Something as simple as not driving many miles per day can put you in the severe category if I remember correctly

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Hellothere

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Ok, so home after work and our mandatory two beef Friday (2BF) lol so take everything I say here with a grain of salt.

Bluntly put, I believe you are overreacting and expecting too much from a dealership. This is based solely on what you have typed, however I was not there I and I know what you are saying is not representative of everything that has happened.

Issue #1 - Tire Rotation = My comment on this is Who the F!@#$ cares. Tire rotation is and can be important however I didn't expect this under the courtesy/included maintenance and you shouldn't either. If you want it done, ask for it, and pay for it. It will be like $50 tops. I love this car and am involved deeply with everything regarding maintenance and longevity and I cannot even confirm if the tires are directional without going outside to look, and I wouldn't expect generic dealer staff to know. Either way, least of my concerns, theoretically if I did not address this I would assume whoever changes my winter tires back to the PS4's would rotate them if they were able to be changed left to right.

Issue#2 -

Overall your dealership "issues" sound like the least concerning dealership issues I've ever heard of and are more an issue of clarification/education/knowledge of the car and requirements which can be expected of dealership staff servicing many models/cars.

I know this was blunt, and likely critical, however I don't think "escalating" things up the later to Genesis is going to help any here. Remember you have to deal with these dealers for the duration of your warranty. I'd rather not sweat the little stuff and piss them off, right or wrong.
Yup, I agree the car is great. I'm coming from a perspective of if you can't do the small things correctly, how do I trust you can do the complicated things. Yes I agree tire rotation is a simple thing, and that's exactly the point. If the mechanics who are the ones working on my car don't understand basic tire setups, how do I know they have done other things correctly? You may be correct that I am expecting too much, but that is because I want the brand to do well. I am only trying to have them follow the standard laid out by the manufacturer, I'm not asking for more. By having a standard this helps ensure, constant, quality service.

The other thing is if they did not know, they should have just stated that, but instead kept making more things up. This makes me quite wary and be distrustful.

As for the Maintenance Under Severe Usage Conditions. I try to better explain what happened. At the dealership when I started talking about maintenance intervals listed in the manual the assistant manager did not know about it. When I referred to the normal usage such as oil change, tire rotation, air filter, etc at 10k. He started talking about how that is too early, made for harsher use, and that the manual was made for other countries, not Canada. He said in Canada some things are at 20k. I then explained to him I believed he was referring to severe usage and showed him the section. Funny thing is it shows to change things at 5k, half of what he thought was severe usage. Thats when he admitted it was the first time someone had pointed this out to him.

How it's supposed to work is only Genesis Technicians are supposed to work on Genesis vehicles. My intention isn't to escalate and put blame on people. My intention is to educate and make sure these things don't happen again. Like I said, I want Genesis to do well, yes it's small issues, but the small things are what matters. Everything on the maintenance guide I can do myself yes, but that's not the point. If there exists a standard it should be followed.

All that being said, perhaps you're right and I'm overthinking. I've also attached a screenshot of what qualifies as Maintenance Under Severe Usage Conditions

Attachments

Last edited:

Hellothere

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
is it actually going into Drive from Reverse, or is it slipping into neutral.

with the new gimmicky button shifter garbage the G80 has, when going from reverse to drive if the car is not at a full and complete stop AND your foot is on the brake, it goes into neutral until the car comes to a complete stop then it registers Drive.

I've experienced the same thing you have, and discovered this was the reason, I actually watched the dash indicator go into neutral as I was still rolling backward, once I jerked down on the brake and made the car stop, it went into drive.

seems the computer doesn't like to shift from Reverse to Drive or Drive to Reverse if the car is moving at all.
I was actually thinking the same thing as I read on here in another post this was happening. So to test this, I slammed on the brakes to ensure (1.Brake is fully depressed 2.Car is stopped fully) and still that slide occurred from the quick shift. I'll check for the dash to see if it's indicating the Neutral thing. Thanks!

Truck Norris

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
@Hellothere Great response, detail etc. I'll update my thoughts/opinion in the AM but I think you have a valid point. Sounds like the dealer is trying to save some money or worse niave about the maintenance requirements of the car. Disappointing as there are so few in Ontario (grew up in Peterborough).

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
sounds like some quality control issues on the transmission, the leaking turbo hose I will say was likely a result of the reassembly during the transmission service, not likely an issue with the car, more with the service tech not checking things out before returning.
I seem to remember someone else in the forum found a loose intake hose on a turbo.

Gnarlly

Registered Member
Maryland
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
sounds like some quality control issues on the transmission, the leaking turbo hose I will say was likely a result of the reassembly during the transmission service, not likely an issue with the car, more with the service tech not checking things out before returning.
Agreed. But the likelihood that the service tech was negligent and the mentioned oil-stained seats do not speak well of service for a luxury brand.

I just hit 5000 miles recently and decided to perform my own oil and filter change (easy with the 2.0 engine and I already had some homemade ramps). I could have called for the valet service and let Hyundai/Genesis service my vehicle but things like this worry me. Plus the fact mine is a 6MT and from my experience at my particular Hyundai dealership, only a small number of their staff know how to drive a manual transmission, and some who say the can may actually not have much real experience.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think it was Todd with his crazy rebuild. But I'd put money on a negligent service tech in the situation described in the Motortrend article.
I thought it was Todd also, but I thought it was before his turbo rebuild. Didn't he warn others to check these hoses if they heard a leaking air sound?

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums