• AWD

Votes: 43 67.2%

• Total voters

Toddasaurus

Robots, lasers, dinosaurs.
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Just curious what everyone here is planning on, or why they chose what they did. That said, what do you think? AWD, RWD? Please explain the motivation behind your decision here.

devellis

Been here awhile...
North Carolina
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Whatever car I get will likely be AWD. Having had it on my present car and my wife's last three cars, I just find it too useful to forego.

Although we don't get a lot of snow here in North Carolina, we do get some. This past winter we got 10" in the lone large storm we had. Now, with that much snow, ground clearance becomes an issue and a Genesis with AWD wouldn't have done much better than one without. But with the more common 1" to 3" snowfalls that we have, it would make a considerable difference to have AWD.

But more importantly, AWD cars have improved a lot and they often handle better than RWD drive cars on snow-free twisty roads. AWD systems like the Genesis has are RWD biased, so that they're functionally RWD (or pretty clsoe to it) until there's a loss of traction. But if you start to slide, the power distribution is shifted. Also, traction from a standing start is superior because power is transmitted to all four wheels and thus more of it can be applied without spinning wheels. The more powerful the vehicle, the greater the benefits of AWD, as the limits of adhesion for two tires can more readily be reached. Now, in the most aggressive driving, RWD's handling characteristics do have advantages in that you can do some controlled sliding. But I virtually never drive that aggressively. So, for me, AWD has distinct advantages.

All that said, it's worth acknowledging that not all AWD systems are created equal. But I suspect that, given the team that worked on the G70's suspension and handling, this car will demonstrate good control with AWD and won't feel clumsy as poorly executed AWD systems can. But I won't know for sure until I drive one. If my expectations are confirmed, then the chief disadvantage of AWD will be added weight. More heft is always a bad thing in my book but I think the trade-off is worth the penalty.

Other people will have other use scenarios but for me, AWD is a definite plus.

GenesisYEG

Been here awhile...
Edmonton, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
As much as I love RWD, I voted AWD. The AWD systems in Genesis vehicles are rear-biased so you do have more of a RWD-like feeling yet with the poor-weather practicality that is very handy here in Canada. Additionally the G70 3.3T Sport's implementation of AWD is so fantastic (90/10 R-F bias in Sport mode, max 30% torque sent to the front, LSD) that it feels just like a RWD car that just has a bit of pull from the front. I am very, very impressed with the G70's performance.

PD705

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Depends on what you want as a driver. The RWD car definitely feels a bit lighter up front, if for no other reason than you can't feel the effect of the torque on the axle. I've yet to drive a RWD 3.3T, but I'd imagine that car is incredibly lively, especially with systems off.

Per the comments above, though, you really don't lose much of the fun-factor with the AWD. As it's so rear-biased you can still steer the car on the throttle, there's minimal increased understeer, and in slippery conditions the thing may as well be RWD if you're trying to have fun. It also makes the car more of a weapon in most driving conditions, because you really can use all the power with impunity.

For you Americans it really is a toss up and I don't think there's a wrong answer, but ultimately I can't imagine how AWD isn't a better choice for the vast majority.

g70manual

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I'm planning on RWD just to get the manual transmission. If it wasn't for that then I'd probably go for AWD.
Same here. Luckily I live in an area where awd is not necessary at all otherwise I would opt for that at the expense of the manual transmission.

The 3.3t would be great and I'm sure it's a blast but for everyday driving the four cylinder will be more than enough with the benefits of the weight reduction and better fuel economy.

Toddasaurus

Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Bump - now that USA is finally getting these cars, I want to see if everyone is still sticking with their initial choice!

Also, some useful info on AWD vs RWD....

According to the Stinger forum, it looks like AWD has substantially more drivetrain loss than RWD. To clarify, generally speaking an RWD 3.3 Stinger will get roughly ~330whp on a dyno, whereas an AWD Stinger will get ~290whp on an AWD Dyno. In addition to the increase in weight, AWD will actually put less power to the ground due to drivetrain friction/drag. That said, some people say the RWD Stinger and G70 feel more lively than their AWD counterparts, due to the increased weight. While this may be true to some extent, chances are the liveliness they feel is due to the increased power transfer and more tail happy nature of the drivetrain.

On the other hand, AWD, or HTRAC specifically on the G70 has a "Drift Mode" which is enabled by fully disabling stability control. That said, despite it being AWD it may behave a bit more like RWD in this setting. On top of this, as of today Tork Motorsports has the fastest 1/4 drag time on a 3.3 Stinger, ~11.98 seconds. It's RWD, but they were struggling with traction during all their runs. That said, with AWD you won't have to worry about traction no matter how much power you end up putting down - think about when it's raining, this will make a big difference. What good is all that RWD power when you can't even put it down on the road due to no traction in the wet?

Just some things to think about...

Last edited:

Dpaulc

Registered Member
It's strange to me that some people get to choose AWD or RWD. When you live in crappy weather, there isn't a choice. Besides the fact that dealerships only stock AWD.

PS I'm all about that heated steering wheel.

Toddasaurus

Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It's strange to me that some people get to choose AWD or RWD. When you live in crappy weather, there isn't a choice. Besides the fact that dealerships only stock AWD.

PS I'm all about that heated steering wheel.

This is true. Well, except for Canada, as they only get AWD (unless you get the 2.0 manual). Anyway, some states it sounds like will most likely only get AWD while others will only get RWD.

As for me, I'm on the fence about it. Seriously, each day I change my mind. As of right now I'm thinking RWD is for me. I'm sure I'll change my mind again...and again, and again... Hah.

Toddasaurus

Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I wonder if that is for all trims or only Sports trims!
Right? You'd think there would be at least some variations between trims. I mean, there has got to be a substantial difference in weight between the 2.0 and 3.3, along with the 6spd vs 8spd, and likewise AWD vs RWD.

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
If I lived in an area that has even a hint of snowy weather, I'd pick AWD every single time. I don't care about "racing" a family sedan.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^^ +1. my bet is the 2.0T RWD comes closest to the 50:50, especially the 6MT. no question the 3.3T, and in particular the 3.3T AWD, will be front heavy. still better than an audi, but more weight over the front axle nonetheless.

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
I've tried driving a 2009 RWD first gen Genesis in the snow and ice and let me tell you, it is NOT a fun experience. Don't go RWD regardless of the things you "may lose" on speed or whatever if you have wintery weather in your area.

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I've tried driving a 2009 RWD first gen Genesis in the snow and ice and let me tell you, it is NOT a fun experience. Don't go RWD regardless of the things you "may lose" on speed or whatever if you have wintery weather in your area.
This is exactly why I got AWD...in Virginia. May not snow at all...may get 4"...no matter. Just feel safer.

Similar to you...I had an Infiniti G37 Coupe...staggered summer tires. Nothing major happened...but enough to destroy 2 rims. Scary as hell.

Toddasaurus

Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I can understand that. I've driven FWD, RWD, and AWD in the snow. In fact, where I used to live got a lot of snow, and I can't help but shake my head when Oregon drivers freakout so badly when facing even the tiniest bit of snow. Anyway, AWD has certainly been the most stable, but I actually don't mind FWD or RWD in the snow. I've found that using snow tires makes the biggest difference, where even a RWD car handles relatively nicely in the ice and snow - but still, just like you said, it's still not as easy and reliable as AWD in those conditions - ESPECIALLY when going uphill on snowy roads. You just can't beat that AWD traction in slippery conditions.

Last edited:

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
Yeah we live in a town full of hilly roads and with RWD in snow or even a bit of ice you are the guy sitting at bottom of said hill holding up traffic while you spin out. RWD is technically doable in snow if done right plus you have to have a lot of luck, but I'm never going to try going that route any more.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^^ +1. my bet is the 2.0T RWD comes closest to the 50:50, especially the 6MT. no question the 3.3T, and in particular the 3.3T AWD, will be front heavy. still better than an audi, but more weight over the front axle nonetheless.
The RWD doesn't have a spare tire right?
I wonder if that was for weight distribution reasons or just to shed a few pounds.
My Prestige has a spare tire.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.