• AWD

Votes: 37 66.1%

• Total voters

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ correct. when i protested to the GXM and asked for a spare, i was told the RWD Sport dropped the spare since it was the most performance/handling-oriented trim. main goal was weight reduction and not weight distribution since the RWD Sport was already at or very near 50:50.

that said, i'd still rather have a spare for the extra ~50lbs...

ashmostro

Registered Member
Northern Virginia
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
RWD owner here. While I appreciate AWD and have owned AWD cars and enjoyed their dynamics, this time I wanted to go as light as possible. I always invest in winter tires, and just bought a set of Sottozero 3's which are far more crucial to traction than any other factor alone. I just have to be more careful than AWD cars in the snow, but that's fine with me.

Gee Bee

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
+1 on RWD for Northern Virginia. Also a RWD owner. In making the decision, I knew I'd go with a performance winter tire. I have to Pirelli Sottozero 3's on order, should be installed next week.

If they are anywhere near as good as the Pirelli Skorpions on my Jeep SRT, I will be pleased.

ashmostro

Registered Member
Northern Virginia
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
+1 on RWD for Northern Virginia. Also a RWD owner. In making the decision, I knew I'd go with a performance winter tire. I have to Pirelli Sottozero 3's on order, should be installed next week.

If they are anywhere near as good as the Pirelli Skorpions on my Jeep SRT, I will be pleased.
I ran sottozero3's on my F80 M3 the last two winters and they were really great in every situation other than deep snow over hard packed ice. Not what they were designed for obviously.

I think you'll like them a lot.

JayceM

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
When I finally get one, I'll get AWD. No snow where I live, but I like my heated steering wheels and I'm sure it'll be better for the rain too.

Gee Bee

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Looking forward to the the Pirelli Sottozero 3's, ashmostro. How many seasons / miles did you get out of them on your M3?

I'll gladly trade some ultimate handling for cold weather traction and the ability to handle a few inches of "partly cloudy."

ashmostro

Registered Member
Northern Virginia
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Looking forward to the the Pirelli Sottozero 3's, ashmostro. How many seasons / miles did you get out of them on your M3?

I'll gladly trade some ultimate handling for cold weather traction and the ability to handle a few inches of "partly cloudy."
Had em for two years and they still had a ton of tread left on them (have since sold the car in favor of something more track focused).

My guess is ~3 more seasons, maybe more. If you only mount them in the cold months and do an alignment between each summer-winter-summer transition (so 2x a year), both sets of tires will last a very long time.

ashmostro

Registered Member
Northern Virginia
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Here's a hilarious shot from last winter in Erie, PA when they got hit with record breaking snowfall. Car did remarkably well even in those conditions. 20171225_125243.jpg20171226_122135.jpg

Gee Bee

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The joys of lake effect snow. If the Pirelli's can handle that, they can handle the DC area storms.

Gee Bee

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
My only equivalent experience was many, many years ago, driving through Indiana in a blizzard in a mid-70's Olds Vista Cruiser. We take for granted how much more capable the cars we drive are today.

Dpaulc

Registered Member
My only equivalent experience was many, many years ago, driving through Indiana in a blizzard in a mid-70's Olds Vista Cruiser. We take for granted how much more capable the cars we drive are today.
Not just the cars, but the tire improvements too. It would be interesting to put the tires from the Olds Vista Cruiser on a modern 4WD/AWD system.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

larrymg1

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Lexington South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Self-Driving Cars, Tires, and the Great National Stupidity
"In what universe are all-season tires sufficient for all seasons? The one where people trust words over common sense. All-season ≠ good in all seasons. All-season is a catch-all. A compromise. If all-seasons were great in snow, snow tires wouldn't exist. If all-seasons were great summer tires, summer tires wouldn't exist. All-seasons are the sneakers of tires. You wouldn't wear sneakers instead of skis, or snowshoes to the beach. And yet people persist in the folly of using all-seasons through harsh winters. Then they crash. Sometimes they die."

ashmostro

Registered Member
Northern Virginia
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Self-Driving Cars, Tires, and the Great National Stupidity
"In what universe are all-season tires sufficient for all seasons? The one where people trust words over common sense. All-season ≠ good in all seasons. All-season is a catch-all. A compromise. If all-seasons were great in snow, snow tires wouldn't exist. If all-seasons were great summer tires, summer tires wouldn't exist. All-seasons are the sneakers of tires. You wouldn't wear sneakers instead of skis, or snowshoes to the beach. And yet people persist in the folly of using all-seasons through harsh winters. Then they crash. Sometimes they die."
Absolutely could not agree more with this sentiment. I'll never run A/S tires for this very reason, no matter the climate. There's just no point other than laziness.

Dpaulc

Registered Member
Absolutely could not agree more with this sentiment. I'll never run A/S tires for this very reason, no matter the climate. There's just no point other than laziness.
The problem is lack of education and budget. Types of tires aren't something that's taught when getting a license. And some may know the benefits but lack the budget.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Depends on where you live. In a place that get two snowfalls of an inch or two a winter, you won't easily convince car owners to invest in winter tires. An all season with good tread is better than a summer tire. If you live in Arizona and commute to the Mojave on a regular basis, summer tires are needed, but if the high in your area is 80 degrees and 5 miles to the mall is a long trip, most any tire will do.

ashmostro

Registered Member
Northern Virginia
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Depends on where you live. In a place that get two snowfalls of an inch or two a winter, you won't easily convince car owners to invest in winter tires. An all season with good tread is better than a summer tire. If you live in Arizona and commute to the Mojave on a regular basis, summer tires are needed, but if the high in your area is 80 degrees and 5 miles to the mall is a long trip, most any tire will do.
Save freezing weather, summer tires do everything a/s tires do, only better. That includes wet weather traction. And with modern organic chem tech, they are lasting longer than ever.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.